DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accurate Return to home not working for others?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've always had decent luck in getting my drone to land right back on the landing pad. Something better than 50% of the time. Recently however on the last 10 or 15 flights it has decided to land anywhere from 3 to 10 feet from a landing pad that was in the middle of a very plain area. Should have been good contrast. I've ensure I had good GPS lock and went up to 30 feet...tried some at 20 feet as I've heard both suggested heights to use, and every time it's has been way off. I can't recall if there has been a firmware update since things were "good". We've had a lot of cold, snowy weather and haven't flown much lately. This issue has be on both my Avata and Mavic 3 Pro. Not entirely sure if the Avata even had precision landing... Any thoughts or similar issues of late or is this just an oddity explained only by the gods? Youtube tell me Calibrate the IMU....

Last edited:
You've been lucky with the Avata, it doesn't include the Precision Landing feature (DJI FPV does).

The Mavic 3 is a mystery... it should work. The correct altitude to set the Landing image is 7m/20ft. Be very careful when ascending to that height that there are no other control inputs; any pitch/roll/yaw will cancel PL for that flight.

You've been lucky with the Avata, it doesn't include the Precision Landing feature (DJI FPV does).

The Mavic 3 is a mystery... it should work. The correct altitude to set the Landing image is 7m/20ft. Be very careful when ascending to that height that there are no other control inputs; any pitch/roll/yaw will cancel PL for that flight.
Hey DO&O how close to HOME point does the Avata actually land?

(The Inertia Measurement Unit) should keep pace with what the GPS is saying but if not then inaccuracy occurs.
  1. Recalibrate the IMU.
  2. Recalibrate the compass before take off .
  3. Set the homepoint.
Try again.

Hey DO&O how close to HOME point does the Avata actually land?

Like @akdrone, mine usually makes it to within a few feet. However I never let it autoland, I always fly it to land literally between my feet. I'm always a bit wobbly and disoriented for a minute or so when I take off the goggles after a full battery, and don't want to walk to get it.

Did I mention you should sit when you fly FPV? Or you may fall over? 'Specially us old farts?

With the ducted props, you can fly that thing right up and slam into your shins, no problem. Done it.

I did try the goggles out, with camera view in the house...not even flying it and I did think I was getting disoriented...still waiting for good conditions, on a day when a guy I fly with ( @projectarjun ) is available to actually bring the drone somewhere and get it into the air

Reactions: projectarjun
With my m2p a measure of whether or not the drone will be executing a precision landing is, once it gets over the home point it turns to face in the same direction that it was pointing when it took off.
If it doesn't turn then the take-off was not suitable.
I do not know if your drones have the same feature.

Reactions: Feek
If you're going straight up and 20 or so feet an pausing perhaps there is dirt or something on the bottom sensor? My understanding is that it takes an internal image for reference, and then matches that on the landing since GPS isn't that accurate. Just to make sure it wasn't some update, I just did a quick test with mine, actually used the landing pad which I never used. Was windy and drone drifted a little bit right on lift off. The auto hover position on take off it was already a little to the left and the landing spot, while not center of the pad, was almost identical to the hover position on take off. I flew about 5 minutes, maybe 900 feet away before RTH. Normally I don't use the pad, but and it does a good job of finding the center of the sidewalk tile.

landing2.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J