DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Property Photography

Jtristram

Reactions
Hello, we are a real estate company, in the united kingdom, who use drones for photography. We have recently taken front and rear shots of a property (flying above our vendors land). unfortuantely while capturing some nice shots of our house for sale, the next door neighbors garden was captured in the picture slightly, although it is clear the focus of the picture used was of our garden and not the neighbors. We have received complaints from the neighbors who have also got the police involved. However, I have asked the police where we stand with these types of images, as the neighbors are claiming its a breach of their privacy which I appreciate but can someone confirm that we are not allowed to capture a neighbors garden in the photos? Do other people blurr out the neighbors gardens on their images? I can just go onto google maps and zoom into the neighbors garden from satellite view. any advice is welcome.

Not an attorney, but I suspect there is no legal basis for privacy. However, what I think is much more important is neighborly relations. Setting up bad neighbor relations, especially for a property you don't own and occupy is not a good idea. In the end you can walk away from the property; the current owner and potential owner will need to live with the bad neighbor relations you set up.

Reactions: MS Coast
Is there anything to stop you editing the photos to mask, remove or blur the neighbour's property?
How different is the view in the drone's photos when compared to those that could be taken with a hand held camera.
Is there anything in the photos that could be regarded as private and NOT found in Google's or Bing's aerial/satellite imagery?
All that said if the neighbour would be satisfied with you blurring etc. their property then I'd suggest it is worth doing just to reduce tension etc..

Reactions: MS Coast
appreciate both those comments and we have removed showing the drone images in light of our reputation. but Im just seeking the legal position on it. so we know to be conscious on the next shoot for the next property.

Some of the answers sound like their referring to US rules. The OP is in the UK. He should check with UAV groups in the UK, or at least check with the UK's drone regulations, and surveillance/privacy laws in the UK. I could give my beliefs but then I know nothing about what is legal are not in the UK. Wish the OP the best of luck as I know it can be frustrating.

appreciate both those comments and we have removed showing the drone images in light of our reputation. but Im just seeking the legal position on it. so we know to be conscious on the next shoot for the next property.
In that case would asking a solicitor be your best bet?

It wouldn’t hurt to get a property release agreement with the neighbors, I know it’ll take more time and expense, but it may be worth it. I like the idea of blurring the area just beyond the property lines, that actually would be a good way of showing where someone’s property ends.

This is a rather sorry situation, You clearly got involved in a neighbor dispute, and they started going after you as well. You could print a bunch of those Google Earth photos of their yard and spread them around the neighborhood…