Night Flying and RTH

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Snow Bird 1, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Snow Bird 1

Snow Bird 1 Well-Known Member

Hi all you now "experienced" pilots! (I am grreeeeenn with envy, you.....). Got a question re: the topic - if the Home Point is well lit and GPS is solid, the RTH should perform as it does in daytime - Yes???

i.e. Given that forward and downward sensors won't work in the dark, am hoping that downward vision system sensors are still OK for take-off and landing if well lit, including an RTH landing???

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Yes -- the Mavic only needs GPS data to make its way back to the home point. Just make sure you have the RTH altitude set to the correct altitude since you won't be able to rely on the front sensors for obstacle avoidance.

alan1975 likes this.
  3. Petomaster

Petomaster Member

I just tried a RTH after sunset and while it returned correctly over head, it refused to come down and just hovered. I canceled the RTH and tried again. It engaged but still would come down. The home point was my driveway and did have light on it, but not much.
    It was only my second flight as I finally got Mavic only last night. Not sure if it was user settings error be RTH seems pretty dummy proof.
    Not sure... but I'd like to try both night and day tests to see if that was the problem.

#3 Petomaster, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. JakeO

JakeO Well-Known Member

The behavior you have experienced with RTH at night is the same as me now on multiple occasions. I also saw a post where another pilot had the same situation. At times at night over a driveway the mavic won't land via RTH (descend).

It's some glitch

5. Nolo

Nolo Well-Known Member

i done allot night flying my self as long RTH is recorder and all your gps signal are up and running you have nothing to worry about i usually do it when i have more then 10 gprs signal :)

6. Chase R

Chase R Well-Known Member

I've had a handful of problems with the Mavic's downward sensors and flying at night. I turn them off at night because I've only every gotten false alarms.

7. MavicPro83

MavicPro83 Well-Known Member

I have been flying a P3P and now a Mavic for probably about 35 flights and I've never once used RTH, the radar or map can be used to bring your drone home just fine and there's far less reliance on the automation which arguably reduces the risk of potential issues, I would definitely recommend leaning to fly your mavic home manually and land it manually if you get the chance to practice.

Airtex likes this.
  8. Nolo

Nolo Well-Known Member

Downgrade and do a fresh new start

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

9. Nolo

Nolo Well-Known Member

[​IMG] use dji assistant

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

10. EasyV

EasyV Well-Known Member

On the other hand, using RTH allows you to observe that behavior, so if one gets forced you know what to expect