DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pushing limits ?

As a Captain on corporate jets for 25 years and not that long into drones, now with an Air 3 , rather than relying more and more on automatics I find I hand fly nearly all the time and seem to be switching off obstacle avoidance more and more !
This is because my flights are becoming more and more challenging where I need complete control !
I also get very close or use trees to frame pictures meaning I sometimes back the drone into foliage gaps
But main theme is getting more and more dramatic scenes
Do others do this or is it switching on all the whistles and bells ?
I never have obstacle avoidance on for the very reasons you stated. Nothing worse than getting the shot of a lifetime only to have the drone swerve last second.

I’ve also found it somewhat easier to fly backwards through the more difficult obstacles and then reverse the footage in post.

Reactions: dozzn
I use OA when there is a high risk of flying into a client's building or property. Otherwise, it is off.

This is one ! Note the wires ! Had a choice of lifting drone higher and interrupting the level flight or making a judgement to clear them. prob by 3 feet ! I use OC and WP but find less and less preferring instant response

Reactions: dozzn
I have to admit , call it PTSW when I see wires my heart rate goes way up. Thus those sensors are just not good enough to count on and have to rely on my controller, Thats Hang man sky right there.

Just getting thru them is a Victory Lap

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain.

Reactions: Pacefast
My take: OA is a tool. Like RTH, or a hammer.

Hammers are great for pounding nails. Not so good for turning bolts.

I have OA enabled when it's useful. Like when using that other tool, Focus Track. I don't use it a lot, but when I do OA is a valuable, indispensable feature.

When just flying around shooting video or taking pictures "freehand", like others I turn it off because it interferes with direct control and my own human-derived Obstacle Avoidance.

Known also as APAS, it's a feature that is good "training wheels" for the first time new pilot, but should be disabled after a noob gets their basic "sea legs" (air wings?) so they don't develop bad flight habits learning to control around APAS.

I rarely fly with OA on but I absolutely use it at times. I typically land on the hood of my car so OA is off for that and normally off unless I have some unusual need for it.
doesn't the metal car hood mess with the drone compass?

I have to admit , call it PTSW when I see wires my heart rate goes way up. Thus those sensors are just not good enough to count on and have to rely on my controller, Thats Hang man sky right there.

Just getting thru them is a Victory Lap

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain.
Yes I doubt the OA would detect those wires and can lead to a false sense of security ! Reminds me of the Cirrus airaft with tons of pilot aids and a ballistic chute system
Accident rates went up as pilots flew out of their ability relying on the automatics and security the ballistic chute lowering the whole aircraft to the ground gave
Hello to a fellow corporate pilot. I flew corporate from 1974 to 1988. I fly my drones mostly with OA on as I live in NW Montana in the mountains and lots of towering trees. The exception is when I am flying the drone from my boat.
Hi great to see I sm not the only one into
drones 😎 I know 3 EasyJet Captains running drones ! What did you fly ? Myself many twin pistons and then C500 550 560
and CJs

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

The metal roof itself is often aluminum and presents no problems. But motors for operable sunroofs and other ferrous metals can cause problems.

I land on the roof of the Subaru Outback occasionally, but never take off from it unless I hold the drone in my hand during startup. I always confirm the drone's heading on the map before taking off.

The metal roof itself is often aluminum and presents no problems. But motors for operable sunroofs and other ferrous metals can cause problems.

I land on the roof of the Subaru Outback occasionally, but never take off from it unless I hold the drone in my hand during startup. I always confirm the drone's heading on the map before taking off.
I'm sorry but he said the hood not the roof and most hoods are sheet metal. so let him answer the ? thank you.

I've landed on the steel hood of more than one car and a minivan roof or two more times than I can remember.

I don't think the FC is paying any attention to the compass that last few feet of landing. Opinion based on experience, not a directly known fact.

I've landed on the steel hood of more than one car and a minivan roof or two more times than I can remember.

I don't think the FC is paying any attention to the compass that last few feet of landing. Opinion based on experience, not a directly known fact.
I take off and land on the hood of my Silverado and my friend Toyota Tundra. Never a problem.

I take off and land on the hood of my Silverado and my friend Toyota Tundra. Never a problem.
So is your hood steel or Alum . and if steel I wonder why it doesn't mess with the compass. I've read so many post were crashes happened because the pilot took off close to metal.

Nice video. I don't see anything in the video that would of triggered a OA response.

So is your hood steel or Alum . and if steel I wonder why it doesn't mess with the compass. I've read so many post were crashes happened because the pilot took off close to metal.

You can avoid problems by checking the orientation of the drone symbol on the map view before taking off. If the symbol doesn't point the same way that the drone is pointing, shut the drone down and restart in another location without ferrous metal.

Takeoff and landing are two very different processes.

When landing the drone is primarily looking at the gyro, VPS cameras, and downward IR ranging sensor. I don't think it cares what the compass is reading that last 3 feet.

I keep hearing that too but I simply have never had a problem and my hood is steel as well as my friends and we both have 5 or more DJI drones that we take off and land on the hoods of our trucks regularly. Never an issue.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13