DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ unlocking

Sitka78

Reactions
Is it possible as a recreational pilot to unlock a NFZ for more than 3 days? In the past, I have been able to unlock for several months at a time. I live in an area that has a class "E" uncontrolled airport.

Is that class E to the surface? Otherwise there isn't a restriction, unless our little friends sitting behind a desk in China imposed one. With a blue authorization zone.

But I was looking through an airport facility directory. During the week it is E2, but on the weekends, it is G. Maybe our diligent friends over in China are nice enough to notice meticulous things like that instead of the blanket unlocking procedure involving holding my tongue just right.

Maybe in that case, maybe I don't even need to get a waiver from the FAA?

Is that class E to the surface? Otherwise there isn't a restriction, unless our little friends sitting behind a desk in China imposed one. With a blue authorization zone.

But I was looking through an airport facility directory. During the week it is E2, but on the weekends, it is G. Maybe our diligent friends over in China are nice enough to notice meticulous things like that instead of the blanket unlocking procedure involving holding my tongue just right.

Maybe in that case, maybe I don't even need to get a waiver from the FAA?
But it doesn't explain when that little friends from china locks you out in an area that has no restrictions what so ever. Especially when their kind enough to do it in an area in the middle of nowhere so you don't have cell reception to attempt to unlock.

Reactions: db4476
I don't get the need for DJI's central control, especially with Part 107 pilots or their international equivalents. Part 107 pilots have proven they know the rules, know how to read airmaps, look for NOTAM, TFR's etc. I wish Autel would up their game a bit, especially in the customer service area. Will DJI just brick your drone if you don't have RID turned on?

And @Frank Dracman makes an excellent point- What do you do when you get to a geofenced area with no cell/wifi reception? I've been in tha position at least once while on vacation.

I don't get the need for DJI's central control, especially with Part 107 pilots or their international equivalents. Part 107 pilots have proven they know the rules, know how to read airmaps, look for NOTAM, TFR's etc. I wish Autel would up their game a bit, especially in the customer service area. Will DJI just brick your drone if you don't have RID turned on?
Many Part 107 pilots are clueless when it comes to airspace. I see it all the time. And RID isn't part of the equation. DJI does have their own RID system, but that doesn't have to be utilized to fly. It's not tied to the flight controls at all. And once RID is mandated (9/16/23), Autel will have it too. So brands wan't matter.
And @Frank Dracman makes an excellent point- What do you do when you get to a geofenced area with no cell/wifi reception? I've been in tha position at least once while on vacation.
If I'm going to be flying in an area where I feel I may not have good cell service, or if I'm flying in an area long term that needs to be unlocked, I just get a custom unlock and turn it on when I get there. Zero problems.

Reactions: db4476
.If I'm going to be flying in an area where I feel I may not have good cell service, or if I'm flying in an area long term that needs to be unlocked, I just get a custom unlock and turn it on when I get there. Zero problems.
Getting a zone unlocked in advance is a good plan, but doesn't always work. I was working on a project not far from a small local airport and knew well in advance that I'd need to be unlocked. I got an ATC waiver because the project would last over several days and applied to DJI for a custom unlock of 500meters. Fortunately, I am one of those meticulous types that believes in testing and making sure stuff works for commercial projects. When I went out to test, intest of a 500 meter (1650 feet) I was unlocked only 125 feet! . I discovered that on my testing day and went back to DJI. When it came to shooting the project they had unlocked my Mini 2 a bit further, but did not unlock my M2P any further than the 125 feet, which didn't even reach the end of the property. Luckily I could film with my Mini 2, but quality wise wasn't as good as it couldhave been. So, even when you think you're unlocked, on a practical level you may not be. And if you're stranded without a connection- good luck to you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard