DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice little battery bag.........

Same container I use to keep the batteries safe when I'm not flying.
Usually in storage at 3.85 volts / cell

20220218_150912.jpg
Handcrafted tool that I use to store and check the batteries of my Mini 2
20220218_152005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mrveronn
Is that home-made? Looks very professional!!!
Presume you have a 3D printer and some electronic expertise? Would love to make one ??
The object in question, NoN was made by me, it was designed and built by a person here in Italy.

exact! this type of instrument is mainly used to bring the batteries to 30% automatic storage with a voltage of 3.8 volts per cell by balancing the two cells.
as well as other data shown on the display.

Why would you want 30%? DJI recommend their batteries are stored at 40% - 60%.
Auto Discharge Function: To avoid swelling, the battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% when idle for one day
and automatically discharges to about 72% when idle for five
days. It is normal to feel moderate heat emitted by the battery during
the discharge process.
As for the 96% value, it must be said that all batteries are lithium-ion ones
that LiPo are affected by the ambient temperature which involves +/- 10% of the charge value,
for example, heat is a factor that accelerates the chemical processes inside the batteries
allowing them to perform better as opposed to the cold which slows them down.
The 72% discharged car is produced by a small "dummy load", which, as reported in the manual, produces moderate heat during the discharge phase, but this discharge
this percentage is not used to keep the battery in "storage" in case it is not
we will use it for a long time, but to make it safe ie to avoid those chemical processes
which could make it dangerous.
In fact, on page 23 of the same manual, the DJI in addition to all the temperature values at which it is recommended to use the batteries etc. writes this:
It is recommended that the “intelligent” flight batteries be discharged to 30% or less during
transport or storage. This can be done by flying
the aircraft outdoors until the battery level is below 30%.

battery.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have reported some information from a person with experience in the battery industry .. and with this it is advisable to keep the cells at 3.80 volts. 30% more or less battery value during storage for optimal maintenance. Then each of us sees it differently ... I've always done this and I've never encountered problems with my batteries.
regards.

Still all very confusing! I specifically asked DJI Support:

"I'm going on holiday for a couple of months and I won't be taking my DJI Mini SE with me (I've got a Mini 2) so what should I do to the batteries to make sure they don't over discharge or get damaged while I'm away?"

To which they replied:
We recommend that you discharge the battery to between 40% to 65% and store it in a cool, dry space (at an ambient temperature of 22°C to 28°C) when it is going to be idle for more than ten days

So what is right?

In my opinion if you leave the batteries at about 40% 50% in a place with an ambient temperature of 20 ° C you should have no problems during the holidays.

Everybody seems to have their own opinion!!!
I've again gone back to DJI Support and pointed out their conflict between the Mini 2 Manual and what they told me in an email. I'll see what they come back with. It is their equipment after all so they should know how best to take care of it!

I have reported some information from a person with experience in the battery industry .. and with this it is advisable to keep the cells at 3.80 volts. 30% more or less battery value during storage for optimal maintenance. Then each of us sees it differently ... I've always done this and I've never encountered problems with my batteries.
regards.
It's well known that a Lipo battery Storage Voltage should be 3.85V per cell.

A regular Lipo battery has a Nominal Voltage of 3.7V per cell and a Full Charge Voltage of 4.2V per cell. They NEVER should be discharged to less than 3.00V (is advised not to go lower than 3.2V)

A High Voltage Lipo battery (like the Mini 2 has) has a Nominal Voltage of 3.85V per cell and a Full charge Voltage of 4.4V per cell.

When talking about Lipo batteries is better to talk about Voltage and Capacity for a proper understanding of their charge/discharge procedures. DJI prefer talking about percentages and that IMHO leads to misunderstandings.

Per Mini 2 Manual:

DJI says that when a battery reaches 3.0V or less than 10% it goes to a hibernation mode to prevent over discharging.

DJI also says that is recommended to discharge the batteries to 30% or lower for transport or storage.

My question is. Assuming 3.0V is 0% and 4.4V is100%. How is possible that 30% is 3.8V? Will not be 3.42V? Which in my opinion is way too low Voltage for storage.

Using the same math 3.85V is around 87% which is what almost all literature about Lipo batteries suggest for long time storage.

It's well known that a Lipo battery Storage Voltage should be 3.85V per cell.

A regular Lipo battery has a Nominal Voltage of 3.7V per cell and a Full Charge Voltage of 4.2V per cell. They NEVER should be discharged to less than 3.00V (is advised not to go lower than 3.2V)

A High Voltage Lipo battery (like the Mini 2 has) has a Nominal Voltage of 3.85V per cell and a Full charge Voltage of 4.4V per cell.

When talking about Lipo batteries is better to talk about Voltage and Capacity for a proper understanding of their charge/discharge procedures. DJI prefer talking about percentages and that IMHO leads to misunderstandings.

Per Mini 2 Manual:

DJI says that when a battery reaches 3.0V or less than 10% it goes to a hibernation mode to prevent over discharging.

DJI also says that is recommended to discharge the batteries to 30% or lower for transport or storage.

My question is. Assuming 3.0V is 0% and 4.4V is100%. How is possible that 30% is 3.8V? Will not be 3.42V? Which in my opinion is way too low Voltage for storage.

Using the same math 3.85V is around 87% which is what almost all literature about Lipo batteries suggest for long time storage.

Thanks for all the explanations, but seeing the instrument designed specifically for Mini 2 batteries I get these values .. this instrument has been specially designed and calibrated for battery storage at 30%
The same measured values are the same more or less reported on the Dji Fly app.

20220220_165435.jpg
9b51d5f5d1382b8be07d8206094325dbc6cd2f4a.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos