DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nuanced Part 107 question(s)?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Calling @Big Al 454 (et al)...
I'm crunching for the Part 107 test and doing a practice test. I'm about half way through, doing pretty well, but there are some questions that leave me scratching my head. Once such question involved a "lighted obstacle" asking for the height. I look at the sectional and it has both AGL and MSL. Savannah (SAV) lies approximately 46'MSL. I answered 1531'AGL, but according to the test answer I was wrong. Based on having both AGL and MSL heights, why was my answer wrong? [More questions in other "replies" below.]

question3_savannah.JPG

Last edited:
Next is the question regarding BUSINESS USE of a person without a 107 cert. All the answers looked shady and I guessed wrong. The reason I guessed wrong is that the "correct" answer says under supervision of PIC... However, it didn't state that the PIC had a 107 cert. I was guessing about the FAA waiver only because, if one thinks literally one would question the PIC having a certificate! Who comes up with these questions????

107stupidquestion2.JPG

And yet another inane question that I got wrong. Does the FAA not consider a 249gm drone a UAV??? I guess I'm lucky to stumble on these trick traps in case they come up on the test. They judge your "knowledge" on stuff like this???? I hope whoever marks up the next drone laws in Washington isn't the same guy that came up with these test questions.

Stupid107question.JPG

And yet another inane question that I got wrong. Does the FAA not consider a 249gm drone a UAV??? I guess I'm lucky to stumble on these trick traps in case they come up on the test. They judge your "knowledge" on stuff like this???? I hope whoever marks up the next drone laws in Washington isn't the same guy that came up with these test questions.

View attachment 111749
You answered this 100% correctly. (Edit: I missed it the correct answer isn’t on here. 55 lbs is not considered a UAS it’s only less than. They messed up here so your answer was the best but you weren’t correct either.)

14 CFR 107.3
“Small unmanned aircraft means an unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft.“

Where are you finding this test? This isn’t a good resource per all the questions you have pointed out and should be avoided. This question is an example of how it is actually hurting you not helping because this is a real question on the test and now you have to unlearn what you were taught. You had it correct the first time.

Last edited:
Next is the question regarding BUSINESS USE of a person without a 107 cert. All the answers looked shady and I guessed wrong. The reason I guessed wrong is that the "correct" answer says under supervision of PIC... However, it didn't state that the PIC had a 107 cert. I was guessing about the FAA waiver only because, if one thinks literally one would question the PIC having a certificate! Who comes up with these questions????

View attachment 111746
This is just a poorly worded question but the third answer is the best of the three so I’m ruling you were still incorrect.

Reactions: fguthrie
This is just a poorly worded question but the third answer is the best of the three so I’m ruling you were still incorrect.
What about the first question at SAV? Why did I get that question wrong? There must be something I'm not understanding.

BTW... I finished this practice test with 44 correct answers (not including the UAV question. Not good enough, but I have approximately 3 weeks (if I can get it schedueld mid September). It's the second practice test ( a different one than the first) which I passed at the same number of correct and incorrect answers. The other one had one or two similarly inane questions.

You answered this 100% correctly. (Edit: I missed it the correct answer isn’t on here. 55 lbs is not considered a UAS it’s only less than. They messed up here so your answer was the best but you weren’t correct either.)

14 CFR 107.3
“Small unmanned aircraft means an unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft.“

Where are you finding this test? This isn’t a good resource per all the questions you have pointed out and should be avoided. This question is an example of how it is actually hurting you not helping because this is a real question on the test and now you have to unlearn what you were taught. You had it correct the first time.
I messed up here but the test is still flawed. The point of this question which is on the test is that 55 lbs is not considered sUAS only “under 55 lbs.” It is a trick question so look out for it.

Last edited:
What about the first question at SAV? Why did I get that question wrong? There must be something I'm not understanding.

BTW... I finished this practice test with 44 correct answers (not including the UAV question. Not good enough, but I have approximately 3 weeks (if I can get it schedueld mid September).
This is a bad question too. There are two correct answers on there.

Try this one: FAA Part 107 Test Questions (65 Questions Explained) [2020] -

There is one test from a supposed wizard (not free) that is full of errors - avoid that one. When I was studying before taking my 107, I tried any practice tests I could find. Some good. Some bad. The test on Rupprecht’s site is reliable and challenging. Good luck.

Try this one: FAA Part 107 Test Questions (65 Questions Explained) [2020] -

There is one test from a supposed wizard (not free) that is full of errors - avoid that one. When I was studying before taking my 107, I tried any practice tests I could find. Some good. Some bad. The test on Rupprecht’s site is reliable and challenging. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll try that one. I know I have one on my iPhone/iPad that I took before. Not sure where that came from. But all these tests shows me where I need to be stronger and more comfortable. I suspect there will be a few questions on the real test that will get away from me due to nuance or written to trip the testee up.

The height would be the AGL which is listed in the (parentheses). When asked if physical height use the AGL. When asked of Altitude use the MSL. Very poor question. The question should specifically ask for either (AGL) or MSL. Both answered could be counted as correct the way the question reads! VERY POOR QUESTION!

Last edited:

View attachment 111746
Kind of a misleading question. But the word referring to certificate is present. This alludes to a person with a 107.

View attachment 111749
Below or less than 250g. No idea why they actually chose that number. 55 and over (pounds not age) would be in a differing class requiring the N number.

Mixing of US customary vs

So, it’s puzzling to me why the FAA say less than 250g but uses pounds for the less than 55# upper limit!

Another measurement to be careful with is the max speed. The test may have either kph or mph.

Below or less than 250g. No idea why they actually chose that number. 55 and over (pounds not age) would be in a differing class requiring the N number.

Mixing of US customary vs

So, it’s puzzling to me why the FAA say less than 250g but uses pounds for the less than 55# upper limit!

Another measurement to be careful with is the max speed. The test may have either kph or mph.
Remember that the .55 lbs refers to when you need to register your drone under the exception for recreational operations and not part 107. The correct answer is less than but not including 55 lbs for part 107

Kind of a misleading question. But the word referring to certificate is present. This alludes to a person with a 107.

Yes misleading... because the WORD certificate is present along with the word WITHOUT (or similar reference). You can be a PIC without a cert. The answer assumes a PIC w certificate but leaves it to the testee to guess. IN A TEST LIKE THIS IT'S SUPPOSED TO TEST *KNOWLEDGE*, NOT ABILITY TO DEVINE SUPPOSITIONS. I wonder how many of these will pop up on the actual test. I suppose doing the practice tests are getting me ready for anything like this.

Actually I believe it will be Knots or MPH. I know that 87 Knots= 100mph... the speed limit for drone flight.

" The height would be the AGL which is listed in the (parentheses). When asked if physical height use the AGL. When asked of Altitude use the MSL. "

This is an excellent tip. I just have to remember that Altitude is MSL and Height will be in the parentheses. This is something I now know and can retain longer term. Thanks for that.

I'm staring a lot at sectionals these days and it's getting easier. I have a weakness with the weather and need to keep studying the codes until they become second nature. I also missed the question about Unicom frequency and answered one of the others listed on the NOTAM publication. Other tricky areas come with "crew resource management" and "risk management/safety management" questions. Again, so nuanced. I can tell you that whoever is writing these questions are not professional educators- at least good ones. IMO anyone who wants you to learn literal information and writes vague, ill-literal questions fails to understand HIS mission.

Reactions: 254drone
One more thing. As I have mentioned In a previous post, most questions on the test are straightforward. If you are lucky enough ( I am being facetious ) to have the one question that almost everyone believes is incorrect (except the FAA), the question re: what should you do if you damage a battery; the answer they believe is correct is undeniably incorrect. If you have been around RC as long as I have, you understand that utilizing a damaged lithium battery (bloomed or lacerated etc) is simply not safe. I passed with a 97. One question was undeniably my fault - I didn’t read it carefully. The second question I missed was about the battery. Applicants that pass with a perfect score either were lucky and the battery question did not appear on the test, or they knew in advance to choose the illogical and potentially dangerous answer LoL.

Yes misleading... because the WORD certificate is present along with the word WITHOUT (or similar reference). You can be a PIC without a cert. The answer assumes a PIC w certificate but leaves it to the testee to guess. IN A TEST LIKE THIS IT'S SUPPOSED TO TEST *KNOWLEDGE*, NOT ABILITY TO DEVINE SUPPOSITIONS. I wonder how many of these will pop up on the actual test. I suppose doing the practice tests are getting me ready for anything like this.

Actually I believe it will be Knots or MPH. I know that 87 Knots= 100mph... the speed limit for drone flight.

" The height would be the AGL which is listed in the (parentheses). When asked if physical height use the AGL. When asked of Altitude use the MSL. "
This is an excellent tip. I just have to remember that Altitude is MSL and Height will be in the parentheses. This is something I now know and can retain longer term. Thanks for that.

I'm staring a lot at sectionals these days and it's getting easier. I have a weakness with the weather and need to keep studying the codes until they become second nature. I also missed the question about Unicom frequency and answered one of the others listed on the NOTAM publication. Other tricky areas come with "crew resource management" and "risk management/safety management" questions. Again, so nuanced. I can tell you that whoever is writing these questions are not professional educators- at least good ones. IMO anyone who wants you to learn literal information and writes vague, ill-literal questions fails to understand HIS mission.
80% of the questions have to do with reading the chart. There’s only a couple weather questions and to some degree they are you can deduce the answers without knowing exactly what the codes mean so focus on reading the charts.

I finished my test with more than half the time remaining so as a general test taking strategy take your time and read the answers first THEN read the question and cross off the wrong answers so all you are left with is the correct answer, if you are left with multiple what you think are correct answers The answers can give you great insight into what the question is trying to test you on. This is how you would have got the PIC question correct.

You can’t get a waiver to fly for business and having a visual observer is immaterial so only the PIC answer makes sense even though it’s not specified that the PIC has a Remote Pilot Certificate. It was the only answer that wasn’t “incorrect” even if you don’t think it wasn’t “correct.”

Reactions: vindibona1
Calling @Big Al 454 (et al)...
I'm crunching for the Part 107 test and doing a practice test. I'm about half way through, doing pretty well, but there are some questions that leave me scratching my head. Once such question involved a "lighted obstacle" asking for the height. I look at the sectional and it has both AGL and MSL. Savannah (SAV) lies approximately 46'MSL. I answered 1531'AGL, but according to the test answer I was wrong. Based on having both AGL and MSL heights, why was my answer wrong? [More questions in other "replies" below.]

View attachment 111745
Both look correct. I took the test yesterday and got a 92%. Studied hard for 2 weeks. Surprisingly, there were very few weather questions and lots on ADM and SRM. Good Luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre