DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok , I know, let us see the logs. I may post. What could cause simultaneous quad copter cavitation and a failure of the gimbal to calibrate itself?

pentatony

Reactions
I noticed my UAV cavitating or vibrating with a specific frequency with a rather large amplitude for a uav when I brought it in for a landing. Then I noticed a gimbal error message. After landing it tried aligning itself.

I turned everything off and hovered in my house. The cavitation came back. I then calibrated the gimbal. It failed. I then played with the gimbal and changed the battery and restarted a calibration. Calibration successful, no more cavitation..

I then test flew for 5 minutes and hovered several times, putting the drone through its paces. I moved the gimbal around a lot. Nothing happened. I mean, I've dropped my drone once or twice, but nothing seemed amiss.

Has anyone seen a drone vibration or cavitation occurring or coinciding with a gimbal malfunction?

I changed all the props, by the way and checked for debris in the motors. But it definitely coincides with the gimbal. If the gimbal fails to calibrate, the cavitation will definitely return.

-----------------EDIT----------------

It's not related to the gimbal.

Here is what is happening so far. I take off sometimes it cavitates and sometimes it doesn't. When it does start cavitating, A few fast jerks to the front left or right or speedy circles in sports mode make the cavitation go away for the flight duration, ie till the battery is done. Sometimes it will try cavitating again, but a few jerks in sports mode, sets things to normal. What's up with that?

Last edited:
@pentatony well the fact that you have dropped it a few times ,would suggest that there is internal damage to one or more component or the connectors in the drone
you really need to get the drone checked over by a reputable DJI repairer, or even send it to DJI themselves for analysis of the issue
if you are not prepared to submit the logs of the flights where the issues happen ,then no one on this forum can help you

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I use cavitation via a homogenizer to blend e-liquid but I just can't see my drone doing such a thing. I can't see me knowing if it did.

I crashed my Air 2 and it resulted in my image on the controller to be wavy. It takes pictures just fine but video will occasionally be wavy. I also get a "Gimbal motor overloaded" warning but not always.
???

@pentatony
What do you mean by cavitation? I do not think cavitation is applicable to a propeller rotating in air or an airborne drone.
What drone?

How do you know it's the drone and not that the gimbal on the fritz giving the impression that there's some kind of problematic structural vibration? Kinda sounds like something is intermittently impeding the gimbal's movement. Something that would possibly be caused by dropping it "once or twice."

Cavitation is a Fluid to surface phenomenon so It would help to know what you mean by this?
I too would send it in For gimbles even doing it yourself aint gonna save you enough to fuss with it.

If by cavitation you mean vibration, it could be a prop issue. Are you using the factory DJI props? Every time I have had a vibration issue, it ended up being a prop issue.

@pentatony
What do you mean by cavitation? I do not think cavitation is applicable to a propeller rotating in air or an airborne drone.
What drone?
The Mav 3 Enterprise. It is flying normally sometimes at take off, then the whole body starts to resonate in a ferquency. A speciic vibrational frequency, perhaps on the low end. It's almost a countable frquency. It's not a shaky vibration. It's like a .5 second undulation of the whole drone and it last for minutes, then resolves on it;s own. It will also go away , if I suddenly twist or push the aircraft forward with the remote sticks, But a few minutes later the vibration comes back at the exact same frequency.
P.S. I noticed the motors are getting hotter than normal. Maybe there is an ESC malfunction. I have DJI express. I'm using it now.

If by cavitation you mean vibration, it could be a prop issue. Are you using the factory DJI props? Every time I have had a vibration issue, it ended up being a prop issue.
I used DJI manufactured props the first time I noticed it, but this did not help. Anyway, I'm too nervous to use it and have DJI care . I'm going to use it and use EXpress to get a new drone.

@pentatony well the fact that you have dropped it a few times ,would suggest that there is internal damage to one or more component or the connectors in the drone
you really need to get the drone checked over by a reputable DJI repairer, or even send it to DJI themselves for analysis of the issue
if you are not prepared to submit the logs of the flights where the issues happen ,then no one on this forum can help you
You are correct. There must be some sort of internal electronic damage to a stabilizer system. I do have my occasional dropsies or bumps due to high frequent use. I'm sending it in under DJI express. I'm not going to risk flying something that could cause damage to other's, their property or even myself.

I would have asked DJI to have a look at the drone for a possible warranty issue before jumping in and paying for the Express service but that may now be water under the bridge.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1