DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI: fine tuning with the sticks?

Kai Mele

Reactions
I was practicing Point of Interest with my Mavic today and though the basics are working well for me I'm a bit confused about the functions of the sticks when in this mode.

If I understand it correctly, the right stick, pushed forward or back, actually controls the drone ascending or descending, correct? And the left stick, pushed forward or back, controls the radius of the circle, correct?

Pushing the left stick to the right or left, turns the drone as usual, correct? And pushing the right stick right or left determines whether the bird orbits the PIO clockwise or counterclockwise, yes?

The part that really mixes me up is the right stick controlling ascend and descend rather than the left stick doing this.

There are lots of tutorials on POI but I haven't really found any the go into detail about the specifics of stick assignments while in this mode.

I was practicing Point of Interest with my Mavic today and though the basics are working well for me I'm a bit confused about the functions of the sticks when in this mode.

If I understand it correctly, the right stick, pushed forward or back, actually controls the drone ascending or descending, correct? And the left stick, pushed forward or back, controls the radius of the circle, correct?

Pushing the left stick to the right or left, turns the drone as usual, correct? And pushing the right stick right or left determines whether the bird orbits the PIO clockwise or counterclockwise, yes?

The part that really mixes me up is the right stick controlling ascend and descend rather than the left stick doing this.

There are lots of tutorials on POI but I haven't really found any the go into detail about the specifics of stick assignments while in this mode.

Check here:

Mavic Pro - Hand takeoff/land | Point of Interest - YouTube

This may help you:

8ddacc33ecdc9f841ee86264da9fd92a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If i may give you some advice. When flying any arial based craft you want to increase you flying skills. You want to ensure that youre able to fly the craft in a way that allows you tobget the vest shot. Not only will it give you more control, but it will give you confidence and teach u the finer skills of flying. Yes the MP does a great POI mode. I would suggest thought learning to do POI rotations by hand... Flying them in real time. Its a simple thing to learn and will really help your general flying skills. When i started flying Heli RC it was one of the first skills i mastered, and believe me thats a lot more difficult than doing it with a drone locked in GPS mode. Go to a big field and place a cone or object on the ground. Dont even use a screen to get a POV... Just fly by looking at the craft.... And try and rotate around it. Start with from a static hover. Start by rolling left... (Left stick to the left ) and as u do at yaw to right. You will see the craft starts to rotate ... Now just have to learn the balance between the two.... Practice flying skills.... Dont rely on the crafts gizmos and bells to do it for u.

Posted from somewhere in beautiful South Africa

If i may give you some advice. When flying any arial based craft you want to increase you flying skills. You want to ensure that youre able to fly the craft in a way that allows you tobget the vest shot. Not only will it give you more control, but it will give you confidence and teach u the finer skills of flying. Yes the MP does a great POI mode. I would suggest thought learning to do POI rotations by hand... Flying them in real time. Its a simple thing to learn and will really help your general flying skills. When i started flying Heli RC it was one of the first skills i mastered, and believe me thats a lot more difficult than doing it with a drone locked in GPS mode. Go to a big field and place a cone or object on the ground. Dont even use a screen to get a POV... Just fly by looking at the craft.... And try and rotate around it. Start with from a static hover. Start by rolling left... (Left stick to the left ) and as u do at yaw to right. You will see the craft starts to rotate ... Now just have to learn the balance between the two.... Practice flying skills.... Dont rely on the crafts gizmos and bells to do it for u.

Posted from somewhere in beautiful South Africa
That's excellent advice, thank you! I will take up your suggestions and go practice.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31