DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about flying and VLOS..

Kmccb

Reactions
I got my drone on Monday but have yet to even fly it.. Hoping to go today.. I had a question about LOS though.. Everyone says to make sure you have LOS to avoid any potential issues..

Question on that.. Would flying the drone in a normal neighborhood, without LOS, have a potential to lose connectivity? Say there's not even any trees, and you are just flying around the neighborhood around 150'.. Is that safe to do?

Thanks

Everyone says to make sure you have LOS to avoid any potential issues
That's great advice. There should never be any obstacles between the remote controller and Mavic. When the remote controller signal is blocked, RTH will be automatically initiated.

Question on that.. Would flying the drone in a normal neighborhood, without LOS, have a potential to lose connectivity? Say there's not even any trees, and you are just flying around the neighborhood around 150'.. Is that safe to do?

I'm guessing you already know the answer :)

Flying out of LoS - not safe...
Flying around the neighborhood - not safe...

Do people do it anyway? - yes, are they 'safe' .. no

You just need to decide if you are going to fly safe or fly where you want regardless...

I know what I do, I fly safe.

You decide what you will do...

Reactions: Kmccb
From a safety perspective, it's obviously less safe than being able to see it, but nowhere near being stupidly dangerous.

From a connectivity perspective, it should be fine at least out to 1500ft away, barring any excessive wifi interference from other homes.

From a common sense perspective, keep it away from people and others property, and don't hover over others land else they'll think you're snooping. Otherwise, there should be no problems.

As for me personally, yes, I do just that to kill time at home, but fly at least >=200ft AGL to minimize the chance of folk noticing it going by overhead and having a reason to complain.

That's great advice. There should never be any obstacles between the remote controller and Mavic. When the remote controller signal is blocked, RTH will be automatically initiated.
Thanks for the reply.. Here's more of an example of what I mean..

That guy is flying it around his neighborhood.. Is that OK / safe to do if he went a little further to explore around? I'm guessing he couldn't see it the entire time (LOS)?

Flying Vlos is mainly because you are able to react to the drone having issues as you are able to SEE it. Also flying within VLOS will normally give you the best signal conditions.

will flying beyond VLOS cause you problems?

YES if you are inexperienced and do not have a good working knowledge and relationship with your RC.

The further you fly the more chance you will have off signal degradation and complete loss off video feed especially in built up areas or areas with heavy interference.

Flying BVLOS is SEEN as a very risky venture by some.

Having said that with experience and knowledge BVLOS is also seen by some as the only way to fly.

Gain a lot of experience in control. learn how the Mavic functions, start slowly and watch those NFZ's, Helicopters, signal strength, satellites, birds you can barely see, bee attacks, etc etc the list goes on.

i guess what i am saying is if you are asking the question you are not ready for BVLOS just yet.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
That guy is flying it around his neighborhood.. Is that OK / safe to do if he went a little further to explore around? I'm guessing he couldn't see it the entire time (LOS)?
Ah, you're talking about VLOS.

Is it safe? It can be very safe if you know how to pilot your aircraft. Is it legal? It's not legal in the US. See more details here.

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.. This forum is great!

It's not legal in the US. See more details here.

So looks like you can get a waiver for this?

Waivers to Certain Small UAS Operating Rules
The small UAS rule (14 CFR part 107) includes the option to apply for a certificate of waiver, which allows for a small UAS operation to deviate from certain operating rules if the FAA finds that the proposed operation can be performed safely.

• Waivable sections of part 107
  • Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft (§ 107.25)*
  • Daylight operation (§ 107.29)
  • Visual line of sight aircraft operation (§ 107.31)*
  • Visual observer (§ 107.33)
  • Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft systems (§ 107.35)
  • Yielding the right of way (§ 107.37(a))
  • Operation over people (§ 107.39)
  • Operation in certain airspace (§ 107.41)
  • Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft (§ 107.51)
*No waiver of this provision will be issued to allow the carriage of property of another by aircraft for compensation or hire.

Applicants should submit their waiver requests to the FAA as early as possible. Processing time depends on the complexity of the request; however the agency strives to respond within 90 days.

Certificates of waiver may include specific special provisions designed to ensure that the small UAS operation provides an equivalent level of safety as part 107.

• Standard special provisions for part 107 waivers (coming soon)

So looks like you can get a waiver for this?
Yes, if you're flying commercially. That means you'd also need to have a Remote Pilot Airman Certificate.

Reactions: Blades
Yes, if you're flying commercially. That means you'd also need to have a Remote Pilot Airman Certificate.

Good lord this is getting complicated lol.. So I don't need to register with the FAA if it's just for a hobby too, right?

Commercially.. What exactly would that be?

So I don't need to register with the FAA if it's just for a hobby too, right?
That's correct. All you need to do is follow the laws in the "Fly for Fun" column here.

Commercially.. What exactly would that be?
You're flying to make money or helping someone else make money.

That's correct. All you need to do is follow the laws in the "Fly for Fun" column here.

You're flying to make money or helping someone else make money.

Fly for Fun
Must be registered if over 0.55 lbs. (online)

So wait.. Looks like you do have to register?

That hasn't been updated since the court ruled against them...

Has anyone heard if they are appealing?

The fact they haven't changed the website suggests they may be...

Fly for Fun
Must be registered if over 0.55 lbs. (online)

Not currently. The rule to register was just thrown out. BUT, you can expect that congress will screw up another part of our lives by giving the FAA more authority over our hobbies. Bad enough that Feinstein is trying to push a bill freeing states and municipalities the right to control where and how we fly.

Reactions: Blades
I got my drone on Monday but have yet to even fly it.. Hoping to go today.. I had a question about LOS though.. Everyone says to make sure you have LOS to avoid any potential issues..

Thanks

My normal neighborhood had lots of WIFI interference while low to the ground (house level) rising up 30-40 feet cleared the interference and no problems. I forget the actual text but it was clearly from local WIFI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElNancio