DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPhone 1200 nits

Welsh pilot

Reactions
Well now we have a new iphone that’s brighter than the smart controller and a bigger screen!
Seems that the best option would be to go for the upgrade phone and old controller for a better FPV.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
A little pricey. Would be scared that I would break it!

Reactions: Welsh pilot
Well now we have a new iphone that’s brighter than the smart controller and a bigger screen!
Seems that the best option would be to go for the upgrade phone and old controller for a better FPV.
Any thoughts?
That's peak brightness, typical is 800nits. Also factor in its using OLED which is a recipe for screen burn-in/ghosting makes it not the best choice. Found this out the hard way on my note 8 which also boasts 1200nit peak brightness. Now I'm always reminded of Go4 when I use my phone, even when it's not running ??

Any thoughts?

Your thread appears to be the 1st of two threads running on this topic.

I too was hopeful when I heard mention of 1200 nits on the new iPhone 11 Pro during the keynote presentation. I don't think you are going to see 1200 nits on the new iPhone 11 Pro very often.

The iPhone 11 Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

in the Display section for:

Both models:
  • True Tone display
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • Haptic Touch
  • 800 nits max brightness (typical); 1200 nits max brightness (HDR)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
"

Reactions: Welsh pilot
Trouble is that the iPhone automatically dims the screen when it gets too hot (to avoid overheating). When I'm out on a hot sunny day, my iphone 7 becomes almost unusable.

That is instantaneous peak HDR brightness and not anywhere near what that screen will be able to display continuously, so the SC and other Crystal Sky-based products are still going to be significantly brighter while avoiding all the battery issues and overheating/cold shutdowns that smartphones are known for.

The other concern is being an OLED, I would not want to have max brightness + a static image (the menus and flight data in the DJI app) on screen for extended periods of time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki