DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH not working and related question re: landing pad.

eflyguy

Reactions
I searched here, on RC Groups, and on the DJI forum and can't find what I am looking for.

I can't get RTH and AutoLand to work. The app shows the function was cancelled when I press and hold either the icon on the screen, or the button on the remote. I did read one comment somewhere about it possibly having the height set too low, so I adjusted it up to over 10m, but still not working. No matter what height I am at, i get the same notification and constant beeping from the remote. GPS is good, by the way. Home point updates pretty much immediately when I fire everything up.

I also want to know if the Mini 3 can utilize a large landing pad, or whether that's required. I understand the benefits of protecting it from debris and such, but my question is specifically regarding the auto-land function, whether it will guarantee a precise landing location?

The landing pad question is separate from the RTH not working, by the way. From the manual and what I've read, RTH should function from any in-range distance and the pad would not be visible until it got close using GPS. I already picked up a landing pad but it doesn't seem to be a lot of use if I have to always bring the drone back and land manually.

I can't get RTH and AutoLand to work. The app shows the function was cancelled when I press and hold either the icon on the screen, or the button on the remote.
Can you explain in more detail what the problem is?
Why do you say that you "can't get RTH and Autoland to work" ?

I also want to know if the Mini 3 can utilize a large landing pad, or whether that's required. I understand the benefits of protecting it from debris and such, but my question is specifically regarding the auto-land function, whether it will guarantee a precise landing location?
Your Mini 3 doesn't have the Precision Landing function and will use GPS alone to return to home.
GPS doesn't have sufficient accuracy to provide a precision landing.
From the manual and what I've read, RTH should function from any in-range distance and the pad would not be visible until it got close using GPS. I already picked up a landing pad but it doesn't seem to be a lot of use if I have to always bring the drone back and land manually.
Your drone won't "see" the landing pad and in an RTH autoland, it's just using GPS to bring it back.

If you are concerned about where the drone lands, you can cancel RTH any time, resume control and land the drone wherever you choose rather than hoping some dumb automation will do it for you.

As I said in my original post, when I press and hold either the RTH/auto-land icon on the screen, or the Pause/RTH button on the remote, app shows the function was cancelled and the remote beeps continually. The warning in the app shows up in a red box across the top.

I can live with it not having precision landing but I would like to be able to have it come back to near where I took off.

I am curious why the manual specifically calls out the vision system under auto landing. The auto landing never works either.Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 18.12.34.png

I searched here, on RC Groups, and on the DJI forum and can't find what I am looking for.

I can't get RTH and AutoLand to work. The app shows the function was cancelled when I press and hold either the icon on the screen, or the button on the remote. I did read one comment somewhere about it possibly having the height set too low, so I adjusted it up to over 10m, but still not working. No matter what height I am at, i get the same notification and constant beeping from the remote. GPS is good, by the way. Home point updates pretty much immediately when I fire everything up.

The landing pad question is separate from the RTH not working, by the way. From the manual and what I've read, RTH should function from any in-range distance and the pad would not be visible until it got close using GPS. I already picked up a landing pad but it doesn't seem to be a lot of use if I have to always bring the drone back and land manually.
I'm reading you saying "Press and Hold". You might try just Press and Release. Don't hold button down. That may be what is cancelling the command. justsayin'

Reactions: jimlips and EricJT
The manual states to press and hold the button on the remote. When I do that, it gives the error. It's not in a red box like I remembered, I just flew again at night and got the warning again whether I used the button on the remote or pressed the icon on the screen. Single press on the remote button freezes the drone in-flight, holding it gives the error. Single press of RTH icon on screen does nothing, holding it gives the error. If I fly over to near where I took off, the icon changes to an auto-land symbol (straight arrow), slightly different from the RTH symbol (swooped arrow as in the screenshot.) When the symbol changes to auto-land, a single press will bring up the box with the round "countdown" symbol, and land the drone if I tap and hold that symbol. I will try the RTH again at a further distance tomorrow, but it did show the icon when I flew away from the take-off/home point, so I don't understand why it won't work as described in the manual.Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 18.29.06.pngnight flight.jpg

