DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Zealand

Kajtek

Reactions
I will be visiting New Zealand starting Feb 25 till March 25 visiting North and South,
I was searching for rules and it seems that the rules for mini are the same as for larger drones <25kg
I have Mini 3 pro and Mavic 3 and often take both for flying mini where larger drones are not allowed.
If there are no different rules for mini <250g in NZ then I will take only Mavic 3.
I know about AirShare app.

If anybody have suggestions for nice spots to fly I would be grateful if you share

I will be visiting New Zealand starting Feb 25 till March 25 visiting North and South,
I was searching for rules and it seems that the rules for mini are the same as for larger drones <25kg
I have Mini 3 pro and Mavic 3 and often take both for flying mini where larger drones are not allowed.
If there are no different rules for mini <250g in NZ then I will take only Mavic 3.
I know about AirShare app.

If anybody have suggestions for nice spots to fly I would be grateful if you share
Having been to both the north and south islands, I can attest to the fact that you just cannot go wrong anywhere as far as beautiful scenery and mountains. My preference was the South Island, filled with beautiful mountains, glaciers, fjords, etc. As far as the legal requirements, I have no knowledge. You just have to do your due diligence.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: twickers14
My family lived at the south end of the South Island for a year about a decade ago. My wife and I will return in a year to see friends and tramp for a couple of months.

In anticipation of our trip, I've started doing similar research. Obviously, the best places that you'd want to fly are in the national parks. The drone laws for NZ national parks "appear" to be slightly more lenient than US parks (I don't know where your home base is), but in reality the practical answer is no to flying in national parks.

Drones in NZ Parks

I just checked so that I could be clearer and it appears that the laws are even stricter than I thought! You'll need a permit to fly on much of the West Coast of the South Island where there are Conservation Areas: Recreational drone use

That being said, there are so many places in NZ that aren't national parks and that are spectacular! And, you'll have decent views of many national park properties from towns near the parks. Bwill211's link is what I've reviewed to prepare. Queenstown (Skippers Canyon!) and Wanaka are great places to consider flying; Te Anau; Rotorua; Hot Water Beach; Waiheke Island; Stewart Island. You'll have to be aware of where you're flying in terms of national parks on the West Coast of the South Island - lots of beautiful parks there, but off limits. Take the drive from Christchurch to Hokitika over Arthur's Pass if you can - my favorite!

Here's a great link for you: NZ Topo Map

This link might help you to delineate the park boundaries. https://www.doc.govt.nz/

Good luck,

Tim

Last edited:
When you open the DOC maps, make certain that you choose to see the Public Conservation Areas, so that you'll know where the boundaries are of where you can and can't fly!
DOC map.jpg

When you open the DOC maps, make certain that you choose to see the Public Conservation Areas, so that you'll know where the boundaries are of where you can and can't fly!
View attachment 172664
Thanks I will use plus AirShare App. It is better than what we have in Canada as it shows parks and I assume all restricted areas. In Canada many parks that have restrictions are not mapped on official maps.

Another question: It seems that Airshare App requires to validate all flights even in areas that there are no restrictions at all and then register the flight then confirm and then to Activate Flight.
Is it necessary to use Airshare to register all flights in NZ.

I am a mavic drone flyer in New Zealand. Hope you have a great time when you get here. You are not required to validate any flights with Airshare unless they are to take place in a restricted area. It's usefull to check the info about 'sheltered flights'. This category of flights will often allow you to fly in places that are otherwise restricted.

I am a mavic drone flyer in New Zealand. Hope you have a great time when you get here. You are not required to validate any flights with Airshare unless they are to take place in a restricted area. It's usefull to check the info about 'sheltered flights'. This category of flights will often allow you to fly in places that are otherwise restricted.
Do you mean a "shielded flight"?

Thanks. I read about shielded option. I think that this is a very friendly rule to drone users.
Do you have any nice spots for drone flying with GPS location?

Sorry my mistake. You are of course correct, the term is 'shielded'.
If you are in Auckland and have time there are some good shots to be had out on the west coast. There are rugged black sand surf beaches behind cliffs and rises (Piha). Travel time by car from Auckland city about 30/40 minutes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13