DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom Rain post - Flying with a wingman - side by side

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Video shows how the Mavic 2 responds to a second drone in very close air space.
This is going to help us determine how close we fly the drones next to each other in a tandem mission.

The full video is of course posted on Phantomrain.org but we learned a lot as to what we can expect and what is possible.
Obviously we know the Risks involved but this our step 1. Wind is always a constant so will do this again at 20 mph winds most likely settle for 15 max

The funny thing is everything we read about this kind of flying such as the Vacuum effect was not something that was evident at all.
This is why its so critical to do your own testing as you learn so much more .

There were a lot of videos that warned of flying the drones closer than 6 ft but we found 2 to 3 ft just fine. So were thinking of a 4 ft spread for the tandem flying.

How we fly side by side is still up for debate , or who is going to lead the way if we stagger but side by side single file was the most compelling as they both hovered in that spot without fluctuations.

Much of how this works will also be determined by what software we end up using for the tandem flights.

Obviously that came as a complete surprise as I thought it might push the drone forward some but it held.

So this is a Phantom Rain Post - I mumble about stuff i love , if you dont like it, dont watch the video it is kind of boring, no music , just some quick clips and close encounters.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the storm

We are about to have the first Jersey Droner Meet in which we will have a group of four or more drones flying out to a ship graveyard 3000 feet from the launch site. When I just fly with one other person we always communicate our altitudes to prevent collisions. Is that still the best idea when flying with a group. Maybe each agree to fly within a range. Pilot one 20-40 ft, Pilot two 42-52 pilot three 53-63 ft?

Or maybe smaller increments but then we effect each other flights if we are directly over someone. This flight will be almost completely over water.

Reactions: JS1600
I like this concept.

Question. will the wet suits or neoprene add enough buoyance to the phantoms to keep them afloat if they take a plunge? My insurance covers water damage only if i can recover the drone.....

Nice video.

In Regards to you upcomig meet, it looks like your skills flying close are no problem.
But so you can mentally picture what not to do, you need to see the drone scene from this movie.
Tried to find the scene, but no luck.

Lol... I saw this .. I think in one of these forums .. one drone sat on top of another in the air..sent the pics to my wingman lol neighbor who often flies like he’s an f16 Pilot..

Attachments

• 1B639B99-D58B-4F38-A2AF-C7CBB00C97B7.png
    1B639B99-D58B-4F38-A2AF-C7CBB00C97B7.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • C092EC7B-81F2-4151-AC8B-34111444F172.png
    C092EC7B-81F2-4151-AC8B-34111444F172.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 0BF60129-4A6C-425F-857D-9A2F5555BAA3.png
    0BF60129-4A6C-425F-857D-9A2F5555BAA3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
  • Wow
We are about to have the first Jersey Droner Meet in which we will have a group of four or more drones flying out to a ship graveyard 3000 feet from the launch site. When I just fly with one other person we always communicate our altitudes to prevent collisions. Is that still the best idea when flying with a group. Maybe each agree to fly within a range. Pilot one 20-40 ft, Pilot two 42-52 pilot three 53-63 ft?

Or maybe smaller increments but then we effect each other flights if we are directly over someone. This flight will be almost completely over water.

That sound like an awesome run. 3000 ft is a nice challenge for everyone.

So consider that you will have a Visual for up to about to be safe 1250 ft so you can fly side by side , than on que start to spread on up one down to a designated height, if your not using software for the flight.

On the way back since you cannot see your drones maybe use the RTH at the different heights for the safe and easy return.

Just a little bit more of a challenge , than a free for all at different heights which would be not as cinematic as side by side for awhile , lol

I think answering your question I figured out how I am going to do set the wing man mission up based on this cinematic approach with an alt change at the end , about 2000 ft out.

Last edited:
I like this concept.

Question. will the wet suits or neoprene add enough buoyance to the phantoms to keep them afloat if they take a plunge? My insurance covers water damage only if i can recover the drone.....

The Mavic Wet Suit was made to keep the rain out of the drone and the battery compartment and to protect the actual battery from moisture.
You can check all of the rain vids out at phantomrain.org

Reactions: Porky
Nice video.

In Regards to you upcomig meet, it looks like your skills flying close are no problem.
But so you can mentally picture what not to do, you need to see the drone scene from this movie.
Tried to find the scene, but no luck.

Tunnel is on my watch list for tonight, Thank you. :oops:

Our skills are usually just two of us lol

I use firehouse strobes and can actually just retain visual at 3000 more depending on light. Not sure if anyone else will have strobes.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Making the Phantom 4 the Rock Star as I dial in some of the possible camera angles will use for the Wing Man Flights using the Mavic 2 as the chase drone and the Phantom as the lead drone.

Some mumbling to help the Phantom fly.

Update:

Tripod mode on the Mavic 2 is so much slower than on the Phantom 4 Pro , thus the Phantom pulled so far away that even with the zoom I was loosing the Position to keep it insight..

The Variables on two different drones types is making this much harder to match speeds. Trial and error now as i we program the missions.

Thus two Mavics or two Phantoms at same speeds would warrant better accuracy.

Without the zoom looks like this , so big pull away by the Phantom 4 Pro in Tripod mode

Break Thru : Using Litchi on the Phantom 4 and Active Track on the Mavic 2 looks to be hopeful but need to get closer to the drone , will post new video soon on edit of this thread.

Using Active Track - Spot Light mode to ISOLATE what and how to keep the Drone active in that mode.

We learned quickly that you do not want to use the Zoom function on the Mavic 2 while using Active track as the Camera is what is in control of the follow.

We also had a hard time getting the Active GO BOX to come up when level with the drone in the sky , once we Get the the GO BOX green we were good to go except when zooming in, than the Mavic 2 Zoom lost the ability to track.

The idea is still looking very promising as we dial in what to do and what not to do.

So the Phantom 4 is flying around and the Mavic 2 zoom is trying to follow its path, our concern is keeping it close but the zooming in with the camera is not the answer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the storm.

Last edited:
Looking into this setup to view both the Mavic and the Phantom and reading that it works with the camera also.

Anyone have this setup :
7 inch monitor $150

Update:

Wingman for DJI - App is designed to allow drones to follow each other

App requires purchase : $7.99 for lifetime follow

Must be installed on each Drone for it to work, will post a video soon of the initial setup.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark