DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Playback speed on the Mavic

Urbansailor

Reactions
Hey guys,

Had my first outdoor flight today and I absolutly love this thing. (Although I did have a run in with 2 birds which made me cut the flight short! 2 Big kestrals suddenly showed an interest after appearing from nowhere :p)

I watched the videos recorded during the flight today and noticed something. Flying around just looking at trees, scenery etc is fine. But when I tested active track and had the Mavic focused on me, the playback almost looked sped up. A little bit short of needing the Benny Hill theme tune while I was walking around. Anyone else noticed this?

I'm not too fussed as I'm not using that part of the video, but if you try using editing software to slow it down (Sony movie studio), it seems a tad jerky.

Just wondering if I've missed a setting on the Mavic.

Hey,

Did you find a solution for the sped up playback?? Just did my first flight today, and I'm having the exact same problem.
Hopefully it's just some kind of setting that i missed .

Cheers,
Davy

Happened to me once. I think its just a glitch in the software. Hasn't happened since.

Thank you JCorey. I just upgraded to firmware 01.03.0200 (app 4.0.2) and will try it again. A glitch in the software is not unusual: sometimes the lower half of the image on the iPhone is green and after a while it is back to normal.

I was a bit disappointed that no one else came here to address the issue and help us out. I'm a photographer so don't know much about shooting videos. Anyway I did some research and found the answer...
If you record with a high shutter speed (in bright conditions) the playback will seem to be sped up, because the video isn't as smooth. You can solve this by using ND filters (these have been discussed in the forum), this way you can bring down the shutter speed, ideally to about 1/120s.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Today I made a recording in lower light conditions (previously I had bright conditions) and now it was not sped up but quite normal, so I can confirm the conclusion of SuperDave. I wouldn't like to work with filters, so I will try to figure out if there is an other work around. (Maybe MP4 instead of MOV or whatever; I didn't figure out yet all the settings to play with and didn't do all the reading of Forums). I also reported the issue to DJI-support, but no answer so far.

Found this remark of Mojo that seems plausible to me:
'Quote'
My guess is you were shooting 4K 30fps with an extremely high shutter speed. The shutter speed should be set to 2x the frame rate . If you had the camera set to auto and its bright... the shutter speed will adjust to an abnormally high rate and cause jumpy video. The only way to fix that on cameras with a fixed aperture, like the phantom, is with ND filters or flying when there is less available light.

You could also fly at a higher frame rate,60 fps and 120ish shutter speed, that would also mitigate the available light issue.
'Unquote'
I will try to follow this advice as soon as I have the opportunity.

Reactions: SuperDave
Hello everyone,

sorry for re-opening this topic but it seems that the issue has not been corrected with the various firmware updates since November 2016.

I also recorded a video while in Active Track mode, and while recording I noticed that the video feedback on the screen was not as smooth as usual, like if only one image over two or three was displayed. I was also disappointed by the quality of the tracking (a child running on the beach), maybe it's linked to the not continuous video link.
I was about 10m from the Mavic and my recording settings were 1080p, 30fps, NTSC, MP4. The firmware was 1.03.900. When viewing the video on my computer, it was like it was accelerated by a factor 2 or 3.

I am not convinced by the "bright conditions" explanation, because it does not explain the accelerated video (I understand the high shutter speed effect and how it can affect the rendering of the video). Would it be possible that the Mavic, during a particular event, would not have the sufficient computational resource to both perform the tracking and the continuous filming ?

I am currently updating to 1.03.1000, maybe it will help to solve the issue.

Yoan

P.S: please excuse my English, it's not my native language.

Last edited:
Nobody has ever posted a sample showing that supposed problem, so it's not surprising there isn't much advice or opinions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake