DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help! HLG color difference in media player vs Davinci Resolve

CalebLA

Reactions
I love the Hasselblad colors of my Mavic 3 Pro!

But when it comes to the HLG profile, I can't figure out why it looks great on the Windows media player (and other players), but when I import it to Davinci Resolve, it has a strange purple hue.

I know I must be doing something wrong, but can't put my finger on it.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Caleb

Media Player HLG.jpg
Media Player HLG

Davinici Resolve HLG.jpg
Davinci Resolve HLG

Check to see how your Resolve color processing settings are set. Working in any HDR mode must be specified. Also, you will not see the real HDR image unless you have an HDR capable monitor. This is true for your other video viewers as well. Setting up a HDR/HLG environment takes a fair amount of $ and effort.

Looking at your comparison pictures, you can easily get the effect you want in Resolve by boosting the saturation and contrast on the color page.

I love the Hasselblad colors of my Mavic 3 Pro!

But when it comes to the HLG profile, I can't figure out why it looks great on the Windows media player (and other players), but when I import it to Davinci Resolve, it has a strange purple hue.

I know I must be doing something wrong, but can't put my finger on it.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Caleb

View attachment 167048
Media Player HLG

View attachment 167049
Davinci Resolve HLG
HLG uses Rec 2020 primaries which means the color profile is not being converted properly or automatically. By default DaVinci Resolve is set up to function in Rec 709 color space, which is what televisions since the turn of the century have used for HD broadcast. Many new televisions and monitors can display a limited Rec 2020 color space. If you want to convert Rec 2020 to Rec 709 in DaVinci Resolve you must either enter you project settings and change from automatic color management to a custom set up. That converts Rec 2020 to Rec 709, but the. You are throwing away the expanded color space of Rec 2020, but it will display correctly on your Rec 709 TV or sRGB computer monitor. Some modern desktop media players can play Rec 2020 and convert the image for your display. HDR is a whole other topic. If you are working with Rec 709 and Rec 2020 footage then you can add a color transform FX node to your footage in the timeline to convert the Rec 2020 footage to Rec 709 for editing different kinds of footage in the same project.

So I just wanted to update everybody:
I changed the input to custom and put the input as DJI D-Gamut/D-Log.
The color automatically looked more natural, yet it was slightly overexposed.
I took "Dave Maine's" advice and increased saturation and contrast, and it looks Identical to the Media player now!

But I wonder, When the HLG is sort of overexposed, is that how it is in its "raw" format? and therefore, was the media player adding contrast and/or saturation to the image in order to make it look better? or did it switch it to a different color space to make it look better?

In Davinci resolve, there are all sorts of Color spaces for HLG, e.g. Rec.2020 (Scene), HLG ARIB, HLG 1000 nits, HLG intermediate, etc, So I am wondering which one of these profiles should be the actual input for the DJI HLG footage?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Caleb