DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pennsylvania Man Facing Federal Felony Charges for Illegally Operating a Drone During the National Football League’s AFC Championship Game

jaja6009

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Reactions: Torque
A good reason to know the rules and regulations!
Trying to put the blame on DJI and the app is sad.

Don't recall if TRUST covers such things. But, I bet he didn't do TRUST or maybe just hadn't waited the 8 hour bottle to throttle. Or was consuming at the time and didn't have clear judgment. Definitely lacking in his ADM skills.

With the attention this type of thing has gotten in the past several years it is hard to believe anyone doesn’t know it is illegal to fly a drone near or over a stadium that is in use.

Not sure jail time is the answer in cases like this, but fines and forcing them to earn a §107 would definitely be in order. Having to earn their certification they could never again say they didn’t know the rules.

Ignorance of the law excuses no one. Of course blaming DJI or anyone else is stupid.
I forget now, but doesn't DJI make you click the box stating you will abide by all of the rules when you first register your drone?

Side note, I also wanted to fly near Levi stadium for the 49rs game. It was 10 minutes before the TFR around the stadium went into effect and I decided it was cutting it too close for comfort. The stadium is directly in the flight path for KSJC so finding a good spot near the stadium isn't that easy anyway. I ended up taking pictures of the flyover instead (on my DSLR, from the ground of course.) I went back last weekend and found a semi close spot to the stadium but the max height was 200 feet so it wasn't that great of a shot anyway.

Flyover

20240128_84445_Levis_Flyover.jpg

20240128_84461_Levis_Flyover.jpg

Stadium from 200'

DJI_20240203155838_0344_D_A3.JPG

Reactions: mavictk
Please make your comments on the topic. Off-the-wall statements will be removed.

According to that newspaper account, the charges are for ”knowingly“ doing what he did.

Maybe this is a case where ignorance is a defens!

If not, he may have three years of idle time to bone up on drone laws.

Ignorance of the law excuses no one. Of course blaming DJI or anyone else is stupid.
I forget now, but doesn't DJI make you click the box stating you will abide by all of the rules when you first register your drone?

Side note, I also wanted to fly near Levi stadium for the 49rs game. It was 10 minutes before the TFR around the stadium went into effect and I decided it was cutting it too close for comfort. The stadium is directly in the flight path for KSJC so finding a good spot near the stadium isn't that easy anyway. I ended up taking pictures of the flyover instead (on my DSLR, from the ground of course.) I went back last weekend and found a semi close spot to the stadium but the max height was 200 feet so it wasn't that great of a shot anyway.

Flyover

View attachment 172491

View attachment 172492

Stadium from 200'

View attachment 172493
Wow what a great shot of 35s and 16s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members