DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Queen Mary - Long Beach

GooniesNeverDie

Reactions
So took off for a little flight, far away from the boat. Immediately I get approached by a security guy saying the Queen Mary and the dock is a "NFZ". I showed that it wasn't as far as I could tell. He said Homeland security says it is and to shut it down.

Does anyone know?

The Queen Mary - Long Beach California?

Was his chest puffed up? Sounds like you ran into a MallCop who claims everything in his purview is protected by Homeland Security.

Reactions: dewster
So took off for a little flight, far away from the boat. Immediately I get approached by a security guy saying the Queen Mary and the dock is a "NFZ". I showed that it wasn't as far as I could tell. He said Homeland security says it is and to shut it down.

Does anyone know?

The Queen Mary - Long Beach California?

The area surrounding the Queen Mary is not a NFZ per se, but the area does contain a number of advisories due to local heliports and the Long Beach Airport...which is class D airspace. Your security guard was wrong in his claim that the Queen Mary is off limits due to "Homeland Security". I can find no such restrictions. It may be a NFZ due to local restrictions, but none exist from Homeland Security.

IMG_0290.jpg According to the GIS data from the FAA the QM is juuuuuuuust outside the Class D for the Long Beach airport. And when I say juuuuuuuuust outside, I mean like 120 feet. The north side of the jetty around it is within the Class D. In the map above the green is Class D.

The direct straight line distance from the center of the QM to the close end of the nearest runway at the Long Beach Airport is 4.74 miles. This puts it INSIDE the 5 mile radius boundary.

6-7-2017 10-03-10 PM.jpg

Thanks guys. I checked all my sites and apps and couldn't find a NFZ. I did fly around the Queen and took some video.

Later I went a ways down and filmed the bridge.

I got no warnings other that Class D space.

I love the Queen Mary. I've been all threw the ship before security was on board. I work for a major telecom company so I had full access to all areas. Thanks to all who posted this information. I want to orbit the ship and get some footage before it's sold or scrapped in the future. China was offering to buy it and the city of Long Beach saved it.

Reactions: harryb
Thanks guys. I checked all my sites and apps and couldn't find a NFZ. I did fly around the Queen and took some video.

Later I went a ways down and filmed the bridge.

I got no warnings other that Class D space.
So when you say you got a warning about class D do you mean it just said that the class D was nearby or did it say you were within it?

I love the Queen Mary. I've been all threw the ship before security was on board. I work for a major telecom company so I had full access to all areas. Thanks to all who posted this information. I want to orbit the ship and get some footage before it's sold or scrapped in the future. China was offering to buy it and the city of Long Beach saved it.
About a million years ago (seems like it anyway) I worked for Nortel. Back then the phone system was a Nortel so all we had to do was show our company ID and had full access, was pretty cool.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d