DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

yeah going off course and the floating was from critically low, it felt like it was in ATTI mode with a wind. Didn't realize it was that off till i rewatched. The one adjustment i tried to make with the left stick is when it did the long turn right after landing started, after that i kept thinking of nate and DB and it going crazy, so i just held the left stick for altitude and used the right stick to move the bird left/right laterally to turn, that seemed to help alot. Now that i rewatch this, i think im super lucky .. not sure how it willed the last 500 feet of the flight. i havent checked but i bet the externals may have cell issues, they were the only thing powering it when i picked it up, the DJI battery was completely dead.

edit: i think it does turn off sport mode, i didnt do that myself

That doesn't seem like fun dealing with that much uncontrollability. I am surprised you didn't notice the tach disappearing. I guess at that point you're not really eying the tach for efficiency?

That doesn't seem like fun dealing with that much uncontrollability. I am surprised you didn't notice the tach disappearing. I guess at that point you're not really eying the tach for efficiency?
at that point i was just worried about the heading and height, i didn't care what speed it was going :p this was my first time flying autolanding on the mavic, im just glad it didnt start spinning like some of the other guys have shared.

Reactions: in10s
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Jake Jones... 1 flight i did not post yet... But since i made it back, it was way better then the 45 k flight is on the leader board
. Nothing special after the crazy flights of CyberNate, unkown Member and digdat0.. CONGRATS... But still European Record
. Used boosted Nanosync Antennas and 2x 3000 mah Batterie Upgrade. Next try will be 2 x 4000 Mah,.. Tried allready, but one cell was broken... But after that 46k flight of Digdat0 i have now a new Motivation to get the bronce

Jake Jones... 1 flight i did not post yet... But since i made it back, it was way better then the 45 k flight is on the leader board
. Nothing special after the crazy flights of CyberNate, unkown Member and digdat0.. CONGRATS... But still European Record
. Used boosted Nanosync Antennas and 2x 3000 mah Batterie Upgrade. Next try will be 2 x 4000 Mah,.. Tried allready, but one cell was broken... But after that 46k flight of Digdat0 i have now a new Motivation to get the bronce
hey man, 44,063 ft is amazing!!

Reactions: in10s
Here's the screen recording, i did not speed it up .. the last 3 mins are the most exciting. Again, gimbal is dead so i had gimbal lock on so that's why the camera is all bumpy, it seriously looks like a bad fpv camera.

Wow! What a flight! You couldn't have flown it any more perfectly. Practically fell out of the air at your feet. Awesome! You have just enough buffer at the end with sport mode to gain a bit of distance. Hard to say which is better in that case. You had a light tail wind. Perhaps leaving in RTH and full right sick to go 33.6. Probably would have made it as well with a bit longer flight time.

Reactions: in10s and digdat0
Wow! What a flight! You couldn't have flown it any more perfectly. Practically fell out of the air at your feet. Awesome! You have just enough buffer at the end with sport mode to gain a bit of distance. Hard to say which is better in that case. You had a light tail wind. Perhaps leaving in RTH and full right sick to go 33.6. Probably would have made it as well with a bit longer flight time.
Thanks man, was a fun flight .. contorlling the throttle at 80% adds a big aspect there, its not easy! i was wondering that too of rth vs sport, decided to try sport mode on this one
.. i'll convert the logs and look at how many mah used per foot on the way out and compare to the return using sport mode. Should be interesting data.

I think the next place to optimize the Mavic for distance could be with slightly larger carbon fiber propellers. I've been thinking of this for awhile. With the heavy load, my RPMs are a little too high, even seeing "Max Motor Speed Reached" with the slightest cross wind.
How about upgrading the motors?

Without an ESC mod too, there's not a lot more power that can be had, but better motors could stay cooler with the added battery load, and go a faster.

Then again, if you're doing your entire run at 32 (airspeed), and we've more or less decided that's most efficient, not sure how it might help... Food for thought.

How about upgrading the motors?

Without an ESC mod too, there's not a lot more power that can be had, but better motors could stay cooler with the added battery load, and go a faster.

Then again, if you're doing your entire run at 32 (airspeed), and we've more or less decided that's most efficient, not sure how it might help... Food for thought.

I like propellers as it's simply optimizing existing ESCs and motors by reducing motor rpm at a given thrust. With the heavy load, the motors are pushed to an RPM that is not optimal. Electric motors lose significsnt efficiency when running too close to maximum speed. The craft is not tuned for so much weight. I'm talking about a very slight change, or the motors and/or ESCs could get overloaded. I might try it out. I'd have to cut the rear propellers slightly to make them fit.

Another optimization might be to change COG more forward. I've been paying attention to individual motor speeds and power and see that the rear motors are spinning up much higher and using much more power from ESCs during forward flight. Of course this is as expected, but the fact that these distance runs are all forward flight, it makes sense to balance the ESC and motor load. I was testing that out yesterday. Need to check the data. I don't want to completely balance the motor load, but rather reduce slightly the load on rear motors.

Hey guys ad gals, I am a noob to the sport but dove in head first with battery and antenna mods. This was my first real long range attempt and made it out 22,683 feet. I flew out as low as possible until signal is almost lost then gradually increase altitude to regain signal. Each increase in altitude increased the headwind (its always windier higher). I started out at 25mph and by the end of the run I was going 12mph and made the turn at 46% battery, but to return I jacked up my altitude to get into a big tailwind and cruuzed home at 41mph and landed with 11% battery. Still trying to figure out all the different variables and this forum is fantastic with information from all you enthusiasts. I am hooked!

I would appreciate any tips or tricks anyone has to offer.

Airdata logs:
drone-range-test-01.png

Hey guys ad gals, I am a noob to the sport but dove in head first with battery and antenna mods. This was my first real long range attempt and made it out 22,683 feet. I flew out as low as possible until signal is almost lost then gradually increase altitude to regain signal. Each increase in altitude increased the headwind (its always windier higher). I started out at 25mph and by the end of the run I was going 12mph and made the turn at 46% battery, but to return I jacked up my altitude to get into a big tailwind and cruuzed home at 41mph and landed with 11% battery. Still trying to figure out all the different variables and this forum is fantastic with information from all you enthusiasts. I am hooked!

Airdata logs:
View attachment 15684
That's great! Have you modded anything or plain stock?
Really most tips and tricks embedded in this thread and the antenna/battery mod threads.

Any european with latest FW experienced any changes in range after update? Can the MP still fly beyond the 4km limit?

Airdata logs:
View attachment 15684

You don't sound like a noob! Great flight and good strategy starting low and gradually moving up for signal. Basically it's difficult for significant range in a strong wind. You did everything right. Just need a better day if you want more range. Very solid flight!

Reactions: lramdial
At my day job I work on commercial radio and antenna systems. I used some spare parts and built this setup that allows me to fly from inside my workshop. Also setup an AppleTV to screen share the DJI app on my larger computer monitor. It's pretty fun. You guys on this forum are awesome and I am thrilled to have a brand new hobby for us engineering types.drone-range-test-03.png drone-range-test-04.png drone-range-test-02.png

At my day job I work on commercial radio and antenna systems. I used some spare parts and built this setup that allows me to fly from inside my workshop. Also setup an AppleTV to screen share the DJI app on my larger computer monitor. It's pretty fun. You guys on this forum are awesome and I am thrilled to have a brand new hobby for us engineering types.View attachment 15702 View attachment 15703 View attachment 15704
Sweet setup! I can see you are like many of us on the board. You'll be tweaking everything and before you know it, rivaling the top of the leaderboard! Lots of fun!

Sweet setup! I can see you are like many of us on the board. You'll be tweaking everything and before you know it, rivaling the top of the leaderboard! Lots of fun!

Hey Cybernate, pleasure to meet you. I am still absorbing all the data points in this sport of competitive long range testing (if I see anything labeled "leader board" I am immediately attracted to that). Some of these top range numbers are not adding up in my simple brain. I would surmise that you would need a day with barely any headwinds at low altitudes, then a strong return tailwind in order to get the numbers seen on the top of the board. I have also experimented with several battery packs described in this site and can only get maybe 10 extra minutes of flight time and the batteries come back at 11.2 volts. I will keep researching as I am still a noob, but any advice or tips would be welcomed around how to get more out of the add on batteries.

Hey Cybernate, pleasure to meet you. I am still absorbing all the data points in this sport of competitive long range testing (if I see anything labeled "leader board" I am immediately attracted to that). Some of these top range numbers are not adding up in my simple brain. I would surmise that you would need a day with barely any headwinds at low altitudes, then a strong return tailwind in order to get the numbers seen on the top of the board. I have also experimented with several battery packs described in this site and can only get maybe 10 extra minutes of flight time and the batteries come back at 11.2 volts. I will keep researching as I am still a noob, but any advice or tips would be welcomed around how to get more out of the add on batteries.
I do not know how you performed the battery mod (you have good times, which packs are used?) but for now, do not attempt to mod via the lead wires in the main battery, see my concerns in the battery mod thread.
Im experimenting with some glues and connectors tonight, want to do a clean mod on the mavic. Just 2 bullet connectors on top, most of it inside the shell. No cables sticking out. Although the double mod is nice (left and right of the gimbal, 2 xt60 connectors) i cannot help it reminds me of a clown and im claurophobic.

I do not know how you performed the battery mod (you have good times, which packs are used?) but for now, do not attempt to mod via the lead wires in the main battery, see my concerns in the battery mod thread.
Im experimenting with some glues and connectors tonight, want to do a clean mod on the mavic. Just 2 bullet connectors on top, most of it inside the shell. No cables sticking out. Although the double mod is nice (left and right of the gimbal, 2 xt60 connectors) i cannot help it reminds me of a clown and im claurophobic.

I did the external XT60 adapter and tried 3 different batteries (see attached). I have a thunder power 960mah poly that I don't have a picture of too.

They all work fine and add 10 minutes flight time, but they all come back still nearly full. What's the trick to get more out of them?

drone-range-test-07.png drone-range-test-06.png

Attachments

• drone-range-test-05.png
    drone-range-test-05.png
    524 KB · Views: 41
I did the external XT60 adapter and tried 3 different batteries (see attached). I have a thunder power 960mah poly that I don't have a picture of too.

They all work fine and add 10 minutes flight time, but they all come back still nearly full. What's the trick to get more out of them?

View attachment 15712 View attachment 15713

You say the lipo's come back at 11.2v? (That is not full. 3.7v/cell means that there's 20% left.)What is the percentage of the main battery after this flight? This should be around 20% too.

Well there are 3 main things regarding battery mod to pay attention to:
- Battery mod needs a good connection to minimize resistance. If you are using the clip which goes on pins, the contact points are quite small. If you often remove and replace clip, it gets loose and contact is even more poor. I used a drop of solder on the contact point to help. For maximum performance you need leads connected directly inside Mavic to the main battery leads. WIth that setup I get 40 minutes runtime out of dual Multistar 4000 LiHV (not Lipo).

- The batteries you choose need to have low internal resistance. The Multistar Hi Capacity Lipos are not good. Too much resistance and you'll always see like 3.75 to 3.8V remaining even when Mavic main battery is at 11%. You'll see better results with the Multistar LiHV batteries. Many people run dual 3000mah LiHV. I run dual 4000mah LiHV for my record breaking runs.

- When you fly, you need to keep the motor out of red zone. By read zone, I mean pushing them above 80% on the tachometer/power meter. Even in P mode with obstacle avoidance off, the motors can be pushed too hard at full pitch (full right stick. You should always monitor motor speed in P mode by having sport mode switch set to ON before you turn controller on. Use these steps when starting:

- Sport mode switch on first
- Power on controller
- Power on Mavic

Now Mavic will be in P mode, but the tachometer will be displayed. Use that meter to keep tachometer below 80% if needed. Usually only in headwind to you need to modulate power. If you have enough wind that modulation of power is needed, then you will likely need to use sport mode on return leg to leverage wind. Same applies. Modulate power in sport mode if need to keep under 80%.

If you have a perfect day with almost no wind, then it's better to stick to P mode for entire flight. Go out with full right stick. Coming back use RTH mode all the way back, but hold right stick in full up position. This gives you 33.6mph. That is a good balanced speed and is what I used to get 108,600ft and just under 40 minutes runtime with dual 4000 LiHV and direct battery mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed209

Well for maximum performance, the direct mod is the best. You don't have to come out next to gimbal, but I think it's the best place. Additionally, that location helps to protect gimbal. When the batteries are plugged in, the wires extend downward and curl back up to batteries. This acts like a spring to absorb the force of hard landings. It has saved my gimbal for sure. I slammed into the ground on one flight where the craft bounce and flipped over. You can also come out on top with direct mode. Not a bad idea, as the top shell is so cheap to buy, like $20 in case you want to make it stock again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR