DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Fly Off

Mavmatic

Reactions
This may be a dumb question. I almost feel regretful for asking.
If a (1) propeller flew off the Mavic, could it compensate to land safely?
Please, no derogatory answers.
My vote is no, it'll crash.
Thanks boys and girl.

It'll drop like a rock.

Reactions: Thomas B
Correct - it'll crash. I have heard there's such a thing as an algorithm for keeping a quadcopter airborne on 3 props, but I think it's just experimental and I'm not aware of any production quad that can do that.

Kool. Thanks for the replies. I would think there will be some way to control the crash. I'll practice that in the simulator!!!!!

There will be no way to control the crash if that does occur. Your time would be better spent doing a proper pre-flight check to ensure the props are not damaged and are installed properly.

not sure how you would simulate this, but as msinger says, no recovery from this

There will be no way to control the crash if that does occur. Your time would be better spent doing a proper pre-flight check to ensure the props are not damaged and are installed properly.

I agree with your preflight intensity and check list usage.
I did not imply or insinuate that my preflights are nothing less than methodical.
My query was/is hypothetical.

The Mavic will drop like a rock. There is a university that created an algorithm that allows a quad to remain stable after loss of a prop.

3264a9d20877893d7e645605288b8f87.jpg

This may be a dumb question. I almost feel regretful for asking.
If a (1) propeller flew off the Mavic, could it compensate to land safely?
Please, no derogatory answers.
My vote is no, it'll crash.
Thanks boys and girl.
If the prop comes off in flight it's hitting the ground.

Sadly the laws of physics won't allow thay

Physics will, just not programmed into the Mavic. There is an amazing TED talk on machine athleticism where some researchers use cognitive computing to have the computers develop their own algorithms for flight, learning as they fly and this is one of the scenarios, unfortunately the Mavic doesn't have this particular superpower among all it's others.

Jump to 6:30 for the three prop quad flight.

PS this is one of my all time favourite TED talks.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
Mine just dropped to the ground, motors off before it hit. I tested the pro after firmware update and fortunately it was only just above the grass when it flew off. Got no idea where it went though?

In no possible way would it ever land safely.
Depends on your definition of safely. If safely might be accepted to include controlled descent at a desired location (i.e. PIC can manoeuvre the quad to a suitable landing site) this is safe for persons and property on the ground. Highly preferable to an uncontrolled descent. The only real catch is you would need VLOS as the FPV would be useless with the constant yaw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21