DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic owner... Calibration question

Daniel

Reactions
So, I have been watching Youtube videos and the DJI videos, and in reference to calibrating the Mavic, it says to keep away from metallic objects. So, I have metal screws in my back and a metal hip, is this going to present an issue when calibrating. Also, we know belt buckles, watches, phones etc.. all have metallic objects.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks.

Daniel

So, I have been watching Youtube videos and the DJI videos, and in reference to calibrating the Mavic, it says to keep away from metallic objects. So, I have metal screws in my back and a metal hip, is this going to present an issue when calibrating. Also, we know belt buckles, watches, phones etc.. all have metallic objects.

Thanks.

Daniel
The metal hip may be a problem.

No, they mean very large metal structures, generators, or like concrete with alot of rebar. I wear a watch, have had my phone in my pocket, been next to my pick-up truck, sidearm on my hip... no issues...

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel
No, they mean very large metal structures. I wear a watch, have had my phone in my pocket, been next to my pick-up truck, sidearm on my hip... no issues...

Super thanks.. if there is an indication of an issue, it shows in "amber" during the calibration, correct?

Thanks.

Daniel

Take it from me, your hip and back are nothing to concern yourself with at all in regards to your.drone, unless you have a dreaded flyaway and have to walk real far to find it or bend down to get it!

The kind of metal most likely in your hip and back - either titanium and/or platinum - are non-conductive, non-magnetic, and not a problem at all during your calibrations. That kind of metal is specifically used so that you are not walking around conductive or prone to magnetism, etc. If they weren't then a MRI exam - which uses incredibly strong rotating magnets to obtain the clearest images available of internal tissue, bone and more - would simply rip a metallic hip or other implant out of a patient.

I know this firsthand as I have 2 metallic hips, a titanium interlaced graft where part of my natural aorta used to be (until it blew up 4 years ago and was replaced due to a rare life-threatening condition that boasts only a 10% survival rate), and the lower third of my back - my entire lumbar region - now being composed of 2 donated cadaver vertabrae and an elaborate array and network of platinum/titanium cages, screws, plates and more holding me together. On some days I'm kinda like the Tin Man needing an oil can every now and then.

Both of the drones I fly stress no metal being around during their calibrations, and I've never had any problems getting any of my calibrations to be tack-sharp being quite the metal-reinforced individual that I am.

My suggestion is to just take it easy with the hip and back, really. Drone flying isn't an overly physically demanding job, but it does keep you on your feet more than usual, which is often not a welcome thing to do for those of us with back and hip problems. So don't be too proud to take along a folding chair with you if you can use it, regardless of your age. Be comfortable and pain-free, not too proud to use what works. Heck, I can see one of those carts they have nowadays in huge shopping centers being in my future one day down the road, and if so I'll use it.

Of course, I'm REALLY hoping that by then it'll all be done by drone instead!

Reactions: Daniel
Take it from me, your hip and back are nothing to concern yourself with at all in regards to your.drone, unless you have a dreaded flyaway and have to walk real far to find it or bend down to get it!

The kind of metal most likely in your hip and back - either titanium and/or platinum - are non-conductive, non-magnetic, and not a problem at all during your calibrations. That kind of metal is specifically used so that you are not walking around conductive or prone to magnetism, etc. If they weren't then a MRI exam - which uses incredibly strong rotating magnets to obtain the clearest images available of internal tissue, bone and more - would simply rip a metallic hip or other implant out of a patient.

I know this firsthand as I have 2 metallic hips, a titanium interlaced graft where part of my natural aorta used to be (until it blew up 4 years ago and was replaced due to a rare life-threatening condition that boasts only a 10% survival rate), and the lower third of my back - my entire lumbar region - now being composed of 2 donated cadaver vertabrae and an elaborate array and network of platinum/titanium cages, screws, plates and more holding me together. On some days I'm kinda like the Tin Man needing an oil can every now and then.

Both of the drones I fly stress no metal being around during their calibrations, and I've never had any problems getting any of my calibrations to be tack-sharp being quite the metal-reinforced individual that I am.

My suggestion is to just take it easy with the hip and back, really. Drone flying isn't an overly physically demanding job, but it does keep you on your feet more than usual, which is often not a welcome thing to do for those of us with back and hip problems. So don't be too proud to take along a folding chair with you if you can use it, regardless of your age. Be comfortable and pain-free, not too proud to use what works. Heck, I can see one of those carts they have nowadays in huge shopping centers being in my future one day down the road, and if so I'll use it.

Yeah, very valid points.. thanks.. I have zero issues with my hip or back, now that I am the bionic-man. I am able to walk/run and bend over etc.. with no issues. thanks.. and best of luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair