DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

News on Android Nougat fixes?

Yzerman

Reactions
I have had my Mavic for a couple weeks now and i must say I'm quite dissapointed in DJI at this point. So many bugs on so many devices affecting so many different flight systems. It seems as if they rushed the product to market. I wish they would have just built in a touch screen on the AC. My issue is DJI Go crashes mid-flight, every flight. After digging for info I found that the flight system (not sure if RC or AC incompatiblity, probably RC) is incompatible with Android Nougat OS. I know they are working on a lot of different problems with a lot of different devices as well as numerous other bugs within the flight systems, but i dont think its right that I have to buy more products (device and/or leechi app) just to fly to full capabilities. Anyone have thoughts or a scoop on when Nougat problems will be fixex?

I personally don't know if there will be any fixes directly related to Nougat as there are just too many inconsistencies in the android OS as a whole. I mean why would I want a fix when DJI Go 4 works very well for me. Now I know there are a lot of people out there with problems and I'm sure some are incompatibility issues but I think a lot of the problems that most users are experiencing can be fixed one way or another.

I'm assuming you might have a galaxy phone/tab and I would gladly help someone who is willing to try and diagnose and fix the issues they are having. I'm also assuming you have non rooted/unlock device?

I received my Mavic in April and connected my htc 10 did all the updates and flew 3 batteries no problems, I did this a few times no issues. Started reading all the issues people where having with app crashes and disconnects and I couldn't understand why I was having no issues with it. After a couple of GO4 updates I started to experience background app force closures but the GO4 app has remained stable. Not to mention the RC charging the Android devices problem which made my htc 10 very hot indeed and trying to fly in this heat made it much worse.

So I bit the bullet and decided to root my phone as I had heard from someone on this forum say that if you're rooted you can disable the charging function on the device. So I rooted and installed a well known clean ROM on my phone then the DJI GO4 app and the usual other apps I have. Searched for a battery limiting app and found this [APP][ROOT][4.4+]Battery Charge Limit v0.10.0

So now I have a solid Android OS, the GO4 app is rock solid there are no more force closures and the RC doesn't charge my phone. So the consequences are that every flight battery my phone looses about 10% and the RC loses 3-5% compared to 20-30% before that's a huge decrease in battery usage. Plus the RC and phone are much cooler and it's more enjoyable to fly without potentially burning my fingers. Longevity!

If anyone would like to try a few fixes I'd be willing to assist them, because I believe we should all enjoy this hobby.

Thanks, Craig

... Anyone have thoughts or a scoop on when Nougat problems will be fixex?

As you can see from the post above, the problems are most likely with the implementation of Nougat on your device and the changes/additions that your phone manufacturer has made to the OS.

Fixes may come from firmware updates to your phone, but sometime rooting can be the best approach, but not one that everyone is comfortable with.

From DJI's perspective it remains a moving target as the phone manufacturers continue to make updates and deliver multiple different hardware versions even for a phone with the same name...

You can hope that as the pace of change slows down, DJI may be able to catch up, but I wouldn't expect major changes any time soon...

Reactions: Londonpilot
What phone are you using .. ? I use both a Hauwei Mate 8 with Nougat and a Sony Z2 with Nougat and have never EVER had the app crash. I use both Go4 and Lichi. Both run perfectly... Even on an older Hauwei G7 running lollipop

Thank you everyone for some great info. I'm using the LG G6. I still have my old iphone 6S, but it has a badly damaged screen. I'll replace it and use the device exclusively for flying. I know there are many moving variables for DJI to navigate, my hope is that they iron out the wrinkles before they lose pilots to rival systems because the products they release are incredible....when they work right that is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre