DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro... grounded! (For a good reason)

edmartin123

Reactions
My M2P arrived yesterday. Got a little bit of flight time in with it last night and was really looking forward to getting home early today and playing.

M2P power on. Controller power on. Then... "In NFZ" is blazing across the RC screen. Reboot... must be a mistake, right? "In NFZ" again. WTF? I've been flying various drones out of my back yard for years. And then it dawned on me...

I live about 20 miles north of Charlotte, NC. President Trump is in Charlotte today. I fired up Airmap and sure enough, there is a huge no fly zone in a 30 nautical mile radius around the city of Charlotte: "Temporary flight restrictions for VIP Movement".

I'm sure around DC, people are used to this. But Air Force One doesn't zip into Charlotte very often. And I've got to admit, I think it's pretty cool that they are able to lock down sensitive airspace this way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised? But I am.

Well, the restriction lists at 6:00 PM... so I guess I've got some manual reading time while the President is in town.

OK just deleted and warned 2 members and if anymore political remarks are made I will deal with
them in the same fashion and close this .

My M2P arrived yesterday. Got a little bit of flight time in with it last night and was really looking forward to getting home early today and playing.

M2P power on. Controller power on. Then... "In NFZ" is blazing across the RC screen. Reboot... must be a mistake, right? "In NFZ" again. WTF? I've been flying various drones out of my back yard for years. And then it dawned on me...

I live about 20 miles north of Charlotte, NC. President Trump is in Charlotte today. I fired up Airmap and sure enough, there is a huge no fly zone in a 30 nautical mile radius around the city of Charlotte: "Temporary flight restrictions for VIP Movement".

I'm sure around DC, people are used to this. But Air Force One doesn't zip into Charlotte very often. And I've got to admit, I think it's pretty cool that they are able to lock down sensitive airspace this way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised? But I am.

Well, the restriction lists at 6:00 PM... so I guess I've got some manual reading time while the President is in town.

I'm sure the organization with ill intent will pack up and go home due to the TFR bullseyes over the government VIPs.

That’s pretty cool.. good share

I noticed the update AirMap did the other day corrected a lot of errors and omissions in my area too. But it sounds like the app might be more aware of TFRs now... and if so, good on them! It can be quite time consuming some days to get this information from the FAA website... government websites being what they are.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I’m a part 107 pilot and My only experience was with a mavic that did not belong to me that refused to takeoff even though we were not in controlled airspace. We were near a non-towered airport and wanted to do a low level flight down the river and under the drawbridge.

Super frustrating.

I keep older firmware on my personal mavic and never update the no fly database because of this issue.

So the mavic alone does not connect to any internet network or cell network unless you have you're cell phone connected. What happens if you connect you're phone in airplane mode? Or does the dji app still require logging in to enable flight?

So the mavic alone does not connect to any internet network or cell network unless you have you're cell phone connected. What happens if you connect you're phone in airplane mode? Or does the dji app still require logging in to enable flight?
Airplane mode is fine. I use an iPad which does not have a cellular contract so it has no internet connection. It is not needed to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman