DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mav Mini Rookie

blaster

Reactions
Greetings from LA (lower Alabama)-
Just received a Mav Mini as a gift for my retirement Jan 1st. Reading, researching, learning to fly. Appreciate any tips/information in getting started. Already read some good stuff on this site. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all!

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Diego.

Enjoy your new views of Alabama. Enjoy your retirement even more! Congratulations.

Welcome to the forum. I also fly an MM and have family in LA (Luverne). We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Welcome,
Make your first flights low and slow in wide open spaces.
In fact make all your outdoor practise flight in such places.
If possible either print the manual or take an electronic copy with you and when you encounter behaviour you can not understand, read up on the relevant section of the manual. It is easier to understand in association with experience than it is to understand it in the abstract.
The RTH behaviours are one thing that can catch people out and should be experienced in safe practise before they are encountered for real.
If you get caught in wind, try to descend and do not rely on RTH to get you home. It gives you a directional heading but then switch to S mode to manually fight the wind. Remember the MM's ability to fight wind is limited compared to other models.
DO NOT set the RTH height ridiculously high, 10m greater than that needed to clear obstacles in the return flight path is probably sufficient. Go too high and you run the unnecessary risk of encountering high winds. Besides which excessive heights wastes power in bothe the ascent and descent.

Just for clarity are you sure it is the DJI Mavic Mini you have been given rather than a DJI Mini 2? The former has a black controller and the latter a 'big' grey controller.
If it is the mini read up, here, on deformed propellor blades and the consequences.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Just received a Mav Mini as a gift for my retirement Jan 1st. Reading, researching, learning to fly. Appreciate any tips/information in getting started.
Here are some things to help you get started with your Mavic Mini:
  • The current Mavic Mini manual can be downloaded here (it doesn't come in the box). Other important documents can be found on the Mavic Mini downloads page.

• Check out this getting started guide for some tips not found in the Mavic Mini manual.

• Your drone batteries will last longer if you use and maintain them like this.

• Practice flying outdoors in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles. Don't attempt to fly inside your house or in other confined locations.

• The drone records flight data each time you fly. You can decrypt and view those flight logs with these tools.

• Check out MavicHelp.com for commonly used accessories you might need.

WELCOME to the forum :)

Welcome,
If possible either print the manual or take an electronic copy with you and when you encounter behaviour you can not understand, read up on the relevant section of the manual. It is easier to understand in association with experience than it is to understand it in the abstract.
The RTH behaviours are one thing that can catch people out and should be experienced in safe practise before they are encountered for real.
If you get caught in wind, try to descend and do not rely on RTH to get you home. It gives you a directional heading but then switch to S mode to manually fight the wind. Remember the MM's ability to fight wind is limited compared to other models.
DO NOT set the RTH height ridiculously high, 10m greater than that needed to clear obstacles in the return flight path is probably sufficient. Go too high and you run the unnecessary risk of encountering high winds. Besides which excessive heights wastes power in bothe the ascent and descent.

Just for clarity are you sure it is the DJI Mavic Mini you have been given rather than a DJI Mini 2? The former has a black controller and the latter a 'big' grey controller.
If it is the mini read up, here, on deformed propellor blades and the consequences.
Phi
Welcome,

Thanks for the information! Yes mine is Mini (black controls). Have read some on prop deformation. Any thoughts on most common cause? I have Fly More Case, I understand bottom prop position per case instructions. Trying to avoid problems early!

Oh boy!
Prop deformation was/is caused by a storage position either puts weight on the prop blades or that requires them to be bent to get into that position and which may then also lead to their bearing weight. Basically for rear blades this amounts to them pointing across the body i.e. the position shown in that label in the case, if your blade are unwarped etc look at them VERY carefully as you intermesh them to reach the across the body position, you should see they have to be bent to intermesh with one another etc. etc,

In brief my suggestions of the mini flymore case with the step in the floor, are
1) point the rear blades somewhat forward under the gimbal cover with a foam spacer between them that fits into the gimbal cover catch
2) place the front blades over their arms with 3 foam blocks to locate them,
I have also cut away the forward shoulders of the recesses for the rear motors so as to give the rear blades more swing room.
Mine has been stored like this since I got it.

There's a major discussion of storage over in Mavic Mini class action info speed error and I have given up reading that.

PS the orange is, in general, my attempt at bird deterrent colouring but on the gimbal cover it is a "don't forget to remove the cover" reminder, the flap of orange covers the drone's on off button.

Attachments

• mini rear blades under nose 2.jpg
    mini rear blades under nose 2.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 4
  • mini storage 2.jpg
    mini storage 2.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 4
  • mini storage 1.jpg
    mini storage 1.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy!
Prop deformation was/is caused by a storage position either puts weight on the prop blades or that requires them to be bent to get into that position and which may then also lead to their bearing weight. Basically for rear blades this amounts to them pointing across the body i.e. the position shown in that label in the case, if your blade are unwarped etc look at them VERY carefully as you intermesh them to reach the across the body position, you should see they have to be bent to intermesh with one another etc. etc,

In brief my suggestions of the mini flymore case with the step in the floor, are
1) point the rear blades somewhat forward under the gimbal cover with a foam spacer between them that fits into the gimbal cover catch
2) place the front blades over their arms with 3 foam blocks to locate them,
I have also cut away the forward shoulders of the recesses for the rear motors so as to give the rear blades more swing room.
Mine has been stored like this since I got it.

There's a major discussion of storage over in Mavic Mini class action info speed error and I have given up reading that.
WOW! Thank you for your time and for this information. Great info - it definitely will remind me - not to store in Flymore case without mods to protect props! Thank you again!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor