DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home option disappears from RC Screen

Anchoy

Reactions
I always wait for the "Home Point Updated" message before I launch my Mavic 3 Pro. When I want to return to home, the RTH option appears on the remote controller screen as expected most of the time, but 10-20% of the time, the Return to Home option isn't there and I have to choose "Land" and land manually. Why does this happen? (NOTE: It has been pointed out that I can always try pressing the RTH hardware button on the controller, but when the RTH option disappears from the screen, it worries me.

Last edited:
Mobilehomer might have been asking " When the problem occurs how close is the drone to the home point?".

The Return to Home is a Button and it should always be there on your controller.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
You raise a good point. Just because the option disappears from the RC screen doesn't mean it won't work. Next time the option disappears from the screen I'll try pressing the hardware button to see what happens.

This happens sometimes when the drone is 500 to 1000 feet away from the home point.
Ok that gets rid of that idea, any warning messages on the screen about unsuitable landing spot? The drone can reject a landing spot.
BTW if there is no RTH button on the screen then, aside from pressing the button on the controller, how did you get the drone back to the home point?

If you know which flights this has occurred in post the flightless of one or two of them or post the flight log of the next flight in which it happens.

Ok that gets rid of that idea, any warning messages on the screen about unsuitable landing spot? The drone can reject a landing spot.
BTW if there is no RTH button on the screen then, aside from pressing the button on the controller, how did you get the drone back to the home point?

If you know which flights this has occurred in post the flightless of one or two of them or post the flight log of the next flight in which it happens.
I have to admit, although the RTH option disappeared from the RC screen display, I didn't try pushing the hardware RTH button on the controller. I will try this next time. Also, this is when the drone is still 500-1000 feet away, so there was no warning about an unsuitble landing spot. (I just navigated the drone back, as the camera was still working. I'm just worried about if this happens when the camera loses signal.)

I have to admit, although the RTH option disappeared from the RC screen display, I didn't try pushing the hardware RTH button on the controller. I will try this next time. Also, this is when the drone is still 500-1000 feet away, so there was no warning about an unsuitble landing spot. (I just navigated the drone back, as the camera was still working. I'm just worried about if this happens when the camera loses signal.)
Remember about the flight log, I don't know if it will help but it won't hurt.
It might also be an idea to delete and reinstall the app.

If you have set your Max altitude lower than your drones return to home altitude the drone will not comply with the RTH command
Have you tried to move the homepoint farther away and then having it RTH? Maybe the drone is to close to the home point?

If you have set your Max altitude lower than your drones return to home altitude the drone will not comply with the RTH command
Have you tried to move the homepoint farther away and then having it RTH? Maybe the drone is to close to the home point?
I think you will find that it is impossible to set the RTH height higher than the Max height * and if the max height it is reduced to below the RTH height the RTH height will be reduced to the MAX height.

* the exception to this occurs when
a) the max height is limited by the floor of a restriction zone and
b) the floor of the restriction zone is below the max height

eg in a previous location you set the max height to 100m and the RTH height to 90m. at the new location you are under a restriction zone whose floor is at 60m. The RTH height will remain at 90m. I can't remember which max height the app displays but it wont let you break into the restriction zone. Thus if you started an RTH beyond the restriction zone the drone may climb to RTH height, start heading for home and get stuck at the wall of the restriction zone. Some drone (Suren's Mavic 3 ) will descend as it approaches the restriction zone and fly underneath it.

Reactions: Cafguy
I think you will find that it is impossible to set the RTH height higher than the Max height * and if the max height it is reduced to below the RTH height the RTH height will be reduced to the MAX height.

* the exception to this occurs when
a) the max height is limited by the floor of a restriction zone and
b) the floor of the restriction zone is below the max height

eg in a previous location you set the max height to 100m and the RTH height to 90m. at the new location you are under a restriction zone whose floor is at 60m. The RTH height will remain at 90m. I can't remember which max height the app displays but it wont let you break into the restriction zone. Thus if you started an RTH beyond the restriction zone the drone may climb to RTH height, start heading for home and get stuck at the wall of the restriction zone. Some drone (Suren's Mavic 3 ) will descend as it approaches the restriction zone and fly underneath it.
Good suggestions. I will look into this!

I always wait for the "Home Point Updated" message before I launch my Mavic 3 Pro. When I want to return to home, the RTH option appears on the remote controller screen as expected most of the time, but 10-20% of the time, the Return to Home option isn't there and I have to choose "Land" and land manually. Why does this happen? (NOTE: It has been pointed out that I can always try pressing the RTH hardware button on the controller, but when the RTH option disappears from the screen, it worries me.
When you press "Land" there should be 2 options - land and RTH. If the RTH option is not there then I would expect a possible firmware inconsistency between the drone and the controller. I would recheck for the latest updates and if still missing, then use the Assistant program and force a refresh of the latest firmware.

Keep in mind that you can always fly the drone back to the home point with the aid of the map view. It shows the home point, the drone's location, the course to the home point, and the drone's heading, You don't have to rely on the camera view at all.

Reactions: Anchoy
When you press "Land" there should be 2 options - land and RTH. If the RTH option is not there then I would expect a possible firmware inconsistency between the drone and the controller. I would recheck for the latest updates and if still missing, then use the Assistant program and force a refresh of the latest firmware.
That's the thing: Most of the time the RTH option is there. I have the latest firmware. Some have suggested the drone might be too close to the home point in these cases. I'm going to look into this.

If your worried about the bird returning, just look at the screen bottom showing you the RTH countdown distance.

You need to push the RTH hardware button TWICE , the 1ST push of the button put the drone in a hoover , the 2nd push activation will engage the RTH function. I've been caught out with this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne