DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob question about the mavic gimbal control

natkins

Reactions
Hi folks! This is my first post to the forum.

Just unboxed my new mavic last night. Batteries all charged, aircraft sitting on a flat surface. Powered up and connected the controller to the aircraft.

I noticed the gimbal tilts down 90 degrees, but does not tilt up above horizon level. Also it will not rotate left-right more than a couple degrees. These limitations kinda make sense (eg you wouldn't want the camera to rotate more because the legs would be in the shot or tilting up too much might reveal the rotors). When you want to pan, it's supposed to be the aircraft body that turns, not the camera gimbal, right (mode2 - left stick side to side)?

I chatted online with dji support just to try to confirm this. They had me recalibrate the IMU and gimbal, but could never tell me if these are built in limitations or a defect in the gimbal or controller. They instead had me open a repair order.

After doing more research online it appears these are indeed correct limitations by design. Can anyone please confirm this? Thanks so much!

I noticed the gimbal tilts down 90 degrees, but does not tilt up above horizon level.
Enable the following setting in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Gimbal-Enabled-Upward-Tilt.jpg

it will not rotate left-right more than a couple degrees
That's as designed. You need to yaw (turn) the aircraft to point the camera to the right or left..

Reactions: Former Member
Right on. Either support did not understand the problem or they need more training.

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Yeah, it seemed to make sense. I feel like we went down a bit of a rabbit hole with online support when they wouldn't confirm this.

I guess i was a bit uptight after the firmware update to .600 behaved kinda strange. If I had a question about that, should I open a new thread?

If I had a question about that, should I open a new thread?
If it's not related to this topic, then it would be best to start a new thread. That'll help keep things organized.

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Yeah, it seemed to make sense. I feel like we went down a bit of a rabbit hole with online support when they wouldn't confirm this.

I guess i was a bit uptight after the firmware update to .600 behaved kinda strange. If I had a question about that, should I open a new thread?
Best support is found here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31