DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro ND filters colour cast?

Jeremy

Reactions
Is it just me or is anyone else getting colour cast when using the PolarPro ND filters? I understand it's normal to have colour cast when using ND filters but that on the ND16-PL filter seems a bit too much, and quite hard to color correct.

I heard this also. Not sure how the Cinema ones will perform but it has been confirmed that the Taco ones do not have this issue although Taco have not released the NDx-PL ones yet so only confirmed on the non PL version.

This is why they aren't something to be recommended to 'everyone' as colour correction is usually needed and that implies being familiar with relatively sophisticated editing software. It can be easy as using an eye-dropper tool on a white object in frame though.

I always use Color Finesse in After Effects to color correct the S-Log2 footages from my Sony cam, and it's very easy to get the perfect color, but the color cast of the footages shot with the PolarPro filters is just too trickly to correct, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrejs
I heard this also. Not sure how the Cinema ones will perform but it has been confirmed that the Taco ones do not have this issue although Taco have not released the NDx-PL ones yet so only confirmed on the non PL version.

How about the PGY filters? Do they have color cast issue?

Not seen are feedback on the PGY ones, Taco have a very good reputation going back quite a while. Go for the Taco MC (Multi Coated) ones.

From personal and pretty much everyone else's (what I have read on forums etc.) experience, yes! :)

Just realise that the new Cinema series from PolarPro is multi-coat, would it have better optics and less color cast than the previous one?

Not seen are feedback on the PGY ones, Taco have a very good reputation going back quite a while. Go for the Taco MC (Multi Coated) ones.
I have the pgy ones. I'll post some up tomorrow.

Just realise that the new Cinema series from PolarPro is multi-coat, would it have better optics and less color cast than the previous one?
Hi Jeremy,
The Cinema Series filters are higher quality glass and multi-coated, but neither should color cast.
Shoot us an email for the ND-16/PL replacement, they should not have any color cast.

Its possible that one is defective.

Jeff

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

I am noticing a significant cyan and magenta color cast in the blues of my footage and I'm hoping somebody can help me identify what variable is causing it.

The screenshots below were all filmed 1080p @ 24 fps in D-Log color space, using a PolarPro ND-16.

Footage is imported into Premiere and the 'Mavic Pro D-Log to sRGB Enhanced LUT' is applied. Then some basic adjustments have been made, mostly adjusting black point and attempting to de-saturate the cyan and magenta casts that are bothering me.

Is it the LUT that is causing these pesky, ultra-saturated colors? Meaning, should I just learn how to properly grade this footage? Obviously, this is a given, but I want to be able to rule out the ND filter as a cause for the color cast that is bothering me.Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.33.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.34.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.35.34 PM.png

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

I am noticing a significant cyan and magenta color cast in the blues of my footage and I'm hoping somebody can help me identify what variable is causing it.

The screenshots below were all filmed 1080p @ 24 fps in D-Log color space, using a PolarPro ND-16.

Footage is imported into Premiere and the 'Mavic Pro D-Log to sRGB Enhanced LUT' is applied. Then some basic adjustments have been made, mostly adjusting black point and attempting to de-saturate the cyan and magenta casts that are bothering me.

Is it the LUT that is causing these pesky, ultra-saturated colors? Meaning, should I just learn how to properly grade this footage? Obviously, this is a given, but I want to be able to rule out the ND filter as a cause for the color cast that is bothering me.

Something looks off, either the mavic camera or the filter is causing some issues. If you want to shoot me an email I can fire you out an ND16 that I verify on our cameras here. [email protected]

-Jeff

Something looks off, either the mavic camera or the filter is causing some issues. If you want to shoot me an email I can fire you out an ND16 that I verify on our cameras here. [email protected]

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, sending an email now. I'll post results here for anyone who might be following.

I have the PGY ND32. No color cast issue at all. And I'm super aware of this. If there was one I'd notice it.
I film in dlog -1-3-3 and use the free LUT from Ground Control' website "dlog-1-3-3 to rec709" in Premiere, then usually hit 'Auto' exposure in the Lumetri panel under the basic section, then tweet from there. Works really well. You can also add the 'fast color corrector' effect with its eye dropper if you want to make sure your white is spot on after all that. It usually already is perfect though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan