DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller NOT seated flush (defect?)

Drorona

Reactions
Hi,

First time poster/drone buyer. Last week got a Mini and everything is fine aside from the clipping sound it makes when making an altitude adjustment or direction change.
I noticed it pretty early and decided to inspect further.

Seems one of the propeller screws won't sit flush.
I have tried replacing both the propeller and the screw using parts from the Fly More bundle.
Each new screw and (proper) propeller sits on an angle as if there is a defect with the THREADING.

Included some pictures.
Also, in one of the pictures there are some black marks on the chassis no doubt caused from the propeller.

I just bought this thing and I don't want to use it if it's unsafe.
Seems to work fine though.
But I don't want to take it super high or far because of this.
While I'm figuring this issue out I went and ordered a Mini 2 so I can at least use a drone in the meantime.

Note: no it has not been crashed. I've been very cautious with it as I'm a new pilot.

I tried to make a video of it but it's raining outside and indoors isn't ideal (for me lol)

Attachments

• 20201223_122556.jpg
    20201223_122556.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20201223_122605.jpg
    20201223_122605.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
  • 20201223_122620.jpg
    20201223_122620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20201223_122635.jpg
    20201223_122635.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
Was this new or second hand?
Given the size of the screws, THEY ARE TINY and their threads EVEN SMALLER, the risk of cross threading scares the heck out of me. I am VERY careful fitting these screws and very much rely on feel. Unfortunately "feel" is subjective and experience related and the thread locking compund 'complicates' judgement "by feel" as it doesn't necessarily hinder screwing the screws in in the same place but varies from screw to screw.
If second hand it is possible the previous owner cross threaded one,
The tilt worries me too, even it the screw were aligned correctly but not fully home the base of the blade, and the screw's top, should be parallel to the motor face. They do not look to be so.
I would not fly it like that, as mentioned above the screws threads are tiny and it it likely there is very little holding that screw, and therefore the blade, in place.
DO NOT be tempted to use Mini 2 blades OR their screws, the threads differ as do, I believe, the pivot hubs.
If you have good eyes and or a good magnifier, have a look at the female threads in the motor and compare them to problem-free mounting points.
If the female threads look damaged and this is new I would be inclined to return it.
If it is only the male thread that appears damaged then I might try another screw.
If this is second hand then your options depend on how and via what medium it was sold. If ebay and sold as new or used, those categories, in the UK, mean it should not have such 'damage' (cross threading) and I for one, being a UK resident, would be asking for a "not as described" return, I do not know how ebay Canada works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this new or second hand?
New from Best Buy in person.
They didn't offer any kind of warranty when I asked and I got the impression that the store didn't want to deal with drones.
However it IS Best Buy and they accept pretty much any return.

In that case, especially if it is a walk in with a defective item and walk out with a replacement arrangement then I would most likely take that route

In that case, especially if it is a walk in with a defective item and walk out with a replacement arrangement then I would most likely take that route

I'm worried that they'll find a reason to not accept it.
It's obviously a manufacturer error and not that it was crashed by the customer so I have that going for me,.
Still buying the Mini 2 from Amazon though which arrives Monday and I'll try to deal with Best Buy after Christmas.

Also, I'm worried they may say I can't return a drone that has been registered or something.
I don't recall registering it officially but I assume it auto-registers somehow when you first use it.
Hoping it's not tied to me and can still be returned.
Thanks for everybody's input.

Also, I'm worried they may say I can't return a drone that has been registered or something.
I don't recall registering it officially but I assume it auto-registers somehow when you first use it.
Hoping it's not tied to me and can still be returned.
Thanks for everybody's input.
You registered it if your flying it. However it isn't tied to you only to your email and password you set up with DJI. However, that is all nill when you return it anyway as it will go back to DJI or perhaps they will discount sell it in a bundle/pallet. The next person who "might" fly it would have to register it with DJI and thus your clear then...otherwise DJI will zero the thing anyway if they refurb it. I would just take it back if possible as soon as you can to be free from it and get the new one as after the holidays, they may be in short stock of most things and then you might run into the whole refund lines. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Drorona
@Drorona unfortunately the screws are not properly aligned in the screw holes ,its one of the trickiest things to do on the mini drones, you need to do one prop at a time ,undo the screw then without the prop carefully turn the screw anti clock wise till you feel the thread locate, then turn it clockwise and make sure it goes in about half the thread depth, check it is square with the motor then carefully remove it, put it in the prop and then repeat what you just did ,and tighten it down till it can go no further ,only use the small driver that comes with the drone,and if you have crossed the thread it will be very hard to get it to tighten down,

Sorry OMM but I would disagree about trying it without the blade. For my size fingers I would find it very difficult to simultaneously align the bare screw and allow access to its head for the screwdriver. With the screw inserted into the blade hud I can holding either the blade itself or the hub, which gives access for the screwdriver and I can feel the hub sit/rock square on the motor. The hub then keeps the screw perpendicular to the motor's face.
The difficulty with this approach is that it is easy for the hub to be off to 'one side' of the screw hole and then of course the screw threads can not engage.
The above aside I can't help but think the less attempted insertions the better. Speaking generally and not specifically about the OP's drone, trying to fit these screws is dicey enough as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry OMM but I would disagree about trying it without the blade. For my size fingers I would find it very difficult to simultaneously align the bare screw and allow access to its head for the screwdriver. With the screw inserted into the blade hud I can holding either the blade itself or the hub, which gives access for the screwdriver and I can feel the hub sit/rock square on the motor. The hub then keeps the screw perpendicular to the motor's face.
The difficulty with this approach is that it is easy for the hub to be off to 'one side' of the screw hole and then of course the screw threads can not engage.
The above aside I can't help but think the less attempted insertions the better. Speaking generally and not specifically about the OP's drone, trying to fit these screws is dicey enough as it is.
well all i can say is if you use the driver that comes with the drone, then in my case the screw was a nice tight fit to the driver,and held it perfectly for finding the screw hole it is then possible to turn it a couple of turns into the screw hole this serves two purposes it cleans a little of the thread lock from the screw and its easy to tell if it has gone in straight,i have used this method on my MM and changed all the blades with no issues, and also i have done this method on many occasions when i have been building RC model cars ,and off roaders, using lots of small fine threaded screws and nuts and bolts that are very easy to cross thread, it does not mean my way is best ,i was just passing on my experience and knowledge, from many years of model making ,whether or not anyone gives it a go is up to them

Hi,

First time poster/drone buyer. Last week got a Mini and everything is fine aside from the clipping sound it makes when making an altitude adjustment or direction change.
I noticed it pretty early and decided to inspect further.

Seems one of the propeller screws won't sit flush.
I have tried replacing both the propeller and the screw using parts from the Fly More bundle.
Each new screw and (proper) propeller sits on an angle as if there is a defect with the THREADING.

Included some pictures.
Also, in one of the pictures there are some black marks on the chassis no doubt caused from the propeller.

I just bought this thing and I don't want to use it if it's unsafe.
Seems to work fine though.
But I don't want to take it super high or far because of this.
While I'm figuring this issue out I went and ordered a Mini 2 so I can at least use a drone in the meantime.

Note: no it has not been crashed. I've been very cautious with it as I'm a new pilot.

I tried to make a video of it but it's raining outside and indoors isn't ideal (for me lol)

Just stand in the 2 mile long return line the day after Christmas [emoji319] you will just blend in with everyone else.....if they ask tell them it was a gift and you’re not happy with it... give them as less info as possible... when returning a big ticket item sometime less is more....

@Drorona unfortunately the screws are not properly aligned in the screw holes ,its one of the trickiest things to do on the mini drones, you need to do one prop at a time ,undo the screw then without the prop carefully turn the screw anti clock wise till you feel the thread locate, then turn it clockwise and make sure it goes in about half the thread depth, check it is square with the motor then carefully remove it, put it in the prop and then repeat what you just did ,and tighten it down till it can go no further ,only use the small driver that comes with the drone,and if you have crossed the thread it will be very hard to get it to tighten down,

Just to be clear, it came out of the box like that. I didn't replace the propeller incorrectly.
When I DID try to replace it, it seated exactly the same - incorrectly.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Drorona Just to be clear, it came out of the box like that. I didn't replace the propeller incorrectly.
When I DID try to replace it, it seated exactly the same - incorrectly.
if that is the case it should defo go back ,just one question did it have the cellophane wrapper on the outer box when you purchased it ,if not then it had probably been returned by someone else

@Drorona just take it back to the BestBuy. Get a new one.

I apologize to everybody for my worrisome approach to this situation. Figured I was stuck with it.

Best Buy dot CA says "Drones over $200 have 30 days return policy. Opened = 15% restock fee." (roughly $80 maybe)
I had read the other day on the very same site that drones cannot be returned opened but I most likely didn't read it thoroughly.

Now all I have to worry about are the lineups!!

if that is the case it should defo go back ,just one question did it have the cellophane wrapper on the outer box when you purchased it ,if not then it had probably been returned by someone else

I honestly cannot remember. The yellow/black stickers were on the propellers though. Everything was wrapped and brand new packaging inside.
I recall the circular sticker in the middle of the packaging holding the top closed. Cellophane though I'm not sure.

Either way it's going back!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark