DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[POLL] Is a Phantom 5 in your future?

Will you consider buying a Phantom 5?

• Price, specs, and features do not matter, I have absolutely NO INTEREST in buying a Phantom 5.

• If price is within reason and the specs/features fit my needs, I will buy a P5 and sell my Mavic.

• If price is within reason and the specs/features fit my needs, I will buy a P5 and keep my Mavic.

Results are only viewable after voting.

floyd

Reactions
I started my drone aerial photography hobby with the Mavic I, sold it for the Phantom 4 Advanced, then sold that for the Mavic 2 Pro. Portability is critical to me, but still image is almost as critical. So now I hear the Phantom 5 is in the (near?) future. And, of course, there is a plethora of prognostications related to features and specs the Phantom 5 will have. A couple specs that caught my attention were a 20mp camera and retractible landing gear, which would make the Phantom 5 more portable.

Now I'm wondering, other than cost, what will it to tip the scale to selling the Mavic 2 Pro and getting the Phantom 5? I'm guessing there are other Mavic 2 Pro owners who might be thinking/considering the same change/purchase.

What would it take feature/spec-wise, if anything, to buy a Phantom 5 and sell (or keep) your Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom?

Reactions: Inspirephil
I have zero interest in another upgraded Phantom. The M2 blows the Phantom series away in every respect. If there were to be a P5, and it had retracts (no word on that, and who needs it anyway) and upgraded camera (a bayonet style interchangeable lens would be nice) the Mavic 2 is the best drone DJI makes for prosumer pilots.

I have zero interest in another upgraded Phantom. The M2 blows the Phantom series away in every respect. If there were to be a P5, and it had retracts (no word on that, and who needs it anyway) and upgraded camera (a bayonet style interchangeable lens would be nice) the Mavic 2 is the best drone DJI makes for prosumer pilots.
I second that! The M2P, M2Z, M2E, M2ED are DJI’s best portable solution right now with in our industry. Good stuff!

So now I hear the Phantom 5 is in the (near?) future.
I'm not sure where you are hearing that the P5 is near future?
People are always guessing that but there are no clues from authoritative sources or even credible rumours.
And, of course, there is a plethora of prognostications related to features and specs the Phantom 5 will have. A couple specs that caught my attention were a 20mp camera and retractible landing gear, which would make the Phantom 5 more portable.
The suggestion of a 20MP camera caught your attention?
The P4 pro has had a 20 MP camera for more than two years now.
There have been photos of probable prototype Phantom 5s around for a year now but no hint of retractable gear.
That's just one of the many wishlist guesses that get thrown around.

Apparently you don't understand what a question mark means and/or the context in which it was used, e.g. "(near?)"

Apparently you don't understand what a question mark means and/or the context in which it was used, e.g. "(near?)"
You didn't notice the actual information I gave you in post #5.
How about spelling out in which future you've heard rumours of a P5 being released?
If they ever release anything like the prototypes that have been seen, I'll order one as soon as it's announced and I'd appreciate any information that's available.

Last edited:
How bout we don't get arguminitive in this guys.
Thanks and carry on .:)

After already owning one of the phantom series (P4) I have no desire in owning another. The size and need for its own case and carrying equipment versus the portability and always having my M2 with me and all my other gear in one case is the deciding factor for me

Reactions: Inspirephil
I think my next drone will be a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, not really interested in the P5 right now.

Reactions: Former Member
When I began flying drones I purchased the DJI Phantom 3 Standard just to learn the basics of flying and for that reason it served its purpose. It’s an inexpensive way to learn how to fly but after learning how I quickly became tired of the poor (720p) resolution and bought myself the Inspire 2 which is an awesome drone but the lack of portability made me buy the M2P which is the best of both worlds (great camera and great portability).
Don’t get me wrong I still love flying my Inspire 2 because of the ability to change lenses and the fact that I can rotate the gimbal while hovering in place. That alone is a biggie for me! :) as it allows me to get awesome stills and videos without having to yaw the drone itself.
But for sheer portability purposes (camping, hiking to inaccessible places) the Mavic 2 Pro is going to be my go to drone. If I am somewhere close to my vehicle I’ll probably still use my Inspire 2 but I’ll definitely be using the M2P more and more now than before.
And as always “Happy and Safe Flying” to all my fellow pilots!! ;)

Reactions: SLODrone805
When I had the original Mavic I did spend a long time considering the Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced to get the 1in sensor but ultimately I decided I just wouldn't use it due to the size. The Mavic's size means not only can I easily carry it with me when out walking or cycling but I can also carry an DSLR and a couple of lenses as well without really even noticing it.

Even if the Phantom 5 had an APS-C sensor I wouldn't consider it as it's just too bit and heavy for my usage.

I upgraded from a Mavic Pro to a Phantom 4 Pro, and then ordered the Mavic 2 Pro. I do find myself shooting with the M2P more often but there are times when prefer the P4P. Sure I have to do more work in Post production since I shoot everything in D Log on the P4P but I think there are times when I get better results with it vs the M2P. Don't get me wrong, the M2P is a beast and takes incredible photos especially Hyperlight. Although it is troubling to me why DJI limits Hyperlight to jpeg only. If I were just starting out flying UAS I would definitely go with the M2P and build on that. BTW, I haven't shot with the Mavic Pro in at least 3 months.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw