DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ottawa first responders want to change the drone rules

I'm sure the evil kenevil police drone was getting ready to pull that plane over midair for speeding. These are the guys that get the COAs, but they are departmental and half of them don't know what an airspace is. We need to rant on those COA drone guys, they're just as bad as the Rouge guys. Just us recreational types get the hounding.

Excuse me? How about some links to back up your bold statements there.

As someone who spends a lot of time working with "departments with COA's" etc I see absolutely zero evidence to support your statement. In fact I see the opposite.... most valid Public Safety/Emergency Services Departments are overly cautious because their every move is highly scrutinized and held extremely accountable.

For those who are "concerned" about Search-n-Rescue not being able to fly BVLOS (at least in the USA) we have a very quick and efficient process for getting approvals to fly BVLOS during an actual incident. Within a matter of minutes (if you have the right credentials etc) you can have your approval for BVLOS and it not hamper your operations. This is ONLY for an active incident but it's quick and easy.

Excuse me? How about some links to back up your bold statements there.

As someone who spends a lot of time working with "departments with COA's" etc I see absolutely zero evidence to support your statement. In fact I see the opposite.... most valid Public Safety/Emergency Services Departments are overly cautious because their every move is highly scrutinized and held extremely accountable.

For those who are "concerned" about Search-n-Rescue not being able to fly BVLOS (at least in the USA) we have a very quick and efficient process for getting approvals to fly BVLOS during an actual incident. Within a matter of minutes (if you have the right credentials etc) you can have your approval for BVLOS and it not hamper your operations. This is ONLY for an active incident but it's quick and easy.
Now was the drone still in one piece and just landed itself or was it destroyed beyond recognition? Was there recoverable photo/video that was rolling when this incident happened? Or maybe the flight track of both could be compared? We could likely get the plane flight from flight aware, but the plane is not likely recording footage, but the drone might be. Is it being withheld pending investigation?

Now was the drone still in one piece and just landed itself or was it destroyed beyond recognition? Was there recoverable photo/video that was rolling when this incident happened? Or maybe the flight track of both could be compared? We could likely get the plane flight from flight aware, but the plane is not likely recording footage, but the drone might be. Is it being withheld pending investigation?

You've quoted me for something that wasn't from me to begin with.

You've quoted me for something that wasn't from me to begin with.
Obviously the SAR fly the drone mostly like the rest of us. They just want to have BVLOS. I guess the SAR flying in the approach path wherein the glide path is different amongst aircraft, is a related, but separate topic in another thread on this forum.

It should depend on whether the drone causes any damage, or if the pilot can be shown to be negligent.
No, it shouldn’t! When you fly illegally, you have no idea whether or not your actions are going to cause a serious accident - you either don’t care or are gambling on the fact that nothing serious will happen. Either way, the potential for it to happen is always there.

As an aside, if the pilot knowingly breaks the rules, he is, by definition, being negligent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard