DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller check request

yacoob

Reactions
Scored a scrape against a stone wall during landing - tight space, updraft from the drone wobbled it into a wall. The propellers got warped a bit at the ends:

1617580287418.png

I've replaced them just in case - but I don't really know whether this was warranted. I can check how does the drone fly with them on, but I wonder if there's some failure mode that would manifest only at specific circumstances, with ends warped like that?

Thanks!

Reactions: Howard70
I had a hairline split at the edge of one of mine... at $11 or so a set, I'd rather swap 'em and know I did my best to keep a $800 drone in the sky. From the looks of them, might not make a difference, but at high RPM, any damage could manifest as catastrophic at some point...

I've replaced mine when they had similar damage. As SabrToothSqrl suggests, replacement seems like cheap insurance.

Howard

Borderline in my opinion. If it were me I'd take a manicurist's emery board available from the local pharmacy (in the US at least, I don't know about Ireland) and touch them up under a lighted magnifying glass until they were all reduced to (approximately) the same profile.

Then test them out on the ground and take it for short flights. No guarantees given or implied, that's just what I would do.

Any kind of damage to the blades may seem minor and you may not see any affects right away but you are potentially putting stress on the motors by excess vibrations. Would you want to fly in a helicopter or plane if you saw the same type of damage on the props?
Cheers,
Rex

When it comes to drones, one of the natural forces that can very much ruin a fun day of flying is gravity, and this is what takes over when there is a serious failure of some sort, typically involving a collision or a component failure such as a battery or one or more of the propellers. The best way to avoid this possible outcome is to never place the copter in a situation where a collision is possible, and never fly with a compromised battery or propellor(s). Birds are typically the one unpredictable thing we have no real control over, but when it comes to the things we do have control of, we should not settle for anything other than fully serviceable equipment.

So, my advice is toss the damaged props...

Reactions: rxlawdude
OK, guys, I take back the emery board idea, just ditch the props. You're dead right, it's not worth the risk.

Would you want to fly in a helicopter or plane if you saw the same type of damage on the props?
No. But I have, once. It was in the Solomon Islands. I didn't notice until we were climbing out of Honiara heading for Uepi with a lot of scuba gear in the hold. It was a tad disconcerting looking out the window watching loose rivets rotating in the engine nacelle panels due to the vibration. Or maybe that was normal for a BN-2 Islander! We got there OK and I was even more glad than usual to be back on the ground.

OK, guys, I take back the emery board idea, just ditch the props. You're dead right, it's not worth the risk.

No. But I have, once. It was in the Solomon Islands. I didn't notice until we were climbing out of Honiara heading for Uepi with a lot of scuba gear in the hold. It was a tad disconcerting looking out the window watching loose rivets rotating in the engine nacelle panels due to the vibration. Or maybe that was normal for a BN-2 Islander! We got there OK and I was even more glad than usual to be back on the ground.
I bet you tightened up your seatbelt even a bit more after seeing the rattling rivets?
I’m glad you didn’t need to don on your scuba gear from a crashed and sinking plane somewhere between the islands.

Reactions: rehkram
I’m glad you didn’t need to don on your scuba gear from a crashed and sinking plane somewhere between the islands.
It's really spooky that you said that. I can confirm that it did go through my mind at the time. The gear was in the hold though, what are the chances?

It also occurred to my dive travel companions, as I found out later with much hilarity when we discussed it over a beer or three on the ground. Good times!

Reactions: Rex Peters
I've replaced mine after merely getting the drone stuck in some low-hanging branches and retrieving by hand. There was some minor scraping on the edges and they sounded a bit off after... These are consumables, the drone is not, I'd hate to find out mid-flight it very slightly compromised them somewhere and a bit of propeller breaks off 400ft up (granted, this can happen anyway, I just don't want to tempt fate.)

Reactions: sharkface
If your hit scrape or think there might have been some damage replace them it’s not worth it..

you don't know the damage it really does . I bought mine used. the props looked like hell. I decided I wanted to try it out. it didn't look damaged in the center hub, but it soon fell apart after low speed strike at idle . just shattered the hub. I was lucky it did not take off and fail! I only paid 225.00 for it, but when propellers are 8 for 8.99 on ebay? I bought a few ! props are cheap ! props flying into eyes are expensive...

Orthodox Jews can only eat meat (or fowl) that have been slaughtered in a specific manner. This is done by one qualified to do so, and entails the use of a special knife dedicated to this purpose. The sharpness of the knife is tested as follows: the thin edge of a thumbnail is run across the cutting edge of the knife’s blade. The slightest indentation is easily detected, thus rendering the knife invalid.

That is the test I employ on my propeller blades.

• Haha
Orthodox Jews can only eat meat (or fowl) that have been slaughtered in a specific manner. This is done by one qualified to do so, and entails the use of a special knife dedicated to this purpose. The sharpness of the knife is tested as follows: the thin edge of a thumbnail is run across the cutting edge of the knife’s blade. The slightest indentation is easily detected, thus rendering the knife invalid.

That is the test I employ on my propeller blades.
..then let them eat cupcakes! ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54