DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Other People's Etiquette Around Drones

"Sorry, but I'm busy at the moment." Simple way to deal with people. People are curious! If I wasn't flying drones, I would be curious, too! As others before have said, we are ambassadors - no need to be rude, no need to spoil one's shot due to answering questions, either.

Given the back and forth that's went on for three pages over what can be dealt with in a matter of seconds, I have to wonder if the OP is a bit socially-challenged. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe difficult for him to understand what everyone here has been trying to say - and he may be frustrated that others don't see/feel the same as him. Hopefully it goes better in the future for him.

We are involved in an controversial hobby, very scrutinized, closely watched. Each of us can be a positive ambassador for drones. Regardless if we fly professionally or recreationally, we are in public view and reach. Anytime anyone asks questions about droning, I view that as an opportunity to leave a position impression about our hobby. People do get rude and inconsiderate, than deal with it appropriately. People are nice and just plain curious response accordingly.

I agree and we shall not go there guy's .
This is a worldwide forum and lets not offend anyone .;)

Reactions: macoman
Get yourself one of those FAA reflective vest that says: FAA licensed drone pilot. Please do not disturb.

When I wear that vest people leave me along until I finish flying then they come up and speak to me.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
woah, you guys are way too nice and social. Part of why I love my drone hobby is so I can spend time completely alone and relax. I like to go to remote places and just fly my drone and enjoy the view on my tablet and try to be completely immersed in the flight not thinking about anything else in the world. The last thing I want is for someone curious approaching me and starting a chat session and disturbing my meditative experience.

Couple times that I was flying outside of my house, my neighbors started talking to me, can't be short with neighbors though, don't want them to think I'm a jerk, so one time I said "let me land this thing, gimme a sec", but the MP was not far, returning from a flight. Another time a neighbor started talking, I was BVLOS, I kept looking at the screen while answering short "yes, yes thanks, have a good one".

If a stranger came up while I was flying, i'd say "sorry, can't talk right now, I'm flying a military-type bomber drone, don't want to accidentally drop a bomb" :) :) :)

Reactions: gppms
I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?
Haven't had that problem...guess I always choose an area of local park if flying there away from foot traffic.
Hate flying where people are about ...golden rule zero flight above people **

I use a standard answer, "I'm sorry, but I'm not good at multitasking and flying this takes 100% attention. But, if your still hear when I land ,I'd love to answer your questions and talk about how fun it is to fly."

If you're flying commercially, get someone to come along and be your visual observer. It really helps if they can run interference for you since people approach me almost every time I fly. (Aside: I'm surprised no one else said it, but YouTube monetization does require the FAA license.)

I believe in being a good ambassador since people are curious (and sometimes suspicious), so I am friendly, not rude, and happy to answer questions or even let people see "what I see" from the air if it's an appropriate time in the flight. The VO really helps to deflect that type of distraction though.

There's a good post from this guy about it:

I fly for my YouTube channel and right now that doesn't require an FAA License. I've been through all the courses and understand the laws and rules. I even call the local airports to get an override when needed. I would need a vest with slightly different wording.
What’s the problem? If you’ve “been through all the courses” then you are an FAA licensed pilot.

If you're flying commercially, get someone to come along and be your visual observer. It really helps if they can run interference for you since people approach me almost every time I fly. (Aside: I'm surprised no one else said it, but YouTube monetization does require the FAA license.)

I believe in being a good ambassador since people are curious (and sometimes suspicious), so I am friendly, not rude, and happy to answer questions or even let people see "what I see" from the air if it's an appropriate time in the flight. The VO really helps to deflect that type of distraction though.

There's a good post from this guy about it:
Observer is the answer, hobbyist or commercial. Drone license not required in the UK for YouTube.

001-Drone+Operator+Inspire+X5RIMG_8589+copy.jpg

Attachments

• 41E3F340-5FDF-48A9-9BE2-7D45D32B9CC9.jpeg
    41E3F340-5FDF-48A9-9BE2-7D45D32B9CC9.jpeg
    852 KB · Views: 15
What I meant by that is this....

"A flying camera is a lot to control especially when out a 1/2 mile away, wind is 15-20 mph, and I am skimming the ocean and avoiding the swells taking a video of surfers catching a wave." This is about flight safety and if you don't have that much experience with that, then you have to fall back on the photography side which I totally get. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't apply very well to the OP. I'm down with your opinion, it just doesn't speak to the safety issue. Like I said before I'm using 6 fingers to fly the drone and try to get the in camera action shot. I think the photo of my accidentally flying into the clouds should also help with your understanding. After taking the FAA course, safety is number one, and I think that puts everything else, including ambassadorship below that. The question was simply how to tell those that approach me, it wasn't to question the premise of the OP at all. I already am sure what the right thing is to do, just wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks

PS If you are seriously thinking about being a drone pilot and want to see what your are getting yourself into, I suggest at least taking one of the many FAA-type study courses out there. I went through the "Drone Launch" Program and that will put into perspective the difference between being a professional photographer and a professional drone pilot. Yes, your priorities will change.
I’m wondering why you bothered with any kind of FAA course on line or real, as you seriously have no idea about ‘safe’ flying. You ‘say’ safety is number one, after claiming to “skimming the ocean avoiding swells, filming surfers in 15-20mph winds from 1/2 mile away”.
That is anything but safety first. Sounds more like fantasy to me. I’m on the floor laughing so much. You are very entertaining, what’s your youtube channel I gotta check it out.

Then they will be asking or wondering if you are an illegal alien. Some people will be probably call police. So that answer is not

It was a joke! Not a serious answer. I had much to reply on your response and would have been a funny response, but rather not hijack the thread as it’s irrelevant to the OP’s inquiry. Happy flying!

I'm starting to run into this a lot and was wondering how other drone pilots tell other people that are bugging them to frankly go away. When I am flying, I am trying to pay attention to the drone and the flying and someone walks up and tries to start a conversation and puts the whole operation at risk. What I do now is fly home or RTH and take the time to talk with them until they are satisfied at which point they usually walk away. Its a waste of a great video shot and it sometimes cannot be recreated. Any idea of a better way to handle it?
Depends I suppose, was she hot?

My apologies if I offended anyone. It was not my intention as I do speak more than one language and it was said in a joking manner

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661