DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Over Exposure

luckydog125

Reactions
Hi and thanks for taking a look. I shot some photos and video yesterday on our golf trip here in HOT Arizona. As you can see this photo is pretty over exposed and the video looks the same as well. I just have everything in standard settings and I am no shutterbug but are there easy settings to make this look better. I obviously wouldnt have known it was going to look like this until I got up in the air. Didnt seem like I had to make these adjustments with my old Vision 2 Plus. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9112.JPG
    IMG_9112.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 108
It looks like you had the camera set to manual. If you set it to auto (like shown below), it'll auto set the exposure. That works well in most cases when shooting photos.

DJIGO-Camera-Settings-Auto.jpg

Hi and thanks for taking a look. I shot some photos and video yesterday on our golf trip here in HOT Arizona. As you can see this photo is pretty over exposed and the video looks the same as well. I just have everything in standard settings and I am no shutterbug but are there easy settings to make this look better. I obviously wouldnt have known it was going to look like this until I got up in the air. Didnt seem like I had to make these adjustments with my old Vision 2 Plus. Thanks!
As you go forward if you will be in environments like that in particular you may want to consider getting ND filters as they make a huge difference especially with video.

Don't I have this on Auto Focus? If not, where do I locate that setting.

Attachments

• IMG_9120.PNG
    IMG_9120.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
You probably had exposure compensation turned up a lot due to manipulating the right wheel without noticing. Check you see EV 0.0 on the camera settings.

I put your image into Davinci Resolve to see if any of the over exposure could be brought back. Nope. You can see by the scopes where it's completely clipped at the "pure white" level. With the sun as bright as it is here in AZ, you really can't get away without using an ND filter. They make all the difference in the world. All and all, it's still not a bad picture and I'm sure your friends will enjoy it.

upload_2017-7-1_16-3-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-1_16-2-49.png
    upload_2017-7-1_16-2-49.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
What does an ND filter do for you that changing the EV wouldn't do ?

Since everyone seems to think the filter is the way to go I'm obviously missing something :)

It is completely wrong and an ND filter is absolutely not needed to get correct exposure, those who state so haven't understood the point at all.
It's only needed if you want cinematic shutter speeds.

Crazy how some people will insist on posting wrong stuff, even after the correct solution was given and confirmed o_O

Reactions: gnirtS and cobra46
It is completely wrong and an ND filter is absolutely not needed to get correct exposure

That was what I was assuming but the ND filters keep getting mentioned so I thought I was just missing something.

Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77