DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Props

Huge Bama Fan

Reactions
Today when I was checking props I no noticed that the props had a fair about of slack at the pivot point. I swapped them out just to be safe. I know that they will loosen up some but what amount is acceptable.

Reactions: Former Member
I don't think there should be much slack at all unless you were pushing them down. Did all the little locks look okay?

Edit:. Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant rotational back and forth slack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Hey Huge Bama Fan

That’s one I wish I could answer. The link below contains NASA’s test data on a couple of composit materials. I did see a tremendous difference in open hole tension between plastics and carbon fiber. A no brained of course, but I only mention plastic do to the center hub being plastic, thus the weak link.

I will add, I recently purchased some carbon fiber props shaped like the quiet MPP props. These were attached using threaded fasteners as opposed to braded fasteners. Not at all a good performer at all. The screws backed out. Lucky I caught it in time.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970005119.pdf

the props had a fair about of slack at the pivot point.

A fair amount of swivel at the silver rivet is not going to hurt you. Some "slop" will hurt you depending on where the slop is coming from and what type of slop it is.

Over time and many opening and closing "folds", some DJI OEM props will loosen to the point where the blade will fall down on it's own if held at the hub. Thats ok, I have many blades like that. If the slop is coming from the rivet, and the slop is coming from any other direction than open and closed, it's time to replace it. Just check the rivet to make sure the hub part of the blade is still in tact, and if it is, the blades are fine.

Another place to check on the blades for wear are the 3 hub tabs that can wear out over time. If the tabs wear out, the blade will not lock into place, and you could risk a blade flying off.

Reactions: locoman and Mako79
When you say “side to side” is that in a direction, when mounted, towards the ground and then up?

I would like offer an example borrowed from the method of measuring the wear in a bicycle chain. I’ve cycled some 26k + miles on my Klein Quantum Pro. The standard I was taught is that the life of a chain has reached its end when 12 inches of links can be moved a total of 1/8 in from compressed to stretched out in a streight line.

I think this tune could be applied to the Mavic prop as it too is similar to a link in a chain. The secret is, what are the numbers.

I’ll try to take some blades to work next week.
Maybe they can be dissected To get some hard numbers such as wall thickness and rivet geometry.

I’ve been worried about slinging off a blade since day one.

Another place to check on the blades for wear are the 3 hub tabs that can wear out over time. If the tabs wear out, the blade will not lock into place, and you could risk a blade flying off.
+1000

I think this is a critical check. I check mine once a month.
I think all props should be replaced if the Mavic has made any impact. Micro fractures on these tabs can NOT be seen. At a few thousand revs, the tabs will fail and may cause prop loss mid flight.

When you say “side to side” is that in a direction, when mounted, towards the ground and then up?

I would like offer an example borrowed from the method of measuring the wear in a bicycle chain. I’ve cycled some 26k + miles on my Klein Quantum Pro. The standard I was taught is that the life of a chain has reached its end when 12 inches of links can be moved a total of 1/8 in from compressed to stretched out in a streight line.

I think this tune could be applied to the Mavic prop as it too is similar to a link in a chain. The secret is, what are the numbers.

Maybe they can be dissected To get some hard numbers such as wall thickness and rivet geometry.

What I mean is while holding hub I can move and twist the prop before I get any resistance from the screw. This is on DJI PP rotors btw. I have but about 55 miles of flying on them. I'll go back and see how much time that they have on them.

+1000

I think this is a critical check. I check mine once a month.
I think all props should be replaced if the Mavic has made any impact. Micro fractures on these tabs can NOT be seen. At a few thousand revs, the tabs will fail and may cause prop loss mid flight.
Don't think that MAVIC props spin at few thousand revs as You say.
While idling on the ground, speed is about 160 RPM (2.6 revolutions per second)
While in the air it goes to about 500 RPM (8.3 revolutions per second)
I do however agree props should be thoroughly inspected after minor bumps and exchanged without hesitation after a major crash.

Don't think that MAVIC props spin at few thousand revs as You say.
While idling on the ground, speed is about 160 RPM (2.6 revolutions per second)
While in the air it goes to about 500 RPM (8.3 revolutions per second)
I do however agree props should be thoroughly inspected after minor bumps and exchanged without hesitation after a major crash.

Take that number x10 = 5000rpm

With the props mounted I could rock the clockwise and counterclockwise the 1 to mm

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arny