DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

newbie cell phone or tablet question

mig

Reactions
I have not owned a drone before and I am trying to do as much researching before I purchase. I am leaning towards the Mavic, and my question is with regards to the cell phone or tablet. I have a Samsung S7 edge, and I read above that this phone doesn't work with the mavic, so if not, I also have a S5 that is not connected to a network, so would it work with the mavic, tethered to my s7 edge which is on a network? Also, I would think a larger tablet would be easier to view, so my questions regarding that is a: is there adapters that allow a larger tabet to attach to the mavic and b: how much do you really view your flight though the monitor or is a small screen suffice while flying, and really more interesting afterwards viewing your flight on your PC afterwards and concentrating more on the actual flying while flying. Possibly likened to watching a concert, race, or whatever event through your cell phone and feeling like you missed the real thing.... Its like a couple weeks ago, we drove by an eagle on a tree close to the road, so my wife says, quick grab your phone and take a video.. so while I'm fumbling getting my cell, and viewing the bird through my phone, the bird flew away... and I feel like I missed the real thing...
So I guess not having flown a drone before I am wondering what others find is preferable in a monitor while flying.

is there adapters that allow a larger tabet to attach to the mavic
There are many tablet mounts available. You can find a few here.

how much do you really view your flight though the monitor or is a small screen suffice while flying
If you're shooting video and/or taking photos, you'll be using the monitor often to line up the shot.

Reactions: jointeffort and mig
I have not owned a drone before and I am trying to do as much researching before I purchase. I am leaning towards the Mavic, and my question is with regards to the cell phone or tablet. I have a Samsung S7 edge, and I read above that this phone doesn't work with the mavic, so if not, I also have a S5 that is not connected to a network, so would it work with the mavic, tethered to my s7 edge which is on a network? Also, I would think a larger tablet would be easier to view, so my questions regarding that is a: is there adapters that allow a larger tabet to attach to the mavic and b: how much do you really view your flight though the monitor or is a small screen suffice while flying, and really more interesting afterwards viewing your flight on your PC afterwards and concentrating more on the actual flying while flying. Possibly likened to watching a concert, race, or whatever event through your cell phone and feeling like you missed the real thing.... Its like a couple weeks ago, we drove by an eagle on a tree close to the road, so my wife says, quick grab your phone and take a video.. so while I'm fumbling getting my cell, and viewing the bird through my phone, the bird flew away... and I feel like I missed the real thing...
So I guess not having flown a drone before I am wondering what others find is preferable in a monitor while flying.
I can actually fit my 8" samsung tablet in the Mavic remote nicley.

quick grab your phone and take a video.. so while I'm fumbling getting my cell, and viewing the bird through my phone, the bird flew away... and I feel like I missed the real thing...

I am an avid landscape photographer so this speaks to me. In fact, I put reminder notes on my tripod to be sure I consider these things:
  • margins (include more than necessary for cropping options)
  • histogram (include different exposure options)
  • zanshin: Japanese for "presence of mind, being in the moment, proper unrushed follow-through"
For the last one, remember to "be there." Take a break before or after each battery, not touching your equipment. Breathe the mountain air, feel the breeze. You drove or hiked this far... enjoy the location not just the photos or movies later.

Reactions: jointeffort
I use an older Note4. Ive flown a phantom 3 adv and a phantom 4, works great. When I got my mavic I got a message on the screen it was getting interference. To turn off wifi on my phone / tablet. Since I also fly a Phantom 4 with the Note 4 I started putting my phone in airplane mode. Works great. If you know where you are going to fly before hand you can download a large section of google maps for off line use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580