DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Presidential No Fly Zone

Raven Mavic

Reactions
After arriving home from work today, I decided to take the Mavic out for a simple flight around the neighborhood to keep my skills up. It doesn't hurt that it's been a little warmer than usual. I got everything started when I looked on my screen and it said you cannot fly. Specifically it said that I was in a no-fly zone. I have flown through my neighborhood countless times and never had an issue. So I looked at my drone flying map app and it said that I was in a temporary no-fly zone due to "VIP travel." I think it's a pretty safe assumption since I'm not that far from the DC area that it might be about tomorrow's inauguration. I just found this fascinating but more importantly, it made me wonder what would happen if I had been flying when they posted the no-fly zone. Would my Mavic completely just crash to the ground where-ever it was when they impose this, or would it do a return flight home automatically? It kind of makes me nervous that at any point in time they could post such a thing and if I'm flying over water I'm sunk. Anyone know what would happen when they "FAA" post a temporary no fly zone warning?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I would hope the mavic is programmed to return to home immediately, and not simply drop out of the sky. Imagine the palava if it came out that someone got smacked with a drone falling from the sky because of the actions of a Government intervention, esepcially the FAA or POTUS.

Bah! He was here in Hawaii and I still flew mine.. The whole island of Oahu was restricted. He was on the other side of the island over a couple of mountain ranges and I can't fly my drone?! Yeah right!

Sent from my SM-N920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: chrisdamron
@Raven Mavic - I've seen other posts that claim if you fly into a restricted zone, it will auto-land - right where it is, even if that's in the middle of a busy road. I can't remember if I saw that here or over at Phantompilots...

On an aside - still liking your Mini 0806 power-down timer/relay ;) No, I'm not stalking you :)

@Raven Mavic - I've seen other posts that claim if you fly into a restricted zone, it will auto-land - right where it is, even if that's in the middle of a busy road. I can't remember if I saw that here or over at Phantompilots...

On an aside - still liking your Mini 0806 power-down timer/relay ;) No, I'm not stalking you :)

Actually I think if you fly into a restricted zone it stops and won't go any further. I do believe that flight restrictions don't update during the flight and only in between flights. So basically you can turn it around and fly away but it won't let you enter the zone.

Actually I think if you fly into a restricted zone it stops and won't go any further. I do believe that flight restrictions don't update during the flight and only in between flights. So basically you can turn it around and fly away but it won't let you enter the zone.

mannnn, I hope your right on that one !

The chances flying right into a temporary NFZ while it was being updated within the app seems unlikely, but possible. It would be interesting to learn what happens to the Mavic if posted before entering the zone or after one has flown into the zone and then the update happens.

Reactions: Drone Master
This is the thread over a PP that I was referring to. The guy was flying using waypoints, but still, when it hit the NFZ, it just put down. Six full pages of discussions. It may not apply to the MP, but it's an interesting read nonetheless (from what I remember)...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan