DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro New Orleans - Jackson Square, City Park, Audubon Park & Zoo, Loyola and Tulane,

Wow. Very nice work - shooting and editing. Great music, too.

Be aware of the limitations of drone operations at Audubon Park and the zoo. The managing group prohibits drones in both facilities. Their policy also prohibits drone flights over both, though that's not likely to be enforceable.

City Park regulations prohibit drone operations in the park. There are signs posted in the park. Again, flying over the park is a different issue.

Be aware of the controlled airspace for Armstrong and Lakefront Airports. (The flights in the video weren't there.) LAANC services are available for both.

Note: Not a "drone police" post. I'm simply suggesting that anyone contemplating flying drones in New Orleans ought to be aware of the potential problems. Personally, I've stayed away from Audubon Park, the zoo, and City Park and done most of my flying along the river, focusing on ships and bridges. Lots of interesting things to see.

A side note: At the 2022 Jazz Fest, some fool flew a DJI drone over tens of thousands of people, descended to about 20 feet above the Fairgrounds infield, panned around, and zipped away to the northwest. I never heard anything about it being reported.

Nice video!

Wow. Very nice work - shooting and editing. Great music, too.

Be aware of the limitations of drone operations at Audubon Park and the zoo. The managing group prohibits drones in both facilities. Their policy also prohibits drone flights over both, though that's not likely to be enforceable.

City Park regulations prohibit drone operations in the park. There are signs posted in the park. Again, flying over the park is a different issue.

Be aware of the controlled airspace for Armstrong and Lakefront Airports. (The flights in the video weren't there.) LAANC services are available for both.

Note: Not a "drone police" post. I'm simply suggesting that anyone contemplating flying drones in New Orleans ought to be aware of the potential problems. Personally, I've stayed away from Audubon Park, the zoo, and City Park and done most of my flying along the river, focusing on ships and bridges. Lots of interesting things to see.

A side note: At the 2022 Jazz Fest, some fool flew a DJI drone over tens of thousands of people, descended to about 20 feet above the Fairgrounds infield, panned around, and zipped away to the northwest. I never heard anything about it being reported.
Thanks for that info. I couldn't find any restrictions on drone use in Audubon or City Park and didn't see any signs posted. I'll be sure to launch from outside the parks next time. I definitely didn't fly over the Audubon Zoo. I did attend JazzFest this year, but didn't fly anywhere near the Fairgrounds. The shots of Jackson Square were all flown over the river.

Reactions: MS Coast
Thanks for that info. I couldn't find any restrictions on drone use in Audubon or City Park and didn't see any signs posted. I'll be sure to launch from outside the parks next time. I definitely didn't fly over the Audubon Zoo. I did attend JazzFest this year, but didn't fly anywhere near the Fairgrounds. The shots of Jackson Square were all flown over the river.
With FAA airspace regulations, it's straightforward to sort out what's what with the B4youfly app. But, it's frustrating to figure out local regulations and restrictions. I flew several flights at the lake in Defuniak Springs, Florida and had no idea there was a town regulation prohibiting it until I stumbled across it a couple of months later.

We saw a couple of no-drone signs in City Park, near the Cafe du Monde branch. A couple of years ago, a steam locomotive came through NO and we filmed it at several locations across the river, on the Huey P. Long Bridge, in Armstrong Airport's controlled airspace (with LAANC), and at The Fly, adjacent to the Zoo. When prepping for that, I ran across a drone restriction on the zoo's website that eventually led me to Audubon Park's restriction.

I hope you enjoyed Jazz Fest. This was only the second year in the last 20 or so that I missed being there and working in m friends' red beans and rice booth. I think I picked up Covid listening to Randy Newman in the Blues Tent in 2022.

I'm going to share your video with a few folks.

With FAA airspace regulations, it's straightforward to sort out what's what with the B4youfly app. But, it's frustrating to figure out local regulations and restrictions. I flew several flights at the lake in Defuniak Springs, Florida and had no idea there was a town regulation prohibiting it until I stumbled across it a couple of months later.

We saw a couple of no-drone signs in City Park, near the Cafe du Monde branch. A couple of years ago, a steam locomotive came through NO and we filmed it at several locations across the river, on the Huey P. Long Bridge, in Armstrong Airport's controlled airspace (with LAANC), and at The Fly, adjacent to the Zoo. When prepping for that, I ran across a drone restriction on the zoo's website that eventually led me to Audubon Park's restriction.

I hope you enjoyed Jazz Fest. This was only the second year in the last 20 or so that I missed being there and working in m friends' red beans and rice booth. I think I picked up Covid listening to Randy Newman in the Blues Tent in 2022.

I'm going to share your video with a few folks.
Yeh, 2021 was insane the 2nd weekend Saturday. I got COVID on the flight down last year. Didn’t recognize it until I tested on my return. Also went to Mardi Gras this year. This year Friday JazzFest I spent 2/3 of my time in lines, 1/3 actually seeing music. Going cashless slowed everything down. Saturday it rained and I finally got my Cochon du lait. I see a lot more music at the night shows Saenger, Joy, Orpheum, then dba, Chickie Wah, Maple Leaf and Daze Between shows, Crawfish Fest. Here’s a video of the food vendors I captured in 2014.

Last edited:
Yeh, 2021 was insane the 2nd weekend Saturday. I got COVID on the flight down last year. Didn’t recognize it until I tested on my return. Also went to Mardi Gras this year. This year Friday JazzFest I spent 2/3 of my time in lines, 1/3 actually seeing music. Going cashless slowed everything down. Saturday it rained and I finally got my Cochon du lait. I see a lot more music at the night shows Saenger, Joy, Orpheum, then dba, Chickie Wah, Maple Leaf and Daze Between shows, Crawfish Fest. Here’s a video of the food vendors I captured in 2014.

That's a great video. The variety of music and food available at Jazz Fest is unrivaled. The red beans booth is there at 2:35. Dr. John used to send someone over to pick up a plate every year. The cochon du lait folks are just down the way a bit; we do a lot of trading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_