DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Regulations? Where can I fly?

So outside the green box is ok to fly then. Why would a small air park not be listed with green boxes and would I need to fly 5 miles from that or get air park authorization?

Why would a small air park not be listed with green boxes
Are you referring to the authorized fixed flying sites -- like an AMA field?

No, there is a small air park about 2 miles from where I live. It’s not listed on the map as green boxes. See attached. So I’m curious what the protocol would be when flying near or around.

Attachments

• 854EEE0F-7E49-48C9-B34D-6E15D8AFC1C1.jpeg
    854EEE0F-7E49-48C9-B34D-6E15D8AFC1C1.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 39
I’m curious what the protocol would be when flying near or around
Here's what the FAA recommends:

"When flying an unmanned aircraft, you are responsible for knowing the aircraft's altitude and its position in relation to other aircraft. You also are responsible for maintaining a safe distance from other aircraft by giving way to all other aircraft in all circumstances."

They go on to say:

"Conforming your actions with the guidance in this notice does not excuse or mitigate noncompliance with other applicable legal requirements. Additionally, if you operate your recreational unmanned aircraft carelessly or recklessly, the FAA may exercise existing authority to take enforcement action against you for endangering the national airspace system."

See more details in the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft notice.

In short, you don't want to fly near manned aircraft. You should steer clear of all airstrips in Class G airspace.

Reactions: brandon 1
So outside the green box is ok to fly then. Why would a small air park not be listed with green boxes and would I need to fly 5 miles from that or get air park authorization?

The "Boxes" are expected approval heights for that area that is within CONTROLLED airspace if you request approval through LAANC. This currently only applied to Part 107 but that should ( key word being SHOULD) change in the next 180 days.

The "flying site" you noted appears to not be in CONTROLLED airspace (Class G - Good to Go) so it would not appear in one of the colored boxed. That area appears to be good to go for a hobbyist.

this thread has gone a long way to explaining some things so thanks for that. but i have the same question as the other poster: last month before the changes, i found all these little airports all over the place with some type of restricted airspace and with this new map, they're all gone.

could it be this map represents where LAANC is currently available and eventually will be available but all those other little airports will not ever have LAANC so they don't show on the map but they still have some amount of controlled airspace with a 5 mile radius?

my city has gone from completely covered with overlapping circles to mostly empty with just a few boxes and that seems strange to me unless i am missing something new.

Reactions: brandon 1
this thread has gone a long way to explaining some things so thanks for that. but i have the same question as the other poster: last month before the changes, i found all these little airports all over the place with some type of restricted airspace and with this new map, they're all gone.

could it be this map represents where LAANC is currently available and eventually will be available but all those other little airports will not ever have LAANC so they don't show on the map but they still have some amount of controlled airspace with a 5 mile radius?

my city has gone from completely covered with overlapping circles to mostly empty with just a few boxes and that seems strange to me unless i am missing something new.

Before the changes every airport was a "notify if within 5 miles" and now it goes by the Class of airport. Some airports are in Uncontrolled space (Class G) so that's the reason for the difference.

I have a ? when LAANC becomes available to hobbyist will you be able to get clearance from home before you drive to your take off spot? Seem like you should be able to do this.

I have a ? when LAANC becomes available to hobbyist will you be able to get clearance from home before you drive to your take off spot? Seem like you should be able to do this.
Unless something changes, yes you can. You can apply for LAANC authorization in advance of the event. I always try to do so well in advance just to make sure there are no issues, even though it is practically instantaneous.

Reactions: Thomas B
LAANC will be an online system. No info has been put out on it yet but there is no reason to think that it won't accept future dates and times. I suspect for a reasonable amount of time in the future.

That leads to another issue. Surely the FAA cannot require an Internet connection as the only way to get authorization.

LAANC will be an online system. No info has been put out on it yet but there is no reason to think that it won't accept future dates and times. I suspect for a reasonable amount of time in the future.
LAANC is already operational. The only changes will be that recreational pilots will be able to use it. I use LAANC now for Part 107 flight authorization and overall it works quite well.

That leads to another issue. Surely the FAA cannot require an Internet connection as the only way to get authorization.
Well it is purely an online system. The website can be accessed any time and you can get your authorization well in advance. You then print out the authorization letter and take it with you when you fly.

LAANC will be an online system....

...That leads to another issue. Surely the FAA cannot require an Internet connection as the only way to get authorization.
Even when I turn WiFi off on my phone it will load websites... of course there may still be a few folks still without cellphones or computers, but I doubt if they use devices that require any tech savvy.

If plans are to fly in an area without cell service the idea mentioned above about getting approval in advance is a good one, barring sudden appearance of a temp NFZ

Even when I turn WiFi off on my phone it will load websites... of course there may still be a few folks still without cellphones or computers, but I doubt if they use devices that require any tech savvy.
We don't know if it will be the same system for hobby flight. If it were, why would it not be active right now?

If plans are to fly in an area without cell service the idea mentioned above about getting approval in advance is a good one, barring sudden appearance of a temp NFZ
Cell service or data service? If there is no phone number to call, then data service would be needed or the person would at least need data access before they plan on flying.

I know of plenty of places I've flown where I did not have any cell service, let alone data service. I know of several people that don't have data on their phones. I'd think the FAA would at least have a phone number a person can call.

Here is my prediction... the FAA will farm this system out (as it probably has done already) and hobby fliers will now be charged like commercial fliers are (there is a charge for the test). I'm guessing that test hobby fliers now need to take.... there will be a "charge" for that. That is probably the hold up on this whole thing. The FAA is determining out how to pay for everything.

Wifi is one way to connect but cell phones can also use data from cell towers. What I'm looking at is accessing the system while in the "field". No wifi available. Before a person could call the airport. Now they need to have some type of data connection.

Right now, as a Part 107 operator, we can do it in advance (I'm not sure how far as the longest in advance I've done is a few weeks) or do it at the time of flight. I would HIGHLY suggest doing them in advance in case there is a problem.

IIRC you'll have to enable "Web Access" at the flying site anyway in order for the Authorization to become ACTIVE.

Keep in mind.... .that while most "realistic" requests are approved very quickly there could be extenuating circumstances that could cause a simple request to get denied. For instance if there is some alternative airport traffic pattern etc. Remember they can reject if it compromises SAFETY in any way. Actually, with the new law, they "CAN" reject pretty easily.

Unless something changes, yes you can. You can apply for LAANC authorization in advance of the event. I always try to do so well in advance just to make sure there are no issues, even though it is practically instantaneous.
good to know as I don't have data on my phone. thanks for the reply

someone will correct me if i am wrong but green box = LAANC yes and red box = LAANC no

That's my understanding as well. I suspect that more will become "Green" over the next 6 months as LAANC matures.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhinodrone