DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ottawa first responders want to change the drone rules

There are a lot of Arguments for being able to fly without visual line of sight, Search and Rescue by far the Best.
I have always thought that if you were willing to ID track your drone , we should have the freedom to choose .

But were i get stuck is what should the Penalty be for a drone that does not come back or crashes or force lands .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

There are a lot of Arguments for being able to fly without visual line of sight, Search and Rescue by far the Best.
I have always thought that if you were willing to ID track your drone , we should have the freedom to choose .

But were i get stuck is what should the Penalty be for a drone that does not come back or crashes or force lands .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Hopefully with 4G in the Horizon drones will be able to fly beyond line of sight. I believe anafi AI is going to be the first commercial drone sold with that technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Certainly it would depend on the area in which the BVLOS flight is being proposed. In an urban setting the level of danger would be much higher than say on the edge of the wilderness (eg. where I live). Again, controlled airspace would also be a further factor, the risks would indeed be even higher. I believe these exemptions for properly trained first responders are rational, if the environment they generally operate in is not congested by humanity. Hopefully that will be a criteria.

Reactions: Rudiger
I think over half of the drone pilots in this forum break VLOS rules on a regular basis. No ones going to admit it, but they do it. People may not be able to see their drone, but they know the approximate vicinity it's in, and a manned aircraft in that vicinity is easily seen. If this situation arises, it's easy to just lower the drone until the threat has passed. Has anyone heard of any accidents because of a pilot flying BVLOS without permision? If not, it's not because it's not done. It's done a lot.

Thanks for sharing

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
It should depend on whether the drone causes any damage, or if the pilot can be shown to be negligent.

If neither of those happens, there should be no fine at all, although there would always be the possibility of lawsuits.

TCS

I think over half of the drone pilots in this forum break VLOS rules on a regular basis. No ones going to admit it, but they do it. People may not be able to see their drone, but they know the approximate vicinity it's in, and a manned aircraft in that vicinity is easily seen. If this situation arises, it's easy to just lower the drone until the threat has passed. Has anyone heard of any accidents because of a pilot flying BVLOS without permision? If not, it's not because it's not done. It's done a lot.
I wonder how many people that freak out over VLOS rules speed when driving or jaywalk.

I wonder how many people that freak out over VLOS rules speed when driving or jaywalk.
When someone jaywalks they put themselves at risk. When they speed they put themselves and others at risk. When they fly BVLOS they only put others at risk, not themselves. See the difference! There is no comparison!

Chris

When someone jaywalks they put themselves at risk. When they speed they put themselves and others at risk. When they fly BVLOS they only put others at risk, not themselves. See the difference! There is no comparison!

Chris
Jaywalking can easily put others at risk. Just take a bit of thinking about obvious consequences. Maybe sit and think about it for a bit. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe, maybe not. I'm waiting on the Transport Canada report for a verdict.

Still, it says to me that "first responder" doesn't always translate to "doesn't make mistakes".
Human = Mistakes. Humans make mistakes no matter how well they are trained.

Chris
What? Any law breaking activity puts yourself at risk. I see your point, if there were no laws, but there is. Flying beyond VLOS puts yourself at risk, simply because a police officer could file a report with the FAA. Then you get a 1000 dollar bill in the mail. Fun Fun. Laws were made to put people at risk, that normally wouldn't be putting themselves at risk.

What? Any law breaking activity puts yourself at risk. I see your point, if there were no laws, but there is. Flying beyond VLOS puts yourself at risk, simply because a police officer could file a report with the FAA. Then you get a 1000 dollar bill in the mail. Fun Fun. Laws were made to put people at risk, that normally wouldn't be putting themselves at risk.
You are missing the point. It’s about safety, not about whether you get caught and get fined or not. The bottom line is that flying BVLOS does not put the drone pilots safety at risk but it does put the safety of any manned aircraft that may be in the vicinity of his/her drone at risk as well as anyone on the ground should the drone come down in a built up area.

Chris

You are missing the point. It’s about safety, not about whether you get caught and get fined or not. The bottom line is that flying BVLOS does not put the drone pilots safety at risk but it does put the safety of any manned aircraft that may be in the vicinity of his/her drone at risk as well as anyone on the ground should the drone come down in a built up area.

Chris
I guess we will have to see when a drone actually takes down a manned aircraft. It hasn't happened yet. What has and continues to happen is manned aircraft hitting each other in mid flight and taking each other down. No UAV has taken down a manned aircraft yet. Yes, they hit some, but they only cause emergency landings , just to get a damage inspection, they don't get damaged to the point of malfunction. Pre-crime laws are becoming the norm.

It's not freaking out to respect a law designed to keep innocent users of airspace safe. I cringe whenever cowboy pilots boast of range tests and other stupidity. It is easy to keep to VLOS; that way you are doing your best to enjoy/profit from drone technology whilst having regard for the safety of others. Its basically about empathy vs selfishness.

Also in the news: Canadian first responder drone crashes into plane on final approach to airport…

I'm sure the evil kenevil police drone was getting ready to pull that plane over midair for speeding. These are the guys that get the COAs, but they are departmental and half of them don't know what an airspace is. We need to rant on those COA drone guys, they're just as bad as the Rouge guys. Just us recreational types get the hounding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard