DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning a flight in/ through downtown Cincinnati….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the 8 hrs refers to the time when I checked the TFR....so it would go active roughly 8 hrs from the time I posted it which was approx 1015. I checked now at 1342 hrs and it said "live in 4 hours."
See Sky Vector for updates.

Ok... so I feel like I'm being a little dense here. However, Id rather ask all the stupid questions and be clear than not.... and be ignorant which could result in getting in trouble and or loosing my favorite toy lol.

The last thing that tag says... is "active in 8 hours" so..... that gives me the "planning" I need Im thinking. If I were flying in Cinci right now, I would be ok.. but in 8 hours when that goes live, I need to be back on the ground or its gonna be trouble. If that's the case I have it figured out lol.

Correct. It's not active until the stated time. They publish the future TFRs on the map so you can plan your flights accordingly and not be surprised in the middle of an operation.

Ok...that's what I wanted to know. That makes sense so with that you shouldn't run into an issue as long as you look over the map before you set out for the day. I'm just trying to avoid a situation where the drone lands when I dont want it to.

So tomorrow is the day… im going to try this flight...

Right now this is what the map in Cinci says:

CIN vs PHI

Level: Authorization Zones

Type: Temporary Flight Restriction

Start Time: 9-04-2019 17:40:00 UTC-04

End Time: 9-04-2019 23:10:00 UTC-04

Time: 24-hour clock

I will be trying to fly early... probably 9 in the morning. The flight restriction doesn't actually start until way later. But Cinci is already covered by the blue zone... will I be able to take off??

So tomorrow is the day… im going to try this flight...

Right now this is what the map in Cinci says:

CIN vs PHI

Level: Authorization Zones

Type: Temporary Flight Restriction

Start Time: 9-04-2019 17:40:00 UTC-04

End Time: 9-04-2019 23:10:00 UTC-04

Time: 24-hour clock

I will be trying to fly early... probably 9 in the morning. The flight restriction doesn't actually start until way later. But Cinci is already covered by the blue zone... will I be able to take off??
All other factors being legal, a Big “if” I fear, the TFR should not affect flight at the time you state. Be aware that if you are within a TFR when it activates you drone will land where it is.

All other factors being legal, a Big “if” I fear, the TFR should not affect flight at the time you state. Be aware that if you are within a TFR when it activates you drone will land where it is.

Right! From what I can tell... that flight restriction kicks in at 5:40PM. I wont be in the air anytime near that.

At 8:30 in the morning, say the drone does not want to take off for whatever reason, is there at that point a way to bypass it?

I was able to fly a total of three batteries through the Mavic in Cincinnati! No issues at all. As expected, the restrictions weren't active until later in the day and the drone did warn of that but no other problems. Took a few photos, but mostly I was shooting 4k video.. which I'll post once I get the shots edited up.

I actually walked accros the bridge into Kentucky and found that I had better signal from a distance vs being right in the middle of everything. I was able to fly pretty much all the way through downtown without signal interference. Thanks to everyone who advised in this thread! DJI_0358.JPGDJI_0359.JPG

DJI_0361.JPGDJI_0362.JPGDJI_0369.JPGDJI_0371.JPG

Reactions: Thomas B and masic
Well done!
Interesting about the signal strength you commented on.

I was super impressed with the Mavic's distance. I'm assuming when I tried to fly from right in the middle of town the signal was blocked by all the buildings and who knows what kind of interference. When I walked across the bridge I was able to find a nice walking trail way up on the bank so I'm sure that didnt hurt either.

The mavic is an amazing machine for sure. Makes me wonder what the Inspire would be like...

At what altitude were you ?
Thanks

Yeah.
That's what I thought.
Sigh...

Can you please be compliant in the future?

I really wish this forum would stop promoting illegal flights...

............Can you please be compliant in the future?

I really wish this forum would stop promoting illegal flights...

Come on man... this has been discussed ad nauseam .....

• 15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

For the record we DO NOT PROMOTE/CONDONE any illegal activity as a forum. We highly encourage EVERY operator to follow all Federal, State, and Local law/ordinances but we aren't here to (again as a forum) try and Watchdog/Police every single sUAS activity.

Me personally, I don't approve of such blatant violations of the Federal Regulations and I do know for a fact that ABC agencies do visit all of our forums. We have documented cases of members "getting the call/letter" from such instances but fortunately the FAA is Education First mindset unless there is an incident.

When I saw @Ohio_mavicpilot images I knew right away he was most likely well above the 400' AGL but it's not my call and I doubt any "enforcement" would come from this single thread anyway.

As a side note, it isn't too difficult to do some math and come up with a pretty good estimation of the altitude these images were taken from. Again not my call but I don't think I'd publish these images too far and wide. At some point someone might take exception to them and "drop a dime".....

Don't get me wrong... those are AWESOME pictures but I don't think they are worth the risk to capture and not worth the risk to share . . . . . My 2 cents . . .

Reactions: dawgpilot
OK.
I'll rephrase: I really wish PEOPLE would stop commenting "well done!" when it is obvious that the pics were obtained illegally.

Reactions: BigAl07
The funny thing is...most of or maybe everyone in this discussion has probably flown over 400ft and just didn't post evidence of it. I for one dont really care what anyone thinks. I may or may not have (not admitting to anything) shot up above the ceiling and taken a few photos and came right back down...dont like, dont look at the shots.

Now someone lock this up, I refuse to argue with people on the internet.

My friend you started this when you posted your pictures on the forum of the illegal activity and someone nicely pointed it out.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Since the OP has "Taken his leave" of the forum I think it's better we go ahead and shut this thread down as it is.

THREAD CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard