DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro ND's now available - Sponsored Sticky

I saw the following from one of the admins on the official DJI Mavic Facebook group:

I'd be interested to hear Polar Pro's take on it. I know that my PP filters worked perfect on my P3/P4, so I'm not sure I buy this...

Here is our take:
We Fully warrant our filters to be 100% compatible with the DJI Mavic.
We have done extensive stress testing on the gimbal and this is a common question we have received for the last 3 years.

We would not release anything we don't personally use ourselves, I have been shooting with a filter that is 4 grams heavier than the production filters for stress testing and it the gimbal has shown 0 signs of wear with over 250 hours on it.

We take full responsibility for our products, and we guarantee compatibility,

-Jeff

Ant tips on getting the filters on and off quickly and easily? I didn't have too much trouble getting them on, though it felt like I was pushing on the gimbal pretty hard. But getting them off was a bit of a challenge and it really felt like I was stressing the gimbal. Both maneuvers also left finger prints on the filters, which needed to be cleaned off.

This wouldn't be a big deal if the filter could just stay on all the time, but doing this filter dance every time I turn the Mavic on and off is going to get old really fast. Unless maybe I'm missing some trick to easily slide them on and off?
Great question,
1. Always support the gimbal with your other hand. You should never be pushing on the gimbal without supporting it.
2. To remove, try to lift the filter off with 4 fingers, grabbing under the base of the filter.

We hear your feedback on leaving it on, and we will design the CS to be left on. A benefit of the longer frame is it does act like a mini lens hood when flying.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Jeff

Literally my only hesitation with filters. Long wait for this drone, certainly don't want to mess up the gimbal in attempting to install/remove the filters with every use..

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Great thought,
As long as you always support the gimbal with your other hand you the gimbal will be safe and sound. After doing it a few times it gets to be very simple.
-Jeff

Reactions: lifeismusic
Hi Jeff, can you check on my 6-pack order number #2299926360. I'm going abroad with my Mavic from Australia in a week and my order status hasn't changed. I ordered in October and did pay for Express shipping. Just saw someone had theirs shipped so I'm getting quite nervous!! Thanks!
All 6-Packs started shipping Thursday and I believe they will complete all 6-Pack orders by Monday.
Thank you for the support!
-Jeff

That is correct, The Cinema Series will be more expensive, because it uses a higher end glass and a thin aluminum frame.
Thanks!
-Jeff
Hi Jeff,
So if I understand, I bought the 6 filters option (should get it Monday or Tuesday,) to get the Cinema Series all I have to do is to email proof of purchase to get a discount?
Thanks

Great question,
1. Always support the gimbal with your other hand. You should never be pushing on the gimbal without supporting it.
2. To remove, try to lift the filter off with 4 fingers, grabbing under the base of the filter.

We hear your feedback on leaving it on, and we will design the CS to be left on. A benefit of the longer frame is it does act like a mini lens hood when flying.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I just got back from a flight, and I tried to follow your instructions, but I'm just not getting it. When I'm in the field, I'm holding the Mavic with one hand and trying to push the filter on with the other hand. I don't have a 3rd hand to use to support the gimbal. I ended up wedging the Mavic vertically between my arm and body so that I could use both hands on the gimbal and filter. This didn't make me very comfortable as I felt like I might drop the Mavic at any minute. And because this has to be done with the Mavic powered on, the gimbal was trying to move as my hand was bracing it. I can't imagine that's very good for it. Again, I ended up with finger prints all over the filter and ended up using my shirt to wipe them off with some success.

Once I was airborne with the ND8 filter, I noticed that it was really too dark for the cloudy conditions as I was at about -1 EV. I landed it to swap the filter, but struggled even more to get the filter off. At least with taking it off, you can get away with powering the Mavic off first so the gimbal isn't actively fighting you. I tried to get 4 fingers on the filter's back edge like you suggested, but I just couldn't get 4 fingers to fit around the tiny thing. I don't think I have large fingers, but I couldn't figure it out. And with as many fingers as possible on the filter, there really isn't much room to get more fingers in behind it to stabilize the gimbal. I think this would all be easier in the comfort of home with a table to hold the Mavic, but that's not really an option since the filter has to go on after power up.

I finally got the ND8 off and went to grab an ND4 to put in its place, but then realized (remembered) that the kit doesn't come with an ND4. ARGHHH!

I'm really trying to like these filters, but I've gotta say this has been way more struggle so far than I'm willing to deal with. I've used plenty of other Polar Pro products in the past with great results. But from my experience so far, these Mavic filters are a dud. I just placed an order for the Taco set. We'll see how that goes.

Reactions: lifeismusic
Here is our take:
We Fully warrant our filters to be 100% compatible with the DJI Mavic.
We have done extensive stress testing on the gimbal and this is a common question we have received for the last 3 years.

We would not release anything we don't personally use ourselves, I have been shooting with a filter that is 4 grams heavier than the production filters for stress testing and it the gimbal has shown 0 signs of wear with over 250 hours on it.

We take full responsibility for our products, and we guarantee compatibility,

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. As I said I've had tons of hours on my old filters for the P3A & P4 with no issues, and I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new 6 pack on Monday.

Reactions: PolarPro
@PolarPro Did you guys actually test these on a Mavic prior to putting them into production? I am just a little baffled as if you did then you surely would have discovered that the Mavic would not pass its startup routine with them in place. Yet now you are bringing out the 'Cinema' version which can remain in place. So I guess my question is why did you not do extensive tests with the original filters and produce them from the same material and size as the Cinema ones? After all you state yourself that the Cinema ones are such due to better optics, the casing is irrelevant.

Reactions: Kilrah
Thanks Jeff. I just got back from a flight, and I tried to follow your instructions, but I'm just not getting it. .

Here is a good install video:

If its too much work for you I think the Cinema Series launching in January would be a great option. If you are not happy with these we are ready to get you into a different set or get a return set up. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
-Jeff

Reactions: Jayfly
@PolarPro Did you guys actually test these on a Mavic prior to putting them into production? I am just a little baffled as if you did then you surely would have discovered that the Mavic would not pass its startup routine with them in place. Yet now you are bringing out the 'Cinema' version which can remain in place. So I guess my question is why did you not do extensive tests with the original filters and produce them from the same material and size as the Cinema ones? After all you state yourself that the Cinema ones are such due to better optics, the casing is irrelevant.
Yes we did test them out extensively. They were designed to be longer to act as a mini lens hood, however with all the great feedback we received on pilots wanting to leave them on, we are pulling the feature of the lens hood and will make the cinema series shallower, so pilots can leave them on.
-Jeff

Yes we did test them out extensively. They were designed to be longer to act as a mini lens hood, however with all the great feedback we received on pilots wanting to leave them on, we are pulling the feature of the lens hood and will make the cinema series shallower, so pilots can leave them on.
-Jeff

OK Cool! Just a shame you never advertised the "lens hood" as a selling feature, or maybe I just missed it. Also is it not bad practice to have a greater distance than necessary between the optics? I still think it is really bad practice to handle the gimbal when it is powered on. Maybe I am alone with this view though!

Reactions: Kilrah
Ordered last Wednesday and just got my shipping notice an hour ago. Thanks Jeff and team for the quick turnaround. Can't wait to test these out and will look to upgrade to the cinema series in the new year.

OK Cool! Just a shame you never advertised the "lens hood" as a selling feature, or maybe I just missed it. Also is it not bad practice to have a greater distance than necessary between the optics? I still think it is really bad practice to handle the gimbal when it is powered on. Maybe I am alone with this view though!
Hi Chippie,
The 0.75mm additional length does not effect optics, at the end of the day your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to handling your drone, so if you dont feel comfortable doing it then you shouldn't. But installed correctly they will have no long term effect on the gimbal. The CS versions are dropping shortly if you want to leave them on 100% of the time. We appreciate your thoughts,
-Jeff

Jeff, has pricing been established for the cinema series filters yet? I read through this thread and did not see it. (Sorry if it has already been posted and I just missed it).

Thanks!

I'm gonna wait for the cinema series as my Mavic is still yet to arrive...
Roughly when will the cinema series be released? And how much will they be?
Thanks!

Sent from downunder

Just received my set this morning. It only took 6 days from time of order to being on my doorstep! Considering I live in the lower south island in New Zealand, that is very impressive. If only I had my Mavic...

Reactions: PolarPro
I still think it is really bad practice to handle the gimbal when it is powered on. Maybe I am alone with this view though!

Not alone.. that's a deal breaker for me. I know my limitations. I will surely forget to take the filter off between batteries. Additionally, I also agree that it isn't a great idea to limit the gimbal while it is powered.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

All 6-Packs started shipping Thursday and I believe they will complete all 6-Pack orders by Monday.
Thank you for the support!
-Jeff
Got my shipping info this morning, should be here by the end of the week, just in time, thanks!

So what's the worst that will happen if (when) I leave the filter on between batteries?

Got my shipping info this morning, should be here by the end of the week, just in time, thanks!

So what's the worst that will happen if (when) I leave the filter on between batteries?

The Mavic will not initialize. You will have to power off, remove the filter, power on and then replace the filter. I would also be a little concerned about any strain it causes on the motors as it actually catches the top part of the gimbal itself but this only happens as part of the power on process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan