DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NTSB uses drone at crash site

Mavic Mac

Reactions
NTSB released a video of their investigation into the fatal crash of a B-17 at BDL. In their video it shows one of the investigators flying a drone then it cooperates the drone video into the main video.

HERE is the link

Last edited:
That was a pretty crappy pan/tilt combo the guy does there. You'd think the drone guy for the NTSB would al least be a semi competent pilot.

Reactions: pmshop
That was a pretty crappy pan/tilt combo the guy does there. You'd think the drone guy for the NTSB would al least be a semi competent pilot.
I guess these guys aren’t filming for artistic purposes. Just because he is NTSB doesn’t mean he has a huge amount of experience. Just using the drone as an extra tool.

Reactions: BigAl07

There's a world of difference between "Data Gathering" and "Cinematic Operation"..... smooth pan/tilt has nothing to do with being a competent pilot. They need to get up, get DATA, and get back down to process it not worrying about smoothness and cinematic issues. You're comparing Apples to Monkeys ...

Reactions: hactick
Sooner than you think, the NTSB or any gov insti,
shall not utilize CHINESE DRONES...
Keep your eyes peeled on this.

There's a world of difference between "Data Gathering" and "Cinematic Operation"..... smooth pan/tilt has nothing to do with being a competent pilot. They need to get up, get DATA, and get back down to process it not worrying about smoothness and cinematic issues. You're comparing Apples to Monkeys ...
I'd like to think that there could be a little bit of smooth flight incorporated into a data gathering mission. I know its not necessary for the job at hand but it looks like in that shot he is just doing a general flyover to gather a video of the scene rather than a mapping mission.

I know its not necessary for the job at hand but it looks like in that shot he is just doing a general flyover to gather a video of the scene rather than a mapping mission.

As others have responded, it is exactly that: fact gathering.

NTSB is collecting evidence, before it goes way. Like tire marks, broken pieces from the approach lights of runway 6, engine parts, interviews from other pilots and witnesses and so on....

It is also likely that the drone pilot has another job description while on site. (IE. he/she is busy)

Quite frankly, they have other S...T to do than making a nice video, with dramatic music for maximum effect!

Reactions: BigAl07
As others have responded, it is exactly that: fact gathering.

NTSB is collecting evidence, before it goes way. Like tire marks, broken pieces from the approach lights of runway 6, engine parts, interviews from other pilots and witnesses and so on....

It is also likely that the drone pilot has another job description while on site. (IE. he/she is busy)

Quite frankly, they have other S...T to do than making a nice video, with dramatic music for maximum effect!
Well that guy is missing out on all the fake internet points he could get if he adjusted his gimble settings a bit and I like the idea of some dramatic music with a few cross fades and a speed ramp or two. Then fade to black with a big subscribe button.
Way better than the $100k+ job he currently has..

Reactions: AnzacJack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear