DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noobie question re: proximity to Airports & Helipads

wehobella

Reactions
I know I'm not allowed to fly within 5mi of an airport without notifying them; however, when I looked at my location via B4UFLY, it gave the following warning, "You are within 5 miles of an airport." I've uploaded screenshots from B4UFLY and UAV Forecast.

You can see from both (especially UAV Forecast) that I am NOT within 5mi of an airport - but there are many helipads in the area.

Why does B4UFLY have that warning? UAV Forecast says, "Good to Fly". Is B4ufly overly cautious or is UAV Forecast inaccurate?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

THANKS,

Last edited:
Good question. Also, I am new. I will watch this for answers.

I called my small local regional airport that is 3.77 miles away. They took my name and said thanks for calling.

It was pretty easy.

Now, I plan to fly in more places around my town than up and down my street and insist I be legal so this is a good thread.

Thanks!

Good question. Also, I am new. I will watch this for answers.

I called my small local regional airport that is 3.77 miles away. They took my name and said thanks for calling.

It was pretty easy.

Now, I plan to fly in more places around my town than up and down my street and insist I be legal so this is a good thread.

Thanks!
Thanks! Notifying airports makes sense. I live near very large airports (BUR and LAX) so I have no intention of going close to them. Better to be safe than sorry ... especially as I'm new to piloting. That said, there are a ton of helicopter spots that if I was to avoid, I'd have no place to fly by my home so I'd like to get clarity on that part. Have fun!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird