DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot from Canada

Hello, all. I'm a new member from Sooke, BC Canada.

I wanted a small, high-quality, very portable aircraft, so I bought a Mini 2 Fly More package (of course, a few weeks after I bought it, the Mini 3 came out).

So far, I'm loving it. We're moving out of the country, need to sell our home, so some drone footage for the listing seemed like a great idea....and I had the Mini 2, so I figured "How hard can it be?" Well, it was a lot harder than I thought, that's for sure! My property is over an acre, and is populated by 150' cedar and fir trees, with not much open area. That makes it a lot more challenging for a brand-new pilot (never flown a drone before). So, it's learn-as-I-go. I used to fly fixed-wing RC airplanes, and still have the muscle memory for that, which has caused me problems as the sticks on the Mini 2 have very different controls, but I'm learning.

I have noted a couple of issues, though, that I hope some here can shed some light on. Yesterday, I had the drone hovering about 6' up & 6' away from me when it suddenly ascended to about 20' & rotated 90 degrees, with no input from me. At that point I had absolutely zero control over it. Battery was at over 90%, GPS signal was solid, phone was at 95%, etc. I had also previously performed all the firmware updates as recommended (and subsequent flights were totally normal...until this one).

That was spooky!! After a minute or two, control returned (with no actions from me, as none seemed to be available) & all was normal again. Since I have to do some flying over water (ocean) tomorrow, I'm worried this might happen again.

Anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions on what to do if it does happen again?

My second issue is that when flying around and among trees & bushes, the drone drifts a lot - side to side & up and down - which makes it tricky when flying close to foliage. Is it possible that the GPS signal was weak with overhead bushes & allowed it to drift?

Thanks...
Zetec7, don’t feel bad about missing out on the Mini 3…the Mini 2 is a great bird. BTW, I’m just across the straight in Steveston.

Have fun familiarizing yourself with the Mini 2 and before you know it, you’ll be the first to buy the Mini 4😂

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J