DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question about flying in rain

The bottom line here is if you fly in the rain then your camera lens will get soaking wet and prevent you from taking good, clear video or getting clear photos. Whatever the wetsuit claims, I don't see how it can protect the lens from getting wet. I mean, isn't that the reason you want to fly it in the first place? To get good, clear photos and video?

Bud

Hi all, I am really wanting to use a Mavic 2 for my business to take rooftop assessments for solar. Being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 9 months of the year I am concerned about the options for rain flying. I am considering the Phantom Rain wetsuit, but there are some mixed opinions. I get that the best option is to stay dry, but the choices for a real water-resistant or waterproof drone are nowhere near the same caliber as the Mavic 2. I would almost exclusively use the POI mode and flight time would be limited to maybe 10-15 minutes.
Anyone with some real-world experience with the Phantom Rain being used for more than the accidental rain shower?

Last edited:
It really helps to be able to say we FLY IN THE RAIN ! Not only is the Camera very protected but the video is almost always very clear. This is because the camera is very protected by the design of the Drone itself.

One of the problems we have is that when we fly in the rain, 9 times out of 10 you cannot even see the rain, it has to be an all out torrential rain.

You simply cannot Under Estimate how well designed the Mavic 2 is when comes to protecting the Glass on the Camera from Rain and Snow.

This video was sent to us from a client, just recently, and knowing his Battery was protected and Sealed allowed him not to panic and get some video footage.

Notice how he drops the camera down just a bit, but that the Rain can be seen, when he lands you can tell how hard it was raining for it to be captured on video.

The Mavic 2 Wet Suits not only protect your drone from the rain, but protects the batteries from MOISTURE something that causes the batteries to swell up. Protecting the batteries With the Wet Suits solve this problem.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

FORUM SPECIAL: 4 Color Designs for the Price of 1 We call it the TWILIGHT Wet Suit. $89.95
Email me : [email protected] Comes with 4 Battery Seals each one a different color to provide a different look for day and night flying.

We dont offer this on the Web Site .
Protect those batteries,

Reactions: ff22
FORUM SPECIAL: 4 Color Designs for the Price of 1 We call it the TWILIGHT Wet Suit. $89.95
Email me : [email protected] Comes with 4 Battery Seals each one a different color to provide a different look for day and night flying.

We dont offer this on the Web Site .
Protect those batteries,

View attachment 69319

Darn, I ordered too early. Still have not sat down to apply it but I also have not yet done my taxes - that's today's task!!!!

Darn, I ordered too early. Still have not sat down to apply it but I also have not yet done my taxes - that's today's task!!!!

Just make sure you watch the videos we sent you for a perfect install and if you need the Twilight Package , just email me.

Just buy a waterproof Drone. If you are just using it for roof inspection then you don't need 90% of what the Mavic Or Phantom has to offer. My best friend in FLA has this and takes it out on his boat in the salt water when he is fishing and has not had a problem, in a year.

Hi all, I am really wanting to use a Mavic 2 for my business to take rooftop assessments for solar. Being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 9 months of the year I am concerned about the options for rain flying. I am considering the Phantom Rain wetsuit, but there are some mixed opinions. I get that the best option is to stay dry, but the choices for a real water-resistant or waterproof drone are nowhere near the same caliber as the Mavic 2. I would almost exclusively use the POI mode and flight time would be limited to maybe 10-15 minutes.
Anyone with some real-world experience with the Phantom Rain being used for more than the accidental rain shower?
Just my two cents, many videos show flying in the rain, dumping water, or throwing water ballons at the Mavic 2's but there has never been, to my recollection, any report of long term damage to motors or eletronics from water entering in through the vents other areas. You can't seal everything off without having some serious overheating problems which if very serious as well. Why is that? You could probably fly rain or snow if you desire with no immediate affects to the quad, but honestly, would it be worth the risk? It's totally your call on all the answers you get here and elsewhere else. Best of luck with this...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter