DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro... grounded! (For a good reason)

Sorry, newbie question - what database does the Mavic use to identify NFZs? Is it the same one the AirMap app uses?

i am kinda confused, so dji can temporarily halt all drone flights for these type of events correct? if u fired up your new mav2 in airplane mode would u have made the flight and possibly been fined? its not illegal to not connect your drone to the internet is it? i know modded drones are a different story but i am talking about simply not connecting to the internet

Even if you find a way around it, it's still illegal. I don't know how the app updates and grants permission, but the premise is flawed in that it's still your responsibility to know about temporary flight restrictions.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
If you are referring to your display, it doesn't make any difference as you don't use cellular networks to fly.
yes i know u dont need data to fly, i am wondering if dji grounds all flights temporarily in a certain area and u are in airplane mode and havent connected the internet in a few days and u fly could u be fined for flying in a temp nfz?

yes i know u dont need data to fly, i am wondering if dji grounds all flights temporarily in a certain area and u are in airplane mode and havent connected the internet in a few days and u fly could u be fined for flying in a temp nfz?

Yes you could, so if you wish to avoid any issues, connect your app to WiFi just before you fly to ensure you have the latest NFZ database.

This isn’t foolproof as of course a temp restriction could be introduced in the time between updating and flying.

IIRC, either the flight controller or the 3 in 1 board in the older aircraft (or maybe it was the Go app itself, or both) will actually cache the last known NFZ database and refer to that in the absence of a network connection. I can't speak for the M2, since mine hasn't yet arrived :(

This won't tell you about any temporary zones like the one that's grounded you though, so it's always best to connect if you're in a town or city just to make sure.

I don't rely on DJI, my iPad mini is always in airplane mode. Shouldn't this be part of your preflight, I prefer UAV. It would be a shame to find out what sophisticated electronic gear the Secret Service are using the hard way. This is what it looks like when the president comes to town.

upload_2018-9-8_10-15-40.png

Well I just got shut down in a NFZ because we are having an air show this week.

They increased the no fly zone from 5 miles to about a 25 mile radius around the air port.

Now I am all for safety but we are already limited to 400 feet and any manned aircraft
flying lower than that is on a suicide mission.

For safety sake why not limit us to 200 feet or even 100 feet.

Well I just got shut down in a NFZ because we are having an air show this week.

They increased the no fly zone from 5 miles to about a 25 mile radius around the air port.

Now I am all for safety but we are already limited to 400 feet and any manned aircraft
flying lower than that is on a suicide mission.

For safety sake why not limit us to 200 feet or even 100 feet.
one word,,,,,,,,,,,"nld" enough said,,,,,, hahah

Reactions: AnzacJack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demoyne