Last edited:
As I said in my original post, when I press and hold either the RTH/auto-land icon on the screen, or the Pause/RTH button on the remote, app shows the function was cancelled and the remote beeps continually. The warning in the app shows up in a red box across the top.
It sounds like you just aren't using the button properly?
I can live with it not having precision landing but I would like to be able to have it come back to near where I took off.
It will, but GPS is only accurate to within a few feet.
I am curious why the manual specifically calls out the vision system under auto landing. The auto landing never works either.View attachment 170644
That's not referring to landing.
It's about position holding while hovering.
If you hover at a low enough height for VPS to work, over a surface that's suitable for VPS to use, it will hold position with greater precision than GPS alone can.

Last edited:
Reactions: EricJT and eflyguy
A Home Point must be recorded AND flying a minimum of 5-metres from take-off point for RTH function to become available. This likely explains why you see the ‘curved’ downward pointing arrow to the ‘H’ when your aircraft is sufficiently far enough away.

Why 5-metres? That’s pretty much the basic level accuracy of GPS and it ensures your aircraft isn’t above the takeoff point as far as the GPS determined position indicates.

The 5-metre distance also comes into play when RTH is initiated. Less than 5-metres from the takeoff point and the aircraft will land where it is.

Precision Landing on some models can land within inches of the takeoff point - but height and distance from the takeoff point when RTH is initiated depends also on what what triggered the RTH - such as low battery.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
A Home Point must be recorded AND flying a minimum of 5-metres from take-off point for RTH function to become available. This likely explains why you see the ‘curved’ downward pointing arrow to the ‘H’ when your aircraft is sufficiently far enough away.

Why 5-metres? That’s pretty much the basic level accuracy of GPS and it ensures your aircraft isn’t above the takeoff point as far as the GPS determined position indicates.

The 5-metre distance also comes into play when RTH is initiated. Less than 5-metres from the takeoff point and the aircraft will land where it is.

Precision Landing on some models can land within inches of the takeoff point - but height and distance from the takeoff point when RTH is initiated depends also on what what triggered the RTH - such as low battery.
For some models the 5m mentioned above is 20m.

Here's a snip from pg 16 of the min 3 (not pro) user manual. The mini3pro has different RTH behaviour as it can use its obstacle avoidance sensors (ref pages 16 - 17)
1701351570190.png

On my mini3pro RTH is initiated by one long press of the RTH/pause button on the controller. The controller then beeps for the duration of the RTH operation. A short press of the same button causes the drone to brake and hover.

Yup, it's definitely more than 5m. I went to a park earlier and flew out a good bit further, estimate about 30m (didn't think to check the display) and it worked as I would expect, so good to know. The GPS position ended up being about a meter from the take-off home point every time I tried it, which is fine. If the ground is uneven or dusty, I'll just land manually once it gets down over the pad. Even though it can't find and land on the pad, I'll keep it as it's a nice big target for manual landing with the gimbel pointing straight down. Worked as documented once I flew out further than I had last night and during the day on Monday. Played around with the quick shots just to get comfortable with the area they use. A lot of my flying will be where they are big trees - which is why I hand't flown the required distance here at home, I am surrounded by trees.

Thanks for all the feedback. Thumbswayup

The manual states to press and hold the button on the remote. When I do that, it gives the error. View attachment 170646View attachment 170645
From memory of my use of the RTH button on the controller ( though this is not using a mini 3) I think the manual maybe open to misinterpretation.
I recollect I make only one prolonged press of the button to trigger RTH, I release the button once the app etc. indicates the drone has started an RTH. For me it is so routine I do not really pay attention to the process.

As for landing, I do not know if the RTH button on the controller can initiate a landing but memory of using the app button is that it requires holding until a 'tyre' is drawn around the button but I so rarely use the land button that I may be mistaken.
I normally just hold the throttle closed.

However, be aware that the drone can reject a landing site and then I think the app might require a response from the pilot. That might be a single short press of an app button or a long press that draws a 'tyre' but again, it is so routine I don't pay attention to what is required, I just do it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne