DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wait, How about this.....

Mrprop365

Reactions
Back with a question about flying in Manhattan. To summarize the issue, basically the airspace is unrestricted but its illegal to take off due to city policy's. sooo i recall reading the description on a tethered battery pack system that gives you 2.5 hour battery life through a battery placed on the ground and a long cable running up to the drone. they mention that this make your drone able to fly in more places because it doesn't have "unlimited range" or something like that. so back to my question: what if i fly my tethered drone up to 150 feet and then then drone untethers through a dropper or something, is this considered "taking off"?

desprate to fly

Aside from the fact that the tether is dangerous to the drone itself, it can snag on things, and, possibly, what is beneath the tether, I would be rather surprised if the restriction did not also apply to where the pilot was located. I.e. if you yourself were on council/city property then you are likely to be 'up the creek'.
I'd also suggest you check whether or not dropping something from the drone is legal.

Reactions: Cafguy
@anything that flies unfortunately NO is the simple answer ,the tethered drone you mentioned needs the ground station, which houses the power supply to the drone ,it cant fly indepentdantly ,without being tethered ,so it comes under different flight rules and regulations
these sorts of drones are in a private grounds setting ,and are used mainly for security activities ,and are often flown automatically using AI to control them

Try flying a kite or a balloon in downtown of any city with a GoPro attached and see how it goes.

It is a tethered flight. 🤔

☮️

Dropping the tether would be a No-No but MA2 317 brings up a good point. Just like here in L.A., Public safety ordinaces would most likely prohibit a " tethered Drone"
I have seen them used for small "repeater stations" but the whole thing is kinda bulky- not to mention Heavy.

A tethered drone is still a drone by FAA statutes, and its unlikely a state of city would find differently.

Reactions: AZDave
Back with a question about flying in Manhattan. To summarize the issue, basically the airspace is unrestricted but its illegal to take off due to city policy's. sooo i recall reading the description on a tethered battery pack system that gives you 2.5 hour battery life through a battery placed on the ground and a long cable running up to the drone. they mention that this make your drone able to fly in more places because it doesn't have "unlimited range" or something like that. so back to my question: what if i fly my tethered drone up to 150 feet and then then drone untethers through a dropper or something, is this considered "taking off"?

desprate to fly
Take a look at the full rule on your municipality regulation. Ive found that most have to create provisions and exceptions in order not to prevent the use of drones for PD ,fire and rescue as well as other municipality use. They usually have exceptions to regulations for flight. "Must be licensed UAS pilot"(part 107 registered pilot), Have to get a permit, etc... Then figure out the best way to comply. Maybe its as easy as getting your part 107 license to fly. The other option is check with AMA to see if there are any rc fields in your area . Just a couple of ideas.

Where would you launch from?.....Nassau? Westchester? New Jersey......you know you cannot launch from within the City limits...you are going to have a line dangling from 150 feet up in the air across all that area, including waterways?...You don't think something is going to snag it and pull it right out of the sky?...And how far away are you going to fly from launch site?...sounds like BVLOS...so a lot of factors make it a big NO

Reactions: projectarjun

desprate to fly
To "Desperate to Fly" first let me thank those members who already replied to you with such patience and thoughtfulness. My first reaction to your question was "is this person for real"and I'm sorry for this reaction. But many of us are serious and responsible hobbyists and/or commercial UAS pilots. Some of us have taken the time to read the UAS regulations and even taken an exam for Pilot 107 certificate. Remember that it is a shared responsibility that we all must take to ensure that we can fly another day. There are politicians and large corporate entities who want to take away our ability to fly our drones. Please don't take this in the wrong way but we cannot 'be desperate to fly" but rather patient and responsible, so that we (collectively) "don't become that guy".
PS. There are places in NYC you can fly from and even get some nice photos, please see prior postings. HFTA

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks