DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NO DRONES! No problem.

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I ran across this "Prohibido Volar Drones" / "Flying Drones Prohibited" sign at about 11,000' MSL in the El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Reserve in the mountains of Michoacan, Mexico a couple of weeks ago. The reserve is one of the winter homes for millions of Monarch Butterflies that migrate southward from North America every year. It's a wonderful place, every bit as reverent and sacred as any cathedral. I had no argument with the prohibition. There are places where drones, automobiles, dirt bikes, boomboxes, pets, and even loud voices just are not appropriate.

no.drones.jpg A6706713.JPG

I ran across this "Prohibido Volar Drones" / "Flying Drones Prohibited" sign at about 11,000' MSL in the El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Reserve in the mountains of Michoacan, Mexico a couple of weeks ago. The reserve is one of the winter homes for millions of Monarch Butterflies that migrate southward from North America every year. It's a wonderful place, every bit as reverent and sacred as any cathedral. I had no argument with the prohibition. There are places where drones, automobiles, dirt bikes, boomboxes, pets, and even loud voices just are not appropriate.

View attachment 172716 View attachment 172717
Definitely a place I wouldn't use a drone, even if I was allowed to.

Reactions: MS Coast
Great! This is real land management according to the intrinsic value of territories. Splendid photo MS Coast!
I agree. The butterflies are the basis of the local economies around the refuges. They wisely require that visitors employ a local guide, which helps prevent abuse. There's a very reasonable fee to enter the refuges and a designated space for vendors who offer everything from postcards to lunch. Restaurants and lodging businesses have developed in the surrounding areas to accommodate visitors. Many local families put their horses to work hauling people up and down the mountains. One enterprising youngster was offering to brush the dust off visitors' shoes for the equivalent of about a dime.

It's a marvelous example of non-extractive, non-damaging free market capitalism. It doesn't require cutting timber, strip mining, or emitting anything into the air and water. Of course, there are folks who object to not being allowed to cut timber, but that just creates additional jobs for rangers. The other problem is that the butterflies are seasonal.

My SO/VO (significant other/visual observer) Linda gets credit for hauling the heavy camera and lens and shooting the photo.

I grew up in a community with a eucalyptus forest where the monarchs visited in the millions. Now 60 years later the forest is reaching end of life and there are very few monarchs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman