DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noise reduction and color grading ?

f1r3b1rd

Reactions
I’ve been a hobby drone pilot for a few years now; and, have mostly focused on the still images. I just sold a p3a and purchased a Mavic Air, so I’m starting to play more with video.

I normally use either GIMP2, Lightroom, or photoshop for stills.

With video, I’ve been playing around with DaVinci resolve and Lightworks. I noticed that DaVinci has a noise reduction filter and the results are pretty nice! I also noticed that the feature is only available for the full version. As I said before this is a hobby; and, quite honestly, 300$ for a software package, for one feature is a bit much for me to swallow.

Does anyone know if a similar result can be achieved on less expensive software?
Better yet, on FREE software?

I’m teaching myself the editing and color grading aspects of this so any and all advice would be very appreciated. I’m basically a complete noob and a little overwhelmed moving curves around on a graph until I like what I see, without any scientific reason or point of reference.

I don't know about noise reduction filter,but Corel Ultimate Videostudio 2018 is simple and packed with 3 D Titler,ProDad,etc.for under 100 dinero.

Reactions: f1r3b1rd
I don't know about noise reduction filter,but Corel Ultimate Videostudio 2018 is simple and packed with 3 D Titler,ProDad,etc.for under 100 dinero.

I played with that one for a little bit.
Unfortunately I really like both premier pro and resolve the most. I guess I really got shocked when I saw how much cleaner the noise filter on resolve makes the footage. I reckon at some point a freeware will come out with that feature

I’ve been a hobby drone pilot for a few years now; and, have mostly focused on the still images. I just sold a p3a and purchased a Mavic Air, so I’m starting to play more with video.

I normally use either GIMP2, Lightroom, or photoshop for stills.

With video, I’ve been playing around with DaVinci resolve and Lightworks. I noticed that DaVinci has a noise reduction filter and the results are pretty nice! I also noticed that the feature is only available for the full version. As I said before this is a hobby; and, quite honestly, 300$ for a software package, for one feature is a bit much for me to swallow.

Does anyone know if a similar result can be achieved on less expensive software?
Better yet, on FREE software?

I’m teaching myself the editing and color grading aspects of this so any and all advice would be very appreciated. I’m basically a complete noob and a little overwhelmed moving curves around on a graph until I like what I see, without any scientific reason or point of reference.

I, too, was an advanced DSLR hobbyist who recently purchased a Mavic Air. I know what you're talking about regarding noise and what to do about it. I don't use Adobe products at all, so most of my post work on stills have been in Luminar and On1 Photo RAW. In doing research for film after I got my drone, I found lots and lots of people raving about DaVinci Resolve and downloaded the free version. I find it incredibly difficult to learn how to use properly. Perhaps I'm over thinking it. But a friend told me about Filmora and I got that, too. SInce I still haven't figured out DaVinci, I am using Filmora to get the video mostly done, and then taking it into iMovie (Mac only software) to finish it off. I've still not found video noise reduction on Filmora. Probably doesn't help you much, but thought I'd chime in.

I, too, was an advanced DSLR hobbyist who recently purchased a Mavic Air. I know what you're talking about regarding noise and what to do about it. I don't use Adobe products at all, so most of my post work on stills have been in Luminar and On1 Photo RAW. In doing research for film after I got my drone, I found lots and lots of people raving about DaVinci Resolve and downloaded the free version. I find it incredibly difficult to learn how to use properly. Perhaps I'm over thinking it. But a friend told me about Filmora and I got that, too. SInce I still haven't figured out DaVinci, I am using Filmora to get the video mostly done, and then taking it into iMovie (Mac only software) to finish it off. I've still not found video noise reduction on Filmora. Probably doesn't help you much, but thought I'd chime in.

I appreciate all the advice and direction I can get... so thank you very much.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Mac(just iPhone), but Filmora may be an option to check out a little bit.
Curious to hear more about the on1 photo; however. What is it you don’t like about photoshop?

Unfortunately I don’t have a Mac(just iPhone), but Filmora may be an option to check out a little bit.
Curious to hear more about the on1 photo; however. What is it you don’t like about photoshop?

I am seriously NOT into renting software, which Adobe basically makes you do. Also, On1 Photo RAW is a very good alternative, especially when used in conjunction with Luminar. I also have pretty much given up using Photomatix Pro and use AuroraHDR now, instead. Be well.

I have used Photoshop for years for all my still work, but also used On1 too, and it is great for stills but have not used it for video yet. Here is a link to check out the latest version. I also use Topaz Labs too which is also great for stills.
Special Offer on ON1 Photo RAW 2018.1

I played with that one for a little bit.
Unfortunately I really like both premier pro and resolve the most. I guess I really got shocked when I saw how much cleaner the noise filter on resolve makes the footage. I reckon at some point a freeware will come out with that feature
I started looking at the filters that came with "ultimate"package....several "denoisers" and assuming related filters in that category,never used them or needed to yet.What are you calling noise?The only thing I can think of is if you shoot at too high an ISO ,the frankness that comes with it,but if you came from a photography background(unless I'm confused with another member post)you would remedy this with nd filters to get double the fps,etc.Just curious,I don't think I've had this problem.Ive had crappy footage come out of 24 fps or shooting TOO slow.Anyways,as an experiment,I tried those filters on footage that was good and it either made them grainy or had no visible effect but I only used them on 30 sec. snippets.Always learning,so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I am seriously NOT into renting software, which Adobe basically makes you do. Also, On1 Photo RAW is a very good alternative, especially when used in conjunction with Luminar. I also have pretty much given up using Photomatix Pro and use AuroraHDR now, instead. Be well.
AGREED,WILL NOT SUBSCRIBE TO A SOFTWARE LIKE ITS CELLULAR OR CABLE!

No need to shout, we here you :)

But I agree. Rather pay 299 (for DaVinci Resolve) and have unlimited updates and support. Besides, Adobe partially owns your machine with aggressive license checking which feels like you should be thankful for Adobe to 'grant' you to use it every time you startup your PC.
Sure, Adobe gets copied illegally all the time. But only by people who would never pay for it anyhow.

Black Magic Design is very friendly by granting you the right to use it for free. The free version is incredible already. And fully functional. The noise reduction in the pro version is very good and together with the other features and benefits more than worth the 299$.

I started looking at the filters that came with "ultimate"package....several "denoisers" and assuming related filters in that category,never used them or needed to yet.What are you calling noise?The only thing I can think of is if you shoot at too high an ISO ,the frankness that comes with it,but if you came from a photography background(unless I'm confused with another member post)you would remedy this with nd filters to get double the fps,etc.Just curious,I don't think I've had this problem.Ive had crappy footage come out of 24 fps or shooting TOO slow.Anyways,as an experiment,I tried those filters on footage that was good and it either made them grainy or had no visible effect but I only used them on 30 sec. snippets.Always learning,so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

You don't use ND filters to reduce noise or to get better footage in low light, because an ND filter reduces light that you already have. Therefore, if you are experiencing noise (or grain-from film days) already, using an ND filter will only make it worse. People use ND filters to allow them to use a slower shutter speed, for the film effect look they can achieve and it is always when they have plenty of light to play with (film with). If the light is questionable, as in getting less, the filmer may begin getting noise in shadow areas, so maybe that is what the OP was talking about.

I think of it more as a ransom. Stop paying their ransom and they shut you down! When they started that Cloud system Adobe CC, they thought they were going to have everyone jump on their wagon. Their price was $49 a month or $49.99 but not many were prepared to do that, so they quickly dropped it to $29.99 a month and still a lot of people decided to stop using them, so they then changed things around and offer a one year intro for just Photoshop at $9.99 a month, then changed that to not just the first year but permanently at $9.99 for as long as you paid the ransom.

If you bought, for example Photoshop CS6, you owned it, technically speaking and if you wanted to use it every day this week, then take a three month break but from time to time during that three months, wanted to just open your Photoshop layered files you had on your HD you could view them, then use it twice a month for the next three months then use it once a week for the next several months, there was no charges, you just used it when you wanted to or needed to. With the ransom cloud system now, if you just wanted to use it once a month or just have it dormant for three months but still want to go in and have a look at your layered Photoshop files, for example, you have to keep paying the ransom, or you won't be able to open it to take a look at your Photoshop files.

You can go back to your old Photoshop CS 6 at any time in the next several years, when ever you wish and it can still be used and at not one more penny cost to you. But the ransom system means over several years you will have paid out the original old purchase price, many times over.

Reactions: Brett 21

Pretty much what cymru was saying.
I use Nd filters and polarizers for video.
The light may still cause some of the whites to overexpose and give the picture sort of a grainy look or complete lack of clarity.
I’m still learning as well, I think the vast majority of us are. I may have mispoken there, I’m still rather a novice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brett 21
Pretty much what cymru was saying.
I use Nd filters and polarizers for video.
The light may still cause some of the whites to overexpose and give the picture sort of a grainy look or complete lack of clarity.
I’m still learning as well, I think the vast majority of us are. I may have mispoken there, I’m still rather a novice.
Looking back,I may have misinterpreted. He might be primarily shooting stills,me video.I don't use denoiser filters but maybe still shots have more applicable uses for them.

You don't use ND filters to reduce noise or to get better footage in low light, because an ND filter reduces light that you already have. Therefore, if you are experiencing noise (or grain-from film days) already, using an ND filter will only make it worse. People use ND filters to allow them to use a slower shutter speed, for the film effect look they can achieve and it is always when they have plenty of light to play with (film with). If the light is questionable, as in getting less, the filmer may begin getting noise in shadow areas, so maybe that is what the OP was talking about.
Acknowledged,I meant ND filters will allow to reduce ISO,S.S. to eliminate exposure "blowout".The only time I've experienced noise or grain is in low light conditions and cranking up ISO to compensate,exact opposite of sunny conditions.My mistake.When I take stills, I crank all of DJI app sharp,contrast,landscape,etc to off and use whatever applicable software I'm using at the time to grade it.Dlog or "none" as the apps limited choices can' compete with even the most budgeted or free programs filter options.Sidenote,love Mavics portability and flight characteristics but as a three time Phantom owner,it's camera is better,especially with generic jpegs when I'm too lazy for RAW or processing.Im still learning but sometimes i prefer easy instead of processing RAW or HDR as this is hobby for me.

Acknowledged,I meant ND filters will allow to reduce ISO,S.S. to eliminate exposure "blowout".The only time I've experienced noise or grain is in low light conditions and cranking up ISO to compensate,exact opposite of sunny conditions.My mistake.When I take stills, I crank all of DJI app sharp,contrast,landscape,etc to off and use whatever applicable software I'm using at the time to grade it.Dlog or "none" as the apps limited choices can' compete with even the most budgeted or free programs filter options.Sidenote,love Mavics portability and flight characteristics but as a three time Phantom owner,it's camera is better,especially with generic jpegs when I'm too lazy for RAW or processing.Im still learning but sometimes i prefer easy instead of processing RAW or HDR as this is hobby for me.

Lol, yeah I swapped out a phantom for the air.
My problem with the phantom was strictly portability. It was impossible to take with the family and cargo required. Not to mention the **** backpack for the phantom kept jamming up in the wheels of my chair when I would try to turn.

Now I just need to relearn the camera. Lol
In all honesty, I’ve never take. The time to completely learn the editing software so here I sit learning resolv for video and gimp2 for stills.

I have used Photoshop for years for all my still work, but also used On1 too, and it is great for stills but have not used it for video yet. Here is a link to check out the latest version. I also use Topaz Labs too which is also great for stills.
Special Offer on ON1 Photo RAW 2018.1

Awesome!
Thank you! I was reading up on this one from your previous post. That offer is enough to make me a believer.

Lol, yeah I swapped out a phantom for the air.
My problem with the phantom was strictly portability. It was impossible to take with the family and cargo required. Not to mention the **** backpack for the phantom kept jamming up in the wheels of my chair when I would try to turn.

Now I just need to relearn the camera. Lol
In all honesty, I’ve never take. The time to completely learn the editing software so here I sit learning resolv for video and gimp2 for stills.
As far as free prigrams,have you tried FastStoneImageViewer?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_