DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about "staying power" of RTH

Pabloindallas

Reactions
Once the RTH is engaged and the drone is returning to home, will it successfully make it back to starting point even if the RC goes on the fritz and quits working? (I had some interference from a cell tower that causes me to ask.) Thanks!

Once the RTH is engaged and the drone is returning to home, will it successfully make it back to starting point even if the RC goes on the fritz and quits working? (I had some interference from a cell tower that causes me to ask.) Thanks!
yes provided you have enough battery to get home

Just like it says in the manual, if control signal is lost, the drone will RTH.
No RC needed at all and cell towers or interference don't matter either.
Try it for yourself by flying out >100 feet in a large, clear area and switch off your controller to see what happens and get a better understanding of how RTH works.

RTH is only as good as your settings are. You should have the altitude set to clear any obstructions, and make sure your home point is where you think it is. Whenever I take off, I make sure that DJI Go has confirmed that my home point has been set where I want it so that if I lose controller connection, it will land where it took offf from. Otherwise, it might not RTH where I think it should.

Just like it says in the manual, if control signal is lost, the drone will RTH.
No RC needed at all and cell towers or interference don't matter either.
Try it for yourself by flying out >100 feet in a large, clear area and switch off your controller to see what happens and get a better understanding of how RTH works.

I remember doing that years ago with my P2V, turning the TX off and seeing what happens, took some balls to do but yep it came back and landed where it recorded it’s home point.;)

Many, many times, I've intentionally turned of my transmitter, set the controller on the seat of my car, and waited for the drone to come back home. It's NEVER failed. If you've configured your RTH parameters correctly, and you've done your pre-flight with care, what's the concern?

Last edited:
Safest bet is find an open field and see what happens. Start off close if you are unsure and go out a little further. Like mentioned earlier, make sure your RTH altitude is high enough to clear any potential obstacles

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